Glitch Generator

Go To Last Post
9 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever designed a simple glitch generator?

I have a system I've been debugging for a few weeks and I need to test how it survives glitches and for how long, so I'm thinking of making a small test widget.

Have thought about using a '555 or a small AVR connected to two FETs (a small N to a big P) to disconnect the power line for increasing lengths of time. Current is circa 1A. Maybe get the AVR to read a pot and turn that into a timescale starting at 1uSec.

Does this sound feasible?

Murdo.

There are already a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, and the internet is nothing like Shakespeare!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I've made lots of glitch generators, but non on purpose

In the olden days, to see how equipment stood up in a noisy industrial environment, we used an old half-dead reversible drill. Plug it in to the same circuit but ahead of the line protection equipment, run it full speed, then throw the reverse switch. Arcs and sparks like crazy, and that was before you changed direction. We considered that tool hazardous for drilling holes.

These were the days when a "ferroresonate stabilizer" was line protection. Like a 2 hundred pound transformer.

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut. 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
These were the days when a "ferroresonate stabilizer" was line protection. Like a 2 hundred pound transformer.

It also served as a heater...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Torby wrote:
I've made lots of glitch generators, but non on purpose

Haven't we all...

Quote:
In the olden days, to see how equipment stood up in a noisy industrial environment, we used an old half-dead reversible drill. Plug it in to the same circuit but ahead of the line protection equipment, run it full speed, then throw the reverse switch. Arcs and sparks like crazy, and that was before you changed direction. We considered that tool hazardous for drilling holes.

Not much use here - this is a 12v/5v DC system with units attached by umbilical which is reseting so I need to test how it stands up to glitches, spikes etc

Quote:
These were the days when a "ferroresonate stabilizer" was line protection. Like a 2 hundred pound transformer.

Ughh!

There are already a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, and the internet is nothing like Shakespeare!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

glitches you can indeed do by using a FET, but be careful to select a power fet that is also fast switching.
The spikes need a bit more precaution to make sure that when the DUT fails not also your generator will fail.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

meslomp wrote:
glitches you can indeed do by using a FET, but be careful to select a power fet that is also fast switching.
The spikes need a bit more precaution to make sure that when the DUT fails not also your generator will fail.

Hi meslomp,

I've got a power P-FET driven from an N-FET. The P-Fet timing is - from Vgs starting to go low (ie 10% drop) to Vds reaching 90% is 68nSec max and 60nSec max going the other way (ie from Vgs reaching 10% to Vds falling by 90%). Does this look fast enough? I was more concerned with power rating and I'm definitely not an analogue expert.

Thanks,
Murdo.

There are already a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, and the internet is nothing like Shakespeare!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

You might need to test for spikes as well as dropouts.

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut. 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

How come Glitch is not commenting?....

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

His zipper's open. He'll be along shortly

Attachment(s): 

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut.