1N5822 equivalent

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello,
I'm looking for a diode that can replace 1N5822( www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collater... ) in an H-Bridge setup using L298N IC.
Will BY228( www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/internal/w... ) do the work?

Nicu reSpawn.

SB340 might work. Check the datasheet.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

Those are quite different diodes.

1N5822 is rated at 40V reverse breakdown. BY228 is rated at 1650V.

1N5822 is rated at 3A average forward current. BY228 is NOT RATED for average forward current, only for peak.

1N5822 is rated at 0.95V at (almost) 10A peak forward while BY228 is rated at 1.5V with only 5A peak forward current.

If you are an engineering student, you REALLY should learn how to read such simple spec sheets!

So, the BY228 has a much higher forward drop, probably due to the doping needed to reach the really high reverse breakdown voltage.

If this diode is used in a PWM-driven H-bridge, I would not consider either suitable. If the H-bridge is just single speed on-off, then you could probably tolerate almost anything, including 1N400xx series.

Jim

Jim Wagner Oregon Research Electronics, Consulting Div. Tangent, OR, USA http://www.orelectronics.net

For fast switching circuits, use Schottky diodes for low voltage applications, and ultra fast diodes for higher voltages.

Because prices depend greatly on volumes, it might be cheaper to use the internal diode found in most power MOSFETS. E.G. The IRF series of MOSFETS are quite cheap in India because of their widespread use. You can get one for less than half the price of a comparable diode. :D

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Could you give us a little more information? What's your supply voltage and what are you driving? and whats the PWM frequency?

(Supply voltage is important here, rest are really just curiosity!)

P.S emuler the 1n5822 is a schottky.

My supply voltage will be 12V and I will be driving 2 DC motors. I don't know about the PWM Freq. yet, I'll have to find out.

Nicu reSpawn.