Atmel Studio 6 BETA Released!

Hi Freaks,

Today Atmel releases the next in the lineup of our IDE platforms; Atmel Studio 6! No, I'm not kidding.

Atmel Studio 6 is the next progression in the AVRStudio 5.1 lineup, and is so named due to a new key feature; ARM device support. The AVR and ARM development teams have been collaborating to make a single development IDE which will support (at present) the AVR8, XMEGA, UC3, SAM3 and SAM4 series devices. Existing SAM-ICE debuggers and SAM evaluation kits are supported natively, and behave just as the existing AVR tools do.

Also new in this beta release is a ARM-GCC toolchain, for native C/C++ development of ARM devices. The existing AVR Software Framework has been renamed Atmel Software Framework, and now includes preliminary SAM device support.

A new "ASF Explorer" view in AS6 gives quick access to the API header, module documentation and dependencies of ASF modules included in an ASF application.

Read More Here: http://www.atmel.com/microsite/a...

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Good news :-)

(but please don't let this turn into Firefox - I don't want to be downloading V7 next Thursday!)

Oh well. Fingers crossed that Studio 7 works on linux.

Serious question: is there a way to run this on an ubuntu box?

Nigel Batten
www.batsocks.co.uk

I've been running the 5.x versions in a VirtualBox virtual machine running Windows XP SP3(*) and it seems to work nicely - I doubt V6 will be any different.

(*) you will still have to pay to licence a copy of XP SP3 (or whatever flavour of Windows you choose).

Yes, essentially AS6 is just AS5.1 with a name change, and a bunch of ARM stuff added. That means that it should be as stable as 5.1 is for AVR devices, and the beta stuff is mainly the new ARM parts. You should be able to switch to AS6-Beta with no trouble if you use 5.1 now and are using AVR features only.

- Dean :twisted:

Good to see Atmel working hard to break the 1 GB download barrier.

But why, if

?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

But why, if

?

ASF Explorer, if you use ASF, plus bug-fixes.

plus bug-fixes

Listed in any release notes?

There have been a lot of work on the qtouch part as well.

Downloaded AS6 and now i have as4.19 which is what i use at the moment, and AS5.1 and AS6.0. So i guess it would be best to delete AS5.1. Would that be a correct statment ?

Not required, but recommended - uninstall AS5.x first to ensure that everything on your system is properly upgraded. I'm using 5.0, 5.1 and 6.0 for support reasons, with no issues so far on the latest build.

- Dean :twisted:

Thanks Dean. Will do. so does this mean we will have an AS6 forum now :)

Does the help/update work yet ?

rev wrote:
Thanks Dean. Will do. so does this mean we will have an AS6 forum now :)

Not sure on that one; ARM questions are better handled by our sister website, www.at91.com.

EW wrote:
rev wrote:
Thanks Dean. Will do. so does this mean we will have an AS6 forum now :)

What about AVR questions re AVR Studio 6?

I.e. should this forum be renamed AVR Studio 5 and 6 forum?

Quote:

should this forum be renamed AVR Studio 5 and 6 forum?

I sort of assumed the comment above was going to trigger that anyway ;-)

Just as we've seen a few UC3 question in this forum I wonder if we'll now start to see ARM ones too?

Does the program direct user's support questions to the "right place" I wonder? (it'd want to be fairly prominent, early on in the Help),

Hmm. I just got brave and tried 5.1.

Might as well upgrade again, eh?

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut.

Depends on if you care about the implications of "beta" or not.

I sort-of tried to get more detail above about what 6.0 beta brings to the AVR world. To me "plus bug-fixes" minus "beta" does not compute unless I can get details on "bug fixes". I tried my usual fishing-hook term ("release notes") but no fish from Trondheim bites.

I'm staying off for the time being, and unless someone reveals what "bug-fixes" are done I would think most others would also.

While I have seen some arguments that might be reasonable re why no known-bugs-list can be published, it should be doable to produce a list-of-bugs-fixed. For the latter there can be no secrets, and it should be accessible w/o having to do the full download.

A 0.5 GB download marked "beta" where I do not know what I get (, and when I downloaded 5.1 (stable) just the other day and am still trying out that one). No thanks.

Last Edited: Tue. Feb 28, 2012 - 03:23 PM

Quote:

Depends on if you care about the implications of "beta" or not.

At this stage surely any version increment is going to be better than the last one whether it has the notional word "beta" on it or not?

Quote:

No, I don't see it that way. For AVR users it has bee stated that Atmel Studio 6 is the same as AVR Studio 5.1 plus some ASF stuff and "plus bug-fixes", but is has a beta tag whose effets might well spill over to the AVR part even if the things that actually are beta are ARM things. What if a fix for some ARM usability in the IDE has effects on the AVR side of it?

Let's say someone offers you a new Porsche in exachange for the green one you have. You ask what you wil get. Porsche answers "Oh, most changes to this years model is for the line that hauls trailers, and then we made some facelifting to the 911 - and by the way the trailer-haulers is still on the test-track.". You realize that the trailer-haulers and 911 share parts of the chassis and tranny. Do you just go "yes, thank you - I'll take that free upgrade"?

It is a really big download. Got it.

Nice that one environment supports the 32 bit ones now. Maybe that's not new.

Hmm. My 414 byte program grew to 416 when I moved it to Studio 5 and C++, and to 418 when I moved it to Studio 6. Interesting.

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut.

Torby wrote:

Do you plan to check on the difference? Would be interesting to know.

Ok now so there is now NO doubt that I will NEVER donwload a new IDE, will stick for as long as I can with AS4 and then "Que sera,sera".

Unless of course there are checkboxes to EXCLUDE download and install of:

* ASF
* ARM
* 32bit
* Qtouch
* NOT related to AVR8 or Xmega.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Perhaps he doesn't trust Norwegians?

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut.

There's a group of fans for MS Visual Studio with Microsoft .net Micro (MF). The netDuino boards as you know use an Atmel ARM7 (not Cortex yet?).

This is applicable if you want C# and .net. It's a big gulp of library code to say the least, and the p-code interpreter for JIT compilation, as I understand.

They now have a Visual Basic .net version - and I think it compiles to machine code, not P code.

Ok, I renamed the forum, per suggestions above.

Imported aa AS4 xmega project using a jtag mk2 for debugging in AS6 and all worked perfectly. Previously when i did this in AS5 all i got was grief so i gave up. So looks like atmel are making progress.

@rev Yeah I guess everyone was excited about the import dialogue tried it in 5 Beta had issues and never used it again. Actually I didn't use it with Studio 6 yet but since you mentioned that it works I might give it a try.

Can someone please save me from downloading and check if AS6 has a feature to change editor background to some dark color (like dark blue) and editor font color to some light color (like white or yellow). I'll stick to AS4 if that issue is not solved yet.

I guess this release finally explains the (before-mysterious) reasons for which Atmel changed the solution file extension from .avrsln to .atsln in AVR Studio 5.1.
I could never see the logic behind it, but it doesn't matter anymore :). And I didn't have to think about it for too long since AVR Studio 5.1 (stable release) has been out there for only a couple of weeks :P
If they keep the pace, we might as well get AT Studio 8 by the end of 2012... for Windows, Linux, iOS and PS Vita ;)

Engineering design triangle:
Fast, cheap, good. Choose 2 of the above

avra wrote:
...if AS6 has a feature to change editor background to some dark color

It's there. I believe it has been from 5.0 actually

-Ole

Attachment(s):

OKB wrote:
avra wrote:
...if AS6 has a feature to change editor background to some dark color
It's there. I believe it has been from 5.0 actually
Thanks a lot! I am quite sure it didn't exist in 5.1b when I last checked. I have mentioned it here: https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...
Btw, it works in AS3 and AS4 for as long as I remember.

I gotta agree with JohanEkdahl, unless I see a list of specific bug fixes, I'm going to put off updating until it's at least confirmed that the release is stable. I just spent a few hours upgrading three machines (and registering with atmel three times) from 5.0 to 5.1, and I'm not excited about doing it again with an even bigger file.

But this is great news for people who want to try out ARM. If this had happened six months ago, I might have gone with an ARM for my current project rather than a UC3.

mtwieg wrote:
(and registering with atmel three times)

The current solution is to replace "/System/BaseForm/" in the url with "forms/software-download" or just use Dean's script: http://pastebin.com/8RGCFU5s

I've requested a copy of the release notes from the tools team - when I receive them I'll post them here until they can be uploaded to the website.

- Dean :twisted:

Shouldn't you have a "release procedure" which includes things like posting release notes and also your GCC patches (if that changed in the build). Usually all this kind of stuff can be automated so you click a button and everything required is gathered together. Doing this kind of thing in an ad-hoc/manual way is always prone to something being over-looked.

avra wrote:
OKB wrote:
avra wrote:
...if AS6 has a feature to change editor background to some dark color
It's there. I believe it has been from 5.0 actually
Btw, it works in AS3 and AS4 for as long as I remember.

You can download general Visual Studio 2010 themes (for instance from http://studiostyl.es/) and then import them using Tools->Import and Export Settings

I have a copy of the release notes now, just need to get approval from someone more important than I to cover myself before I can upload them.

- Dean :twisted:

And run automated tests against the compiler, the standard library, the "framework", and checks if the package is complete, and checks if website links work, products are correctly labeled, everything is available for download ...

But this is Windows. My experience is Windows programmers hate to automate things. Clicking themselves silly again and again and again gives them a sense of accomplishment. Especially if clicking Wizards.

Will it be soon possible to set breakpoints at data locations during a debug session, as in Studio 4?

And run automated tests against the compiler,
That would be 3 compilers right? One for 8 bit chips, one for 32 bit chips and one for ARM.

Or is one compiler doing all of them?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Just being a dumb "hey there is a crack in that plaster wall" sort of guy, I have to ask if anyone else notices the stupidity in this image?

Either that "6" is full of hot air, or that is a lead balloon

Attachment(s):

Ross McKenzie, Melbourne Australia

Unless of course there are checkboxes to EXCLUDE download and install of:

* ASF
* ARM
* 32bit
* Qtouch
* NOT related to AVR8 or Xmega.

agree on that..another 500MB of bloatware to fix bugs if only to get support for AVR8 or Xmega!
I was under the impression that this "world class" (Atmel marketing )software bs was modular?
bug fixes are nice but this is bs...Atmel needs to hire a professional developer, someone that knows how to write an Intelligent Update utility instead of this 500mb bloatware download..the internet must be gagging on it!

At the very least Atmel should look at for example Rowley Crossworks and how easy and Intelligent it is to update..now that is professional software by a REAL professional software dev team!
better yet Atmel could just hire an External Professional software team to develop this software !

Yikes. No more Free IDEs for you.

Imagecraft compiler user

asf-test wrote:

As of 6/2011, there were 90,412 employees at Microsoft, many are developers, testers, QA, and they all want to keep their jobs!

[edited to attribute the quote to the person who actually said it - not me guv!]

Last Edited: Thu. Mar 1, 2012 - 04:21 AM

Can't be too many in QA ... from my direct experience.

Ross McKenzie, Melbourne Australia

Quote:
the internet must be gagging on it!
Just like oil there is only so much internet around, once we run out we are in troubles. :?

I'm doing my bit in preserving the internet reserves but not dowloading any of V5 or V6.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

js wrote:
And run automated tests against the compiler,

Or is one compiler doing all of them?

Well, technically, there are 3 compilers, but they're all GCC. So there is a certain amount of common files, like a common "driver" executable. But, yeah, you have to have 1 compiler per host-target combination. So that makes 3 compilers.

Quote:
things like posting release notes

The release notes were accidentally omitted by the website team, but they are uploaded now. Direct link:

Quote:

And do you think that continuous insulting could bring them to hear more to AVRfreaks forum members?

Thanks Dean,

can you also give some release info about the new ASF version 3.01 that is included in AS6?

Are there infos about structure changes? With 5.1 the ending for project files was ".avrgccproj" now it is ".cproj". Some docs about what project files for which Studio version are important, and what files are rebuilt from the Studio would be helpful.

Quote:

Indeed - if it's not constructive, it's not helping and will only serve to make the tools developers stop listening. I think there are a lot of issues too, but please try to give serious suggestions for improvement.

Quote:

Again, I'm not sure what's up with our web site development team, but the standalone and release notes will be uploaded soon.

Quote:

Yes that would be helpful, but it's not something I know of - but I can find out for you. The extensions were made more generic so that we aren't tied to a specific architecture or compiler, but I'm not sure what versions produce what types of files.

Last Edited: Thu. Mar 1, 2012 - 10:01 AM

@bluegoo & @JS:
We do hear you. A modular deployment mechanism is definitely on the list. That list however is prioritized by the guys who steer the ship. Striking the balance between adding new features (like modular deployment, ASF and ARM) and catching up on old ones (like data breakpoints, trace and OSCCAL ) is hard. In light of the stock market, it can seem like they know what they are doing.
We do employ outsourcing, (I choose to see a recent comment as a suggestion to do this ;) ) but outsourcing this particular part is difficult. It's to tied in with development process. Rest assure however, that we're working on it (albeit slowly) ,and not least: that we want to fix it.

BR
-Ole

Quote:
A modular deployment mechanism is definitely on the list.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. :-)

You can let go of the arrow now, the ARM must be sore....

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

abcminiuser wrote:

Still no simulator support for more UC3 devices, bah :x

Hey Atmel could you please complete support for one family of devices before trying to add support for a completely new set?

Which ones are missing? The device support is partly a function of the AVR Toolchain support (to compile code), partly the Atmel Studio backend support (to simulate and program), and partly the ASF support (for drivers and examples). What devices are missing, and where?

Quote:

Please refer the attachment to see the list of the solution/project file extension for Studio.

Note: It is possible to open any of the solution/project with AVR Studio 5.0 file extension in AVR Studio 5.1/Atmel Studio 6.0 through the menu "File -> Open -> Project/Solution". In that case, Compatible projects for Studio 5.1/6.0 will be created and saved with new supported file extensions.

Attachment(s):

Regards,
Deena

abcminiuser wrote:

- Dean :twisted:

Almost all UC3 devices have no support, just look at the release notes (pages 14 and 15). About 9 out of over 50 devices have simulator support. No devices from the UC3B or UC3C groups have simulator support.

This is really annoying since the debugger support for these devices is not very reliable (as of the latest version of 5.1).

Also, does this mean there will be no more updates for 5.1?

Quote:

Ah, simulator support. That's done by the tools backend team - I'm not sure why the other models aren't in the simulator yet, but it's probably in the backlog. I'll check on Monday on this if you like.

Quote:

Yes I've noticed a few glitches, but frankly simulating a UC3 is probably a bad idea anyway, due to the device complexity. Much easier to just add breakpoints (which seem to work reasonably well).

Quote:

Also, does this mean there will be no more updates for 5.1?

I can't say for certain on this, but I believe so - AS6 is basically AS5.1 with ARM support added, so future development is likely to continue on from there with the unified platform.

Quote:

I'm not sure why the other models aren't in the simulator yet

Do they have USB on board by any chance? There's not much evidence of simulation of any device with USB - I think most people would prefer the devices and accept that there is no USB simulation than no device at all.

Quote:

Do they have USB on board by any chance?

The UC3A and UC3B devices (which are currently supported in the simulator) have USB.

abcminiuser wrote:

I asked an atmel rep about it back in december and they said it was "in the works" or something equally vague. No kind of time table as far as I could tell.

Quote:

Well what I specifically need is to know how long small sections of code take to execute during time-critical applications. Even when I can set up a debugger breakpoint properly (which is difficult because on higher optimization settings, you simply can't set breakpoints in most code), the measurement never seems to be accurate because the operation of the debugger adds on some time to the execution somehow... it's kind of hard to explain.

I miss the days when I used AS 4 with the mega devices and I could just step through code in the simulator and watch a nice stop watch/cycle counter tell me how much time was elapsing. I'd really like something like that for UC3 devices.

Quote:

Okay. At least the current 5.1 seems to be stable, so I'll be able to use it until 6.1 is.

abcminiuser wrote:
Quote:

Do they have USB on board by any chance?

Only for a few UC3A devices, and a couple UC3L ones. None for UC3B. And just curious, what does USB have to do with debugging? I presume it's pretty hard to simulate the USB, but I don't think most people would really require it. Even if it were simulated, you'd have to go to a lot of trouble to use it, by making very complex stimuli...

Thanks,
-Mike

How far along is QEMU-AVR32?

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Atmel Store, Atmel Studio DVD
SKU: ATATMELSTUDIO
Atmel Studio 6 - The Integrated Development Environment
1USD (zero if a part of an order).
Thank you Atmel!

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Quote:

what does USB have to do with debugging

It's a block that would have to be simulated if you were implementing a complete simulation of the models that contain it. I was simply citing this as a possible reason why those simulation models do not exist.

The RTL code for UC3-devices are huge and complex. When we create simulator models for devices, we base them on the RTL code made by the IC developers, and have to do a lot of digging around in the RTL code. In other words creating UC3-models are a massive amount of work compared to the 8-bits. So, it all boils down to a matter of priority. If you take into consideration the amount of work needed for each device and customer demand for UC3 simulator support, it just hasn't reach the top of the pile yet.

At the moment we are actually making some changes to the tools we use for model creation which hopefully will make the job easier, but I can't promise you anything.

The models in AStudio only contains synthesizeable RTL code. The USB consists of a lot of unsynthesizeable RTL code, which means that we have left it out. Since a lot of the 8-bit USB devices only have the USB to differentiate it from other devices it's below the UC3s in the pile.

je_ruud wrote:

I can imagine that creating working models is a huge amount of work. Especially if you have to simulate things like the Hmatrix bus, changing clock sources on the fly.... yeesh. But it's specifically because those models are hardware simulations that they're so useful.

I wouldn't be so insistent if the hardware debugging worked more robustly (I've been dealing with a parade of problems with missed breakpoints, mysterious exceptions, and other unexplainable bugs in the debugger in the last couple weeks). I just need one of them working... otherwise progress is slow and agonizing.

Quote:
exception has been thrown by the target of an invokation

I get this error when I program my UC3C-EK using JTAG and AVR Dragon, it is a popup right after

Erasing... OK
Programming Flash... OK

I didn't use to get this error in versions before AVR studio 6.

[/list][/list][/code]