128A4U's wont program, 256A3B will

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I thought this might be an issue with my AVR ISP MK2, but maybe not, maybe it's a problem with my Xmega128A4U's, so I thought I would post here as a last ditch plea for help ; )

I have recently installed Studio 7 and it upgraded my AVRISP Mk 2's to 1.18.  Now I find I can't program any of my Xmega128A4U's. One of them is on a custom PCB that I have used to develop against for months in older version AS 6.2.

I can program my 256A3B breadboard  just fine. But A4U get:

07:57:35: [ERROR] Failed to enter programming mode. Error status received from tool: Result received is 0x02., ModuleName: TCF (TCF command: Device:startSession failed.)"

Another A4U gets Result receives is 0x03.

I can read the voltage of the board fine and it looks correct.

I tried removing the 10k pullup on reset line. No difference. I tried rolling back to firmware 1.17 and AVR Studio 6.2. No difference.

I have no idea how to proceed. I hate to throw out my PCB design and go back to square 1 and design it around 256A3B just because I know it will program.

Thanks for any insights

Mike in Alaska

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Fri. Dec 18, 2015 - 06:57 PM

I'm sensing this one is a dead end, google has offered me nothing useful on many attempts.

Are the PDI interfaces fragile?

I doubt if there would be any particular hardware difference with PDI on a A3B or an A4U.

I do not have an AVRISP-2. I have no problems with an ATMEL-ICE and a 32A4U.

David.

Last Edited: Wed. Dec 16, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Can anyone comment about the 0x02 or 0x03... what does this mean coming back from the programmer?

This reply has been marked as the solution. 

I received some more 128A4U's and an AVR-ICE (instead of AVR ISP Mk2) and built out another board and it programs fine.

The old boards, including the one which had programmed hundreds of times in the past, still do not work - even with the new AVR ICE.

All I can conclude is that AVR Studio 7 and AVRISP Mk2 conspired one day to kill 2 A4U somehow.

Moving on.