Another Buildroot question

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

People. I can`t find how to recompile kernel in buildroot. The problem is that i want to make changes in setup.c to enable 2 USARTs. But in makefile i don`t see options to clean only linux kernel. I can delete linux directory make rootclean and the make again. BUT IT WILL DELETE MY CHANGES in setup.c....
Its really driving me crazy:))
Please, i need help.

Make a patch and put it in target/device/Atmel//kernel-patches

Then it will be reapplied every time you delete the Linux directory for doing a new build.

Hans-Christian

Dear hce can You post here WHAT EXACTLY must i do to create that patch.... Must i create it in that dir? or in root one? must be it context-enalbed or no....

1. Install quilt
2. cd into the kernel source directory
3. Run "quilt new enable-two-usarts.patch"
4. Run "quilt edit arch/avr32/boards/atngw100/setup.c" and make the changes you need.
5. Run "quilt refresh"
6. cp patches/enable-two-usarts.patch /target/device/Atmel//kernel-patches

You can also just delete the .unpacked and .configured files inside project_build_avr32_nofpu/project/linux-2.6.xx

Place your patch inside target/device/Atmel//kernel-patches. Make sure that the filename starts with linux-2.6.xx-
. Then run make. I'm starting to become a bit of a buildroot maniac now :)

I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Thank You people!!! Very Very much!

hce wrote:
Make a patch and put it in target/device/Atmel//kernel-patches

Then it will be reapplied every time you delete the Linux directory for doing a new build.

Is there a way to create patches for u-boot similar to the way it is done for the kernel and place it somewhere so that it is applied during the build?

Quote:
Is there a way to create patches for u-boot similar to the way it is done for the kernel and place it somewhere so that it is applied during the build?

Just found out how it is done..

Place the patch in /target/bootloader/u-boot
rm -rf project_build_avr32_nofpu/atstk1002/u-boot-1.3.0
make u-boot

Would appreciate if the experts correct me if I am wrong..

patches for u-boot is placed in the target/u-boot directory (or was it target/bootloaders/u-boot?).

Hans-Christian

highlight... btw.. is there a forum-functionality to remember specific threads?

Is there a way to get it to just compile the current state of the kernel source tree, such as if you are experimenting with a change but not ready to make a formal patch of it?

I've found that it doesn't overwrite my changes to the kernel tree, but it does simply ignore them - it's as if the makefile is missing a whole bunch of dependencies. Even if I delete the object files made from the modified c files, they are not rebuilt, and instead it's apparently using some stale, partially linked object files elsewhere.

To trigger a rebuild of the kernel you must delete the project_build_avr32/board/linux-blah/arch/avr32/boot/images/uImage

Hans-Christian