Freaks link to social media?

Pages

AdBlock removes them nicely, so I did not even know they existed there. Now I might just miss them on the new forum as well. And I'll be happy about it.

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

Quote:
I did not even know they existed there
They only seem to appear when you look at a thread not on the main page.

So it looks like you can "like" a thread.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Ok, let's be clear about a few things. First, I will grant that "connected" to social media is vague. We certainly don't have any desire to "force" anyone to use social media if they don't want to. But we would like to help enable others to use it if they so desire.

I'm going to ask everyone hear to take a deep breath, and try to look at AVR Freaks from a bit of a different view...

You guys use social media. Right here on AVR Freaks. You just may not be aware of it. Let me point out a few things:

- There's an Off Topic forum where people can feel free to talk about non-technical subjects and connect to others throughout the world on personal subjects. There are whole websites devoted to this kind of stuff, you guys just co-opted a forum for this purpose.

- There's a thread where you can post pictures of your latest project and tell a little about what's going on. There are whole websites devoted to this kind of stuff, you guys just co-opted a forum thread for this purpose.

- There's a thread where you can post pictures of yourself, and let others see you instead of a small "avatar". There are websites devoted to this kind of stuff, you guys just co-opted a forum for this purpose.

- There's a forum where you post documentation and tutorials about how to do things. Again there are websites, and tools to do this. It's called a wiki. Yes, AVR Freaks has a wiki, and yes, everyone knows it's slow. Yes, you're right, you deserve a much better wiki to do this sort of thing. And again, you guys just co-opted a forum for this purpose.

- There's a forum thread where the Freaks in Melbourne Australia can keep track of when to meet in person. Again, there are websites devoted to this purpose and a forum thread was just co-opted for this purpose.

I could go on.

But look: you ARE social. You're just using good ol' forum threads to accomplish these other tasks where more dedicated tools might help.

Yes, we want to make sure that there is a great forum experience. And there's also more to an online life than just forums. We're seeing what can be done.

Quote:
You guys use social media
True, but AVRfreaks is not constantly pumping out "targeted" ads or mine for as much information as possible out of user.

Everytime I log into Facebook I get a barrage of "meet single women" ads pushed at me.
OK I'm an Italian latin lover but enough is enough!!

And no flashing stuff in front of your eyes in Maximised mode here.

edit and speak of the devil... I just got yet one more email from Linked in trying to get me linked with people I have NO IDEA who they are. And don't I love the constant "update your profile" from them too! :evil:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Quote:

Hey--some of us have been accused of being >>anti<< social. Doesn't this thread bear that out? :twisted:

Not being a big social media person, I'm most familiar with Facebook and somewhat with LinkedIn. I can't see that either of those sites would be well set up for storing/searching the archive of previous threads on a subject. (LinkedIn--maybe)

js wrote:
Quote:
You guys use social media

OK I'm an Italian latin lover but enough is enough!!

And no flashing stuff in front of your eyes in Maximised mode here.

I got irritated by LinkedIn as well so I unsubscribed a few weeks ago. That feels much better :)

Nard

A GIF is worth a thousend words   She is called Sylvia (2018), lives at Mint18.3 https://www.linuxmint.com/

Dragon broken ? http://aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Dragon/Dragon.html for how-to-fix tips

Quote:

I got irritated by LinkedIn

I just have their emails filtered into a folder I rarely look at. Once in a blue moon I take a look and find something useful - like someone I really knew wanted to link. The other 100's of email just get wiped.

Wow. You guys get singularly focused on a bad experience in one place.

My point is that you like talking about your projects, and posting pictures of them. You like talking about what else goes on your life besides flipping bits in registers. You like helping out the new guys by writing tutorials. Some of you also like to meet up in real life.

Different websites serve different purposes.

Surely the purpose of these websites is to irritate the user with obtrusive adverts, discover your personal habits, and shower you with SPAM.

If the webpages are well written, they can be of benefit to participants and non-participants.

I suspect that once you open the door, we will all get flooded with personal emails for "becoming my FaceBook friend" or lover in the case of Mr Samperi.

David.

As I understand it you'd probably have social media link buttons somewhere on the site where they could be easily ignored by the troglodytes but used by those wanting them. Thus they would be essentially harmless to those of us afraid of them but usable by those who want to. I recently read somewhere that Facebook folks might click a Facebook like button and there will automatically be a like registered on their Facebook page that will be propagated to that persons friends if they have signed up for it. So potentially an engineering student could see a thread with something she likes and then by the click of a button tell all her friends who might them come here for a look see. I can see how this would have value to Atmel and how it wouldn't hurt the rest of us.

The main thing I think I'm seeing here is that a lot of us old farts don't know squat about social media and fear the unknown. I fully understand that folks with still functioning hormones seem to like social media and use it a lot, but I don't understand why. That may be a path to get the geezers here to back off. Somebody could tell us how social media is used by younger techies. Like the Facebook example I gave. Maybe Dean could explain why he uses twitter and how it helps him be a better twit? Seriously, get some young EE who uses this stuff to post a thread or tutorial on social media for engineers. Couldn't hurt?

Smiley

I think that Smiley has explained things perfectly.

I am terrified by the "unknown". And especially of being someone's "friend" when I have never met them.

David.

smileymicros wrote:

Smiley

Where can I "Like" this post?

Can't we get a forum where I can vote on these things! :wink:

Quote:

I use it because I enjoy complaining. But seriously, I originally used it for quick project updates ("New beta release", "oh god everything's on fire", etc.) and now use it as a quick brain-dump. Less so nowadays that Twitter is becoming aggressively anti-developer, meaning no RSS feeds, can't even access your own feed remotely without an API key.

Facebook: don't have it, don't want it. Tried it once, never again.

LinkedIn: signed up recently at the behest of my parents, believe it to be largely useless spam generator so far.

Facebook "Like" and other buttons are great; willingly injecting Facebook's code into arbitrary sites gives them a fantastic way to deliver targeted advertising to you everywhere you go. Thankfully I have industrial strength blockers to remove them all, but it's still irksome that I had to do it in the first place.

Essentially: For me 'Freaks is where I come for AVR (and more recently SAM D20) talk. The last think I personally want is another site trying to make me social. Google's already moving in that direction with semi-forced Google+ migrations, which means I'm already looking to move away from them.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Can one choose between social and antisocial applications?

I just unsubscribed from Linkedin endorsment notifications, got 2 emails about endorsment, one from my son in law and one from Larry Viesse, I'm sure these were OLD endorsments just being recycled by Linkedin just to get me to go to their site.

This drives me to drink!!

Attachment(s):

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Quote:
Can one choose between social and antisocial applications?

The Facebook-type "Like" voting controls do not seem to belong to this kind of fora as this one. That is because it is obvious the fact that 98,517 "likes" of an imbecile post ("liked" by an equal number of imbecile users) will never make that imbecile post in question any less imbecile; yet, it will be drawing the attention from other really useful messages with a lower "likes" count. In the same manner, a brilliant post with 7 "likes" only will be immensely ignored and will be lost in the sea of every other post with a "likes" count greater than that.

These "Like" buttons are meant to be used where they count for something, in places like popularity contests, for members screening, etc.; and this is the antipode of the true engineering fields. Except, of course, if dumbing the forum down by aiming at members quantity instead of quality is the marketing department's new goal.

Since we are here, let me quote a couple of recent messages regarding the so-called "social media" and their true function and purpose:

Giorgos_K wrote:
My strong objection on the use of the (euphemistically called) Social Networking Services is straightforward:

It is not that smart for anyone to give away these amounts of their personal information to be accumulated and be kept for ever to one only foreign (and probably hostile) entity that is misusing people's trust.

Having scattered your personal views, data and information all over the web is very different than having handed the whole package over to a single information-gathering agency that will take the full control and ownership of your personal data, just like the FaceBook/Tweeter/Disqus/etc. are, and doing from the beginning of their existence. In reality, they are dangerous fool-traps, sugarcoated with a vague concept of friendship.

Source
Giorgos_K wrote:
Facebook?
Do you mean that place which is full of "dumb fucks" according to its founder, Mark Zuckerberg?
Or that "CIA dream that came true" according to CIA deputy director Christopher Sartinsky?

No, my fellow AVRFreaks. I have chosen not to be a member (or even a part) of such disgraceful social charades.

Source

Most importantly, I hope to NEVER see a forum prompt in the lines of "Log in to Facebook by using your AVRFreaks account name and password" because such a partnership would certainly cost ATMEL a lot of their current AVRFreaks members who do not wish to be involved in such charades; a lot of current AVRFreaks members who have the brains and the knowledge required to keep this great technical forum not only afloat but amongst the crème de la crème of its kind; the very same members who made this forum a technical information goldmine.

-George

I hope for nothing; I fear nothing; I am free. (Nikos Kazantzakis)

EW wrote:
Where can I "Like" this post?

Can't we get a forum where I can vote on these things! :wink:

I would like to use this opportunity to repeat something I said elsewhere - I would really really like a voting system here on AVRFreaks. I trust that the majority of the members will vote up the good stuff and vote down the dreck. This will help users get quickly to the good answers and might help the dreck posters to learn how their posts appear to the overall consensus.

Just because anybody can type in anything doesn't mean that it has the same value as what someone else contributes. And folks, especially novices, really have no way to curate the comments since the reason they are asking the question is that they don't know the answer. All you have to do is use stackexchange a few times to see how incredibly valuable this can be to getting good answers.

Yes, it does cripple the social aspect that some folks like hang out and comment on every thread whether they have anything to say or not, but I think that kicking that to the curb is a good thing. And maybe someone who is always batting less than 0 will get his feelings hurt and not contribute as much since folks are voting his posts down, but that too is a good thing. How else will folks learn to provide good technical help if they don't get feedback on the quality of their contributions?

I take as a given here that the majority of contributors know quality and [redacted] when they see it and will fairly vote their opinions.

So PLEASE push a voting system to the folks designing the new AVRFreaks. IMHO that single addition will do more to improve the quality of answers and shunt aside the [redacted] than anything I can think of.

Smiley

smileymicros wrote:

Just so you know, in the meetings we had last week, this was definitely one feature that was brought up that everyone agreed on for the exact reasons you mention.

It does help a community separate the wheat from the chaff and I think it will go a long way to improve the general "atmosphere" here.

So, yes, it's a very much desired feature on our end too. I'll see that it happens.

Eric.

1. If you ask the question you have to be prepared for negative opinions re the matter.

2. I speculate that most resident 'freaks are largely content with the general functionality of 'freaks, but want i) the quirks ironed out, and ii) other added functionality than social media integration. (I have described my personal wishes in another post.)

3. Without checking, I estimate that the average age of the posters in this thread is >40 rather than <20. This says something about what answers you would expect from the residents.

4. If you want to attract new people to AVRfreaks then don't ask the people already here.

5. The numerical poll result speaks clearky about the opinion of 'freaks members that care about the issue (the "definitively" votes are 3 percent, the nays and don't cares are 97 percent of the casted votes). Everything else is debate, and your pig/engineer/mud allegory (which I love!) holds.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Quote:

Everything else is debate,

Which is why I created a poll (and originally suggested no debate). However I don't think Atmel probably care what the people already here think. As you say the average age of "regulars" is likely 40 not 20 and we don't represent the kind of people they are trying to attract because when we use social networking we only use it for social purposes only and not messaging our other geek mates. So what we like or want has very little to do with what they are likely to deliver.

To be honest, my personal old fart characteristics are such highly developed that i simply have no idea how a connection of AVRfreaks with those social blabla things might work.

I would have no problem with some elegantly placed facebook "like" buttons that don't get into my way of following a technical discussion, but if such connections would lead to a situation where part of the information flow would only be accessible when one actually follows/uses those social media connections, then i would indeed have a problem.

Einstein was right: "Two things are unlimited: the universe and the human stupidity. But i'm not quite sure about the former..."

I wrote:

I was absolutely certain that it was Eric that set up the poll. I was wrong. Thus the above quoted item is crap. Sorry for the static..

I also think folks are over worrying about this. If I'm understanding Atmel's intent,then we are talking about a few unobtrusive buttons placed on the site. We already have a bunch of buttons that I never use. Look at the top of a thread and you'll see 'member list' 'user group' and 'rss' - I've never used any of those. Look at the base of any post and you'll see 'profile' 'pm' 'www' and 'quote' - I've used 'pm' and 'quote'. Also notice the very bottom of the thread there are another group of buttons, most I've never used. I never even realized we had a print button until I was looking at the long pill at the bottom.

What I'm saying is that we already have a bunch of buttons that most of us probably never use. A bar of social media buttons can equally be ignored by those of us who have no interest. They won't hurt us and they might help the folks teethed on the Internet.

At some point the folks at Atmel should probably expound on the concept 'social media' so we'll know what they are really talking about. I'm hearing stuff here like 'if they start following me around I'm jumping out a window!'

The following around stuff is inherent in many common Internet facilities like Google, and used to place ads on places that want those sorts of ads like Hotmail. But I can't see any reason for AVRFreaks to have them. Why would a company allow ads from other companies on one of its websites?

Also, there won't be any 'following around' because Atmel has no way of knowing where you've been like Google or Bing do. They might pay Google or Bing to place microcontroller ads on sites visited by folks who have previously searched for microcontroller terms - but that has nothing to do with AVRFreaks.

AVRFreaks isn't some site trying to make money off the eyes of visitors by selling them to advertisers. Hackaday and similar web sites with no corporate sponsorship must make money to keep the lights on so they do sell advertising that is likely based on social media behavior, but think it through - what could Atmel possible get by selling the information it gets from us posting on AVRFreaks?

So bottom line IMHO, the problem here among the coffee club is fear of the unknown - we really don't understand social media very well and what we do know, we hate. However, I'll bet that we all are exposed to social media features on other websites and never even notice them and those are the sorts of features AVRFreaks planners are studying: innocuous button links that don't have to be used.

So Atmel should ASAP explain what social media means to the planners lurking in the dark shadows that surround AVRFreaks so we can stop jumping every time a rabbit farts.

Smiley

I don't know exactly what it will look like. However, we did talk about having exactly what you said: a drop down list of various social media buttons, placed out of the way, and easily ignored.

Look, we don't want this to be intrusive. We don't want to ruin your experience, only improve it. We're looking to do more than just bandage the existing platform, with spot fixes here and there. But, yes, we want to add new features too. Yes, it's absolutely imperative that nothing from here gets lost; we want to migrate all existing posts and threads to the new platform.

As to the poll: Cliff set up this poll. I started a different thread asking you guys what you want to see. Separately I started the other poll about what HW platform you want to use to connect to AVR Freaks.

Quote:

. I started a different thread asking you guys what you want to see.

It was simply because there were so many posts in that thread saying "don't ruin it by pandering to moronic teenagers" (OK, maybe not those words) that I posted this poll.

Check. I think we got that one covered. ;)

Pages