External make files

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi All

Has anyone used an external make file with Studio 5?

I had a try by setting a path to such a make file (I didn't study the restrictions listed but wanted to see what it did) but it continued building with its internal make file.

Is this what happens when there is something wrong with the external one (not respecting a restriction) or doesn't it try to use it?

Regards

Mark

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

No, there is no fallback logic like you thought of - if the external make file is missing, you should get an error.

Did you try specifying the full path of the make file?

Is this happening for a C project? Can you attach a small project that shows this problem?

Regards

Senthil

 

blog | website

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi

I tried selecting an external make file but without entering any path and name; then I got an error message.
Then I added the path to the make file and it worked.

Therefore I don't know whether there was a mistake during the last attempt or not. I checked the clean, rebuild and build operation and it all seemed to work - in fact this looks to be quite an improvement since Studio 5 doesn't create annoying debug and bin directories at the top of the project any more and the simulator looks to be able to work with the generated ELF where it is located (I still didn't look into the list of restrictions but it does seem to work OK as it is).

There is however one "small" problem:
- when I build with the GCC version which comes with Studio 5 (4.4.3) the compiler crashes when optimisation is enabled (this is known from the later AVR32 Studio version with integrated tool chain and there are three files in the project which the optimiser can't work with - for some reason). So I simply configured the tool chain to use the older one (4.3.2) which allows optimisation and building with the managed build.
- However, when I use the external make file the tool chain being used to build is the one delivered with Studo 5 - 4.4.3 - (it is ognoring the tool chain setting...) and so the compiler is crashing again when optimisation is enabled.

Therefore it looks as though I will need to manipulate the content of the tool chain folder to work around this.

However the fact that the external make file is actually working is the best news this year - I never got it to work with AVR32 studio after three years of despair...

In fact there hasn't yet in fact been any progress with Studio 5 since I have in fact always used VS as editor with a post build step to call the makefile (resulting in the same), but if the Studio 5 debugger works (which it doesn't for me just yet) then it will indeed be a step forward...

Regards

Mark