2004 US/Canada Atmel seminars

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm not sure when they first announced it, but Atmel has a registration form on their site for the north american seminars.

http://www.atmel.com/seminar/Mcu/default.asp

As they have for the past few years, they are offering a nice perk for going. :D

Quote:

All registered attendees are eligible to receive the AVR JTAGICE In-Circuit Emulator or a $100 discount coupon, which can be used to purchase other development tools.

They always say "eligible", perhaps so they can back out of it if they want to. :(

Their list specifies June 25th for Chicago, IL. Does anybody know if it will actually be in Chicago rather than some far suburb as it's been in the past?

/* John Butera */

Hmm too bad it seems to be the JTAG ICE and not the new one :( They must be have announced it, because I just saw it today as well.

Regards,

-Colin

c_oflynn wrote:
Hmm too bad it seems to be the JTAG ICE and not the new one :(

Last year they had the Butterfly, which I never really got into. And the year before it was STK500 or ICE200. Since I already had an STK500, I got the ICE200, which doesn't work with any of the megas, so it ended up being more of a novelty for me than a real tool.

Yes they are moving towards debugWire and the JTAG-ICE mkII, but a plain JTAG-ICE lets you debug at least the high-end, feature-packed devices. Even if you are only developing for smaller devices, making things work on a larger device at least to debug is relatively easy.

If you have the JTAG-ICE, take the $100 discount on a mkII. If you don't have a JTAG-ICE already though, it's not as if you will be getting a tool that will be (completely) obsolete in the near future.

/* John Butera */

Yeah - I guess I really shouldn't be complaining about the generosity of Atmel :oops:

-Colin

I didn't see any pricing informatin on the web site. Is the seminar is free?

-Henk

Hmmf.

I see they don't have any seminars in Colorado. :?

Quote:
I didn't see any pricing informatin on the web site. Is the seminar is free?

I think so, all the previous ones have been!

I've been to several of these seminars. They are a good general introduction. But, if you already are using, or trying to use, an AVR, then they won't tell you much.

On the other hand, they do draw other AVR users in that area. Its a great chance to meet, and share "war" stories. You may even find out answers to questions from one of the other users. But, don't expect it from the seminar, itself.

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

I don't think they want to see hobbyists at these functions. They are really interested in guys in dark suits who want to order a million AVR's at the time. Thus, hobbyists don't qualify :(

Hi,

Quote:
I don't think they want to see hobbyists at these functions

They will know no different when you are there ;-)

I think the "Eligible" part is just because they want to have some discression. Like if they overbook or something they have the right to say "oh sorry, you are not eligible".

When you end up going to one put a warning on the board beforehand, if there are some other AVRFreaks in the area going to that one should be able to meet up...

Regards,

-Colin

Quote:
Thus, hobbyists don't qualify :cry:

If I were a hobbyist, I would still fill out the form and make them reject me (or not). The tricky entries are company affiliation, and end product. Be honest, but creative. :twisted:

They aren't necessarily after the guys who can sell millions. Nor are they after "suits" (I haven't worn one in many years). But, they definitely are after the people who would design an AVR into a "product" that has a potential for some sizable sales.

So, yes, these seminars are NOT targeted at hobbyists. But, if you happen to be a real EE or Embedded Systems programmer AND you are also interested in some hobby applications, they are likely to welcome you.

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!