This is continuation of https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... and subsequent.
I downloaded (98MByte) the new "Toolchain" Windows installer from http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATMEL... (as I wrote in the thread above, there is pleasant news - the registration form now came pre-filled - apparently it depends on having an Atmel login (and probably also having used that on given computer - I believe this all comes from some cookie magic) but I have such since long anyway), and installed.
I now also understand the "3.3.1"/"3.3.2" discrepancy: the *installer* is version 22.214.171.1240, whereas the installed toolchain is
Those who have AS6: Is this the same version?
- it overwrote my previous 3.3.0 version without asking - this is rude
- it installed only the 8-bit version without asking - what if I decided I want the 32-bit too?
- it overwrote PATH without asking, putting itself to the front (we've discussed this already, haven't we?)
- cca 250MB in the target directory, contains the same set of garbage as previously - man, info, libiberty...
- in light of Eric's recent question "what utility is missing", I'd point out that there are many which could be perhaps omitted, like "who" and half a dozen of "awk-s" etc.
- even if IANAL, I still believe that Atmel cannot use the kind of restriction on "licence" on work derived from GPL