Best book/online resource to learn avr asm?

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Best book/online resource to learn avr asm?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Our very own Chuck Baird's Programming Microcontrollers using Assembly:

http://www.lulu.com/content/420385

Smiley

Last Edited: Fri. Jul 20, 2012 - 02:20 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Think about learning ASM and forget about the AVR bit for now, once you get the concept then you can program any chip in ASM.

However some clever person has written a book for you, and even though his website address changes more often than a Melbourne day (need to be an Aussie to understand :lol: ) you can find it here http://www.cbaird.org/

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Last Edited: Fri. Jul 20, 2012 - 05:27 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I tried looking into learning ASM, before learning asm avr... But there are sooo many options and not sure where to start, and people say they are all different (ie 8080, Z80, MISP, AVR, PIC, x86, 68K, ARM)

So after doing alot of research on which one to study.. since nothing made sense i guess my best bet was to go straight to avr asm

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
people say they are all different (ie 8080, Z80, MISP, AVR, PIC, x86, 68K, ARM)
Of course they are just the same as if you were to write code in any other language with different compilers and IDEs.

I think I have written code for all of the above in ASM (yes, including X86 a loooong time ago maybe not ARM yet :? ) but the basic idea still remains the same.

As you will be working with AVRs then it is a good idea to concentrate on the AVR opcodes and environment.

Thanks to my darned internet dropping out continously for several weeks now Smiley will be getting the "spotter's fee" from Chuck, 50% of the sale price I believe. :lol:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

js wrote:
Quote:

Thanks to my darned internet dropping out continously for several weeks now Smiley will be getting the "spotter's fee" from Chuck, 50% of the sale price I believe. :lol:


50% off his book?
also you said:
Quote:
Think about learning ASM and forget about the AVR bit for now

and then
Quote:
As you will be working with AVRs then it is a good idea to concentrate on the AVR opcodes and environment.

im confused

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
50% off his book?
No too many ff in of. :wink: (it's a joke I hope you understand)

Well if can't find a general book on ASM, and you probably won't, then it's ok to concentarte on the AVR asm for which you can get a book.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

SuperMiguel wrote:
50% off his book?

No, Smiley will get 50% of the sale price of the book when you buy the book. :wink: You are confused. :D

EDIT: Crosspost with nobility.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Fri. Jul 20, 2012 - 03:37 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

http://www.avrbeginners.net/
...second item on menu on left for ASM, the rest is good as well

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I've had lots of luck with a book called "Some Assembly Required" by Timothy S. Margush and published by CRC Press. It just came out this year and is the best book that I could find on the subject.

AVR Studio 4.19 build 730
Windows 7 x64
AVR Dragon HV 0x107 FV 0x610610

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I have found this PDF/book very instructional: http://www.avr-asm-download.de/beginner_en.pdf

"Maybe happiness is just fragments of existence with better packaging."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

hanemagne wrote:
I have found this PDF/book very instructional: http://www.avr-asm-download.de/beginner_en.pdf

That looks interesting

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

DaveHardy wrote:
I've had lots of luck with a book called "Some Assembly Required" by Timothy S. Margush and published by CRC Press. It just came out this year and is the best book that I could find on the subject.

expensive book ah (http://www.amazon.com/Some-Assem...)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

SuperMiguel wrote:
DaveHardy wrote:
I've had lots of luck with a book called "Some Assembly Required" by Timothy S. Margush and published by CRC Press. It just came out this year and is the best book that I could find on the subject.

expensive book ah (http://www.amazon.com/Some-Assem...)

AVR Studio 4.19 build 730
Windows 7 x64
AVR Dragon HV 0x107 FV 0x610610

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

DaveHardy wrote:
SuperMiguel wrote:
DaveHardy wrote:
I've had lots of luck with a book called "Some Assembly Required" by Timothy S. Margush and published by CRC Press. It just came out this year and is the best book that I could find on the subject.

expensive book ah (http://www.amazon.com/Some-Assem...)

For security reasons, Dave's response was printed on the back of SuperMiguel's post. :lol:

Ross McKenzie, Melbourne Australia