Total votes: 0

space , no too cold...

Great battery

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

What is your application?

They are good for high discharge applications. They were popular in the R/C heli community for awhile until the price of Lipos finally became sane. Nice thing about the A123 cells is you can charge them at 3C.

Thats what they use in that electric dragster that holds all the 1/4 mile records. Tesla has 6800 A123 AA cells in cigar box size modules with custom cell V and T monitoring and charging and cooling. 380V worth I think.

Imagecraft compiler user

About the Tesla roadster I've seen some movies. Looks great but expensive ($100k).
Lipo's are a bit cheaper and have some drawbacks.
Are there any alternative batteries that hold a lot of charge and are cheap?

What application is this for ? what type of voltage and current requirements are there ?

nick-123 wrote:
Are there any alternative batteries that hold a lot of charge and are cheap?

You do know about E = MC^2, don't you?

The deeper the capacity, the higher the cost.

So, in this case, E = $C^2.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Carl,

haha

Guy,

Voltage of lipo's are 3.8-4.2V. Current can be as high a tens of C's. E.g. 2Ah can deliver 20-60A until almost empty. Note: They should not be sucked dry below 3.8V if you want a long lifetime.
The A123 are a bit different. I do not yet know much about them apart from that they can deliver a lot of current, have a long lifetime, can be charged quickly and are safe to use (in contrast to lipo's). Drawbacks are bit more expensive, holds less charge per weight.

Nick

Yup the weight is why they lost popularity in the heli community. Lipos typically are rated at 20-30C these days. If you don't need 10's of ampere i would recommend nimh, until we know what type of current you require its hard to recommend anything.