AVR Studio 5 Released - Get Your BETA Here!

Pages

Quote:

is trying to call home to Microsoft

When I started it Windows firewall popped up and asked me if I wanted to keep blocking Studio or to let it call home. I allowed it but I'd be interested to know why an IDE feels the need to communicate over TCP/IP. Is this simply for "news" updates on the opening page perhaps (I've seen this in other IDEs) or something more suspicious?

Well I thought I would jump in and at least see for myself what it's about. It has taken over 12 hours to download (I pushed a few Z's during that time).
So I clicked on the beautiful icon and was greeted with

Error Code: -5001 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (142)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$
@Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 0 (7600)
IE Version: 8.0.7600.16385

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 507f
Additional Information 2: 507ff6a235784f5d73455424b8ec18db
Additional Information 3: 49e3
Additional Information 4: 49e38fef9721535bd2c49b230690cad2

So there is some feedback from a Beta tester! wtf?
This looks like an Illuminati conspiracy.

Attachment(s):

Charles Darwin, Lord Kelvin & Murphy are always lurking about!
Lee -.-
Riddle me this...How did the serpent move around before the fall?

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 2, 2011 - 08:17 PM

Computer that has a 1.6GHz or faster processor
1 GB RAM for x86
Strikes off my laptop (1 GHz and a lot less ram).

Contributions for a new laptop so I can run AS5 welcome. :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

rkruse wrote:
The backend code is not and will not be open source,

Atmel can't win anything by keeping the code and debugging protocols proprietary. They could win a lot, e.g. enlisting the help of free software developers to port it to every imaginable platform and build it into every imaginable tool, by releasing the code and information.

But that requires a mental capability which is apparently beyond that of Atmel management.

All in all Studio 5 turned out to be exactly the clusterfsck I imagined it to be. Still no way to update tool firmware from anything but Windows. Still no way to read tool documentation from anything but Windows.

Studio 5 is unimaginative, trying to pacify the mediocre masses by going with Microsoft "No one ever got fired for buying Microsoft", targeting a "no one can blame us" wasteland of non-invention, smelling like despair.

Innovation means going to where it hurts. Showing courage, taking risks, questioning the status-quo, radically changing the game. Innovation is not taking 0.5 giga tons of lipstick to airbrush the same old pig. Innovation is targeting the 5% or 10% of users working at the leading edge or in difficult circumstances, those with high demands on their tools, not the dull masses. If you satisfy the 5% or 10% of leading edge users you have produced an extremely valuable tool for the masses, not another pointless, mediocre, me-too IDE.

Atmel didn't have the balls to try.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

AS5: ordo ab chao, deus meumque jus,
* aufertemalum ex vobis ipsis *

incal99

________________________________ We dream of a world where current does not need the voltage to flow.

When will AS5 for android come out?

Quote:
..and then the masses would blame Atmel when something goes wrong with code generated by others.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Quote:

Contributions for a new laptop so I can run AS5 welcome.

"Hand-me-down" computers are often relegated to test/debug duty. Desktops for the lab and shop floor; laptops for the road. At least at my place; how about yours? Why in the world would one need a GHz+ just to interface to a debugging/ISP tool, and do some editing? Geez, you'd think none of us ever ran a compile on a VAX or PC/AT or other at a few MHz (if that). Admittedly, in the Bad Old Days a rebuild time for a big system could be measured in hours, rather than the seconds that we expect now.

Wasn't it AS2 or AS3 that was also supposed to be the be-all/end-all version with a flood of developers creating plug-ins for a seamless interface?

How can CodeVision have a half-decent IDE and a very decent compiler and an ISP tool (>>with<< binary edit capabilities), in a 12MB setup.exe? (Bloat took over there, as well--a couple of years ago it was 4MB.)

Occasionally I go "on the road" and it's nice to bring along the work developed on the desktop machine to the laptop, which by the way, has a REAL serial port so I can use my JTAG Mk1 and AVRISP Mk1 as well as talk RS232/RS485 to other equipment.

Contributions to upgrade those also welcome. :lol: No more serial port stuff with AS5.

The worst thing about going on the road occasionally, apart from the maddening traffic which I have avoided for 20 years now, is having to turn on my mobile which is otherwise safely stored in a drawer.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 2, 2011 - 09:08 PM

The Atmel rep just left here. He demonstrated AS5 on his laptop and it looked good. He also showed me the help page where it sported info on the new jtagmkIII (That's the avr jtag3!) It will be a smaller box than the MKII, a little smaller than the AVR-ONE! Gone is the bastard 30 wire flex cable (that costs $$$$ to replace) and will use a standard 10 pin socket. Price is set to be around $199, and the MKII isn't to be discontinued (yet).

JS Mentioned:

Quote:
Contributions for a new laptop so I can run AS5 welcome.

I thought Atmel was sending all of the Moderators a new laptop with AS5 preconfigured?

Perhaps yours is just stuck in Customs...

JC

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 2, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Quote:

It will be a smaller box than the MKII, a little smaller than the AVR-ONE!

It really does - it's quite neat, although we haven't got any spares around the office for me to play with one.

Everyone: Please try to actually USE the new Studio before commenting. Yes, the download speed currently sucks, yes the *BETA* version is quite large due to a few unfinished bits making it necessarily so, and yes, the front-end is Windows only, even if all the underlying bits don't discount cross-platform. We've now heard that same problems over and over for TWELVE PAGES.

Assuming you don't want to push away the devs from asking for your input in the future, please actually try it out and report back rather than arm-chair whinging. I agree with you all on all the points, but try to evaluate what we have rather than complain about what we don't in the beta. Try it out - I actually quite like it.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

I can't fault Atmel for using a Windows-centric tool set host. If you exclude non-revenue students, hobbyists, no-budget wanna-be companies, the mainstream is, for better or worse, Microsoft based.

As we migrate (back to) private-cloud computing in the next decade, this may change.

Quote:

please actually try it out

Sorry, Dean--I don't have a computer that meets the requirements.

Downloading at 30kB/s.. 3 hours remaining. I wonder if the atmel servers are always this slow?

Something tells me though, that I won't be abandoning WinAVR package anytime soon. But some of the features seems quite interesting at least.

Dean,

I posted an actual issue with S5 back on page 4 and asked how we should report problems. I'd like to use S5, but without a functional Dragon, it's not of much use.

Thought I'd bump this in case it got lost in all the hand-wringing.

Murray

Quote:
Everyone: Please try to actually USE the new Studio before commenting.

I have tried to use it. The more I try to use it, the more sour I become. It does nothing any better than Studio 4. It can't even import and successfully compile an existing Studio 4 project, which is the very least functionality I would expect. I intended to uninstall it yesterday but didn't have time, and already today the Microsoft junkware has downloaded and installed two updates for itself and is chattering continually with its master in Redmond while running resource-consuming hidden tasks behind my back. I can scarcely believe the decision to force .net4 and SQL Server on me to run a simple freakin' text editor, which is not even as good as the one I use every day.

Fail.

abcminiuser wrote:
We've now heard that same problems over and over for TWELVE PAGES.
And "you" ("you" == Atmel) apparently still don't get it.

Quote:
They ignored the input for this version, so what is your point? We should waste more of our time to get ignored even harder?

The Atmel attitude, "we know what is good for them" apparently rubbed off on you.

Quote:
but try to evaluate what we have
Here is a hint for you future business dealings:

Attempting to force-feed your customers something they don't want to swallow only works when you have them over a barrel. Atmel might think they have us over a barrel, but well ... I for one have deliberately not used AVRs in my last projects. My customers weren't surprised. They shared my opinion about Atmel.

rather than complain
This is called feedback. Some companies even pay a lot of money to market research companies to get it. Here they get it for free. Talk about an opportunity. As with any feedback one can take it or leave it. Taking it means to recognize the opportunity. Leaving it, well ...

What doesn't work (a second hint, I should charge for them today ...) is to tell the people giving feedback that they are wrong. It doesn't change the opinion of those giving feedback a iota. It just tells them they aren't taken serious and they are wasting their time giving feedback. Sounds familiar? Because the later is what Atmel likes to do.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

Murray,

Sorry, the thread turned toxic so quickly I haven't been checking it much, and didn't see your post. I've asked Eivind for a Studio 5 forum (and an XMEGA forum - I promised I would!) and he said he'll check and see what he can do. For now, post your feedback here and we'll report bugs to the internal tracker until Atmel puts a public bug reporting system in place.

- Dean :twisted:

and an XMEGA forum

Thank you.

JC

Thanks, Dean.

I just checked it out with a Tiny2313 board of mine and a Dragon. The Dragon firmware was updated, and my little test application started running under the debugger, after I remembered that I needed to power the target board. I've been spoiled by debuggers like the Microchip ICD 3 that can power the target.

Program execution using the debugger was very strange. When I stopped the program, and single-stepped through it (step over and step out), it kept jumping to the UART receive interrupt vector. If I used step out, it was OK. I checked execution with the Studio 4 debugger and it behaved properly with all three step modes.

The "Running" indication is on the extreme left of the screen bottom and isn't very noticeable. I'd prefer it on the right, as with Studio 4, or in the centre. I'd also prefer an icon, making it more visible, as with Studio 4. If it flashed, or rotated, it would be even better.

I didn't need to read any documentation or use the Help.

I'm running Win7 x64.

Leon Heller G1HSM

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 2, 2011 - 11:06 PM

abcminiuser wrote:
Everyone: Please try to actually USE the new Studio before commenting.
Sorry, I do not need to use anything to know I do not want the M$ .NET path. The total cost of ownership for this type of proprietary software is just way too high and totally unnecessary for modern post year 2000 development platforms (ATMEL is stuck in the past on this one). I'm not going backwards into the M$ past. I will stick to the older AVRStudio 4 that still runs on Win 2000 (the last M$ OS I ever expect to need or use) which leaves out AVRStudio 5 and any brand new 8 bit new ATMEL chip development as inaccessible.

Please keep AVR32Studio alive and in good shape or ATMEL will cripple my interest in AVR32 as well.

Quote:

Please try to actually USE the new Studio before commenting.

I tested it with little xmega program (led flasher), did not read any documentation, got it directly working with little help from codevision (port setup). But I cannot say yet good or not, too big anyway

Quote:
ATMEL is stuck in the past on this one
Quote:
Win 2000 (the last M$ OS I ever expect to need or use)
It seems you are stuck in the past as well.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Is AS5 known to uninstall cleanly, taking away all the .net and sql stuff with itself, restoring the disk space?

JW

wek wrote:

No, it doesn't uninstall cleanly. It just removes itself. Getting rid of the .net and sql stuff is an arduous manual job that has to be carried out in a certain order and took me about half an hour, not counting the two restarts it required (though none were needed during the install). I was able to recover most of the disk space, but some tens of megabytes are still missing.

Well, I work with the same "nice package" (stable) under AVR32 Studio (Eclipse based) with AVR8 plug-in (and doxygen and svn and and and ...) since two years.

Okay, okay, I give AVR Studio 5 a try. Maybe I switch.

Günter

Koshchi wrote:
It seems you are stuck in the past as well.
No that is misinterpretation of my circumstances. M$ proprietary software is the past. By not upgrading M$ I keep my last two legacy M$ applications running, I get off their resource consuming upgrade treadmill and stop wasting my resources for the future. When you look at things like support from behind a proprietary wall, the cost of ownership can be as high as no real solution is ever possible. That is an infinite cost of ownership when you are locked into M$. I have seen too much of the M$ solution to offer newer flashy software with new problems, incompatibilities and bug regressions, but its new, look at the shiny new bauble and forget the real underlying problems, listen only to M$.... Bull S**t!

Last Edited: Thu. Mar 3, 2011 - 02:16 AM

I'll briefly chime in as well: I don't have equipment that meets the requirements, so will have to pass on the request to test. Make a release that users on Linux or MacOS can use, and I'll be happy to try it out.

(I'm actually used to this with Linux by now, but I'm speechless at the idea that no effort was made to support MacOS for a development product, especially with so many cross-platform options available. See: LPC Xpresso.)

-Ed
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

Atmel has husbanded its resources and applied them to the areas most likely to improve their bottom line. This wise use has lead to a massive gain in their stock so that now they are valued higher than Microchip - even with lower sales - which shows what the folks who express their opinions with their dollars rather than their keyboards think about Atmel.

I suspect that as part of that careful application of limited resources they decided to create AS5 beta to be used by their biggest customers. I suspect the vast majority of AVRs are sold to folks with screamer PCs running Windows with terabyte drives and broadband access. I would be surprised if 10% of the sales go to folks using Macs or Linux or PCs more than a couple of years old. I'd guess that an even smaller % is bought by folks on AVRFreaks.

I use Visual Studio .NET. I use it because it has some brain-dead simple tools and I understand that writing code for the 1970's when computing resources were limited doesn't make any sense in the 2010's when Terabyte drives are becoming standard. The analysis is my time versus my disk space and since I have more disk space now than I know what to do with, it seems to me that the results of that trade off should be obvious. Should I really care that a program is 300Mb when it would cost me an extra week or two to make it 30Mb? People store videos of their cats that are bigger than 300Mb.

Okay, just looked on Amazon and the first hit has a 2Tb drive for $101 so I can store more than 6000 copies of AS5 on that drive. Should they have invested in the resources to write the program to the Windows API so that we could store 60,000 copies? To me, using .NET makes the most economic sense.

And BTW it is 'beta' and it is 'free'.

Smiley

abcminiuser wrote:
Looks like the training videos I helped make aren't up yet - I think they're still editing out all my swearing while trying to use the Norwegian keyboard layout :P.

- Dean :twisted:

lol yeah I know the frustration. I used my laptop the whole time while I was doing my final year uni project in germany. Couldn't get used to Y and Z being switched.

Maybe you need to bind a Faen button for the non-norwegians :)

Was going to make some comments on the beta in this post but it's taking a while. Might post again later.

smileymicros wrote:
The flaw in this analysis is the value to ATMEL of AVRfreaks is much larger than the number of chip sales to a percentage of AVRfreaks. Some AVRfreaks do order industrial quantities of AVR chips. However the real value of AVRfreaks is the huge support burden a web site like this takes off of ATMEL's shoulders. ATMEL said thank you by ignoring what has been quoted as the number 1 requested feature in the new AVRStudio 5 surveys. They already had AVR32Studio as a multi-platform starting point. The truth is the largest percentage of AVR BIG customers in your analysis do not care if they have access to a multi-platform AVRStudio, a MAC only AVRStudio or a Windows only AVRStudio. They will simply purchase whatever they need. They are BIG money customers after all. According to the survey many of us here do appear to care. ATMEL may have been somewhat penny wise and pound foolish as the old saying goes.

WinXP SP3
2GB RAM
~50GB Disk Space Left

Installed AS5 w/o problems, restart not required.
Takes forever to start AS5(maybe time up my RAM :oops: )
I took it for a spin with the dragon.
Imported my current project using mega169p.
Everything looks fine. I could debug just fine.

I just have to say that I love the new text editor.

BTW there is an integrated browser...bob knows what for...

Do I have to have a custom makefile now? I just tried opening a project and on clicking rebuild...

Invoking: AVR/GNU C Compiler
		"C:/Program Files (x86)/Atmel/AVR Studio 5.0/extensions/Application/Avr ToolChain/bin/avr-gcc.exe" -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -I"R:\old build directory" -I"R:\old header directory" -I"R:\old source directory"  -Os -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -c -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99   -mmcu=atmega324p   -MMD -MP -MF"source/adc.d" -MT"source/adc.d" -o"source/adc.o" "../source/adc.c"
		'new "default" directory'
		CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
		UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
		avr-gcc.exe: ../source/adc.c: No such file or directory
		avr-gcc.exe: no input files
		make: *** [source/adc.o] Error 1
	Done executing task "RunAvrGCC" -- FAILED.
Done building target "CoreRebuild" in project "Monitor.avrgccproj" -- FAILED.
Done building project "Monitor.avrgccproj" -- FAILED.

Directories have been renamed for ease of reading.

Since it copied the studio4 files to a new studio5 folder I'd think that it should only be relating to the new directory. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Also it makes me sad that when I type -> I don't get the list of members drop down. I'm sure this is meant to happen but I'm not sure how to make it work (EDIT: This worked the 2nd time I opened the IDE. I think there must be a case where it doesn't work but I'm unsure what it is). I was pleased that a '.' automatically turned into a '->' though.

And when I type an IF statement, it's smart enough to flesh it out for me. That's great, but after i've finished typing inside the if() brackets I should be able to hit enter and it goes to the correct spot between the { and } indented by a tab. If you're going to that much effort you might as well finish it off.

Mike B wrote:

Even if not, it is just insulting to ask for feedback, then ignoring it, then asking for even more feedback, and since it is still not the desired one, insisting that we finally give the right feedback - or we won't be asked any more in the future. Thanks for giving us the alternatives to be asked and ignored, or to not be asked at all.

Smiley also doesn't have a point arguing "it is a beta, so shut up". One puts out betas to gather feedback. What is the point in Atmel putting out a beta, but heaven forbids we give feedback?

Same for the "but it is free". This is an Atmel business decision, not an Atmel act of charity. We can guess the reason for that decision is they want to sell more chips.

And what Smiley also doesn't understand, sure Atmel is free to do whatever business decision they want, but so are we. We aren't the lackeys of Atmel. We need to do our own business decisions and in the end we, not Atmel, have to live with the consequences.

---

By the way, another consequence of Studio 5 is that the stand-alone download of ASF vanished. http://asf.atmel.no/ now redirects to a page telling people that they have to get Studio 5.

Is that good or bad?

Well, I am not a fan of ASF. 1667 directories to hold 1660 source code files ... (Do you see a bloatware pattern here? I do. Do you see a "we don't listen" pattern here? I do.). So it is good that it vanished from public eye.

But it is bad that it is now hidden in Studio. Should one ever run across code which uses ASF one is immediately locked-in to Studio. Atmel has learned absolutely nothing here from past feedback.

You know, the feedback that it isn't great to lock current, up to date tool documentation away in Studio only. The feedback that it isn't great to lock tool firmware updates away in studio. To lock debugging away in Studio.

These lock-in attempts are downright hostile towards some developers. Doing it again, now with ASF, shows a massive disregard for us. It is pure arrogance, power games. "We are the big Atmel, we show them who's boss.". Congratulations Atmel, you managed to communicate that message loud and clear.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

523 MB take some hours.

Is there a CD or DVD?

Jeckson

Takes forever to start AS5
VS usually takes a long time to start up the first time, but not so bad after that (though certainly no speed demon). I had to restart to install, but that was for the newer .NET, not AS5 itself. I also installed a new version of VirtualBox (on my Mac) and extensions which also required a restart. The restarts were of Windows and VirtualBox though, my Mac was oblivious to the install ;)

I got it to compile and download one of the sample apps for XPlain (with Dean's AVRISP MkII emulator on it), but not without a little coaxing. I had to search where to find the .hex file, only to find out that one was not created. The default settings only generate a .elf file, even in Release. I'm not sure why anyone would think that that would be a good default. The speed is just fine even with running it within VirtualBox (though I expected that since I already use VS that way). Of course, now I have not 2 but 3 versions of VS installed: AS5, a full version of VS, and an install of VS express (though only 2 are in VirtualBox, the full version is on a BootCamp partition).

Though I will use AS5 over AS4 (mostly because the VS editor is far better than the bare bones one in AS4), I certainly would have preferred something that would run natively on my Mac. If everything except the VS part will indeed be cross platform, maybe some clever someone will get it to work with XCode.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Last Edited: Thu. Mar 3, 2011 - 07:41 AM

LDEVRIES wrote:
So I clicked on the beautiful icon and was greeted with
Error Code: -5001 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (142)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$
@Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 0 (7600)
IE Version: 8.0.7600.16385

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 507f
Additional Information 2: 507ff6a235784f5d73455424b8ec18db
Additional Information 3: 49e3
Additional Information 4: 49e38fef9721535bd2c49b230690cad2

So there is some feedback from a Beta tester! wtf?
This looks like an Illuminati conspiracy.

What operating system are you using , is it windows 7 or Windows server 2008 R2. If Windows 7 please suggest the flavour (home/professional/enterprise)?

Cameron707 wrote:

Invoking: AVR/GNU C Compiler
		'new "default" directory'
		CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
		UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
		avr-gcc.exe: ../source/adc.c: No such file or directory
		avr-gcc.exe: no input files
		make: *** [source/adc.o] Error 1
	Done executing task "RunAvrGCC" -- FAILED.
Done building target "CoreRebuild" in project "Monitor.avrgccproj" -- FAILED.
Done building project "Monitor.avrgccproj" -- FAILED.

Directories have been renamed for ease of reading.

See this Post.

wek wrote:
pab wrote:
wek wrote:
Will there be a standalone "AVR-Tools" (WinAVR) release?

JW

Yes, there will be!

PerA.

Thanks.

Any plans what will be included?

Jan

[EDIT, after reading posts above] ... and any plans what the system requirements will be?

You might have a look at the standalone installer for AVR Studio 4 located at:

to get a clue of what is included. When installing you can choose to install AVR 8-bits or 32-bits, or both.

Quote:

As I said in the thread in GCC forum - Atmel are almost certainly in violation of GPL by not doing this. When the first "AVR Toolchain" didn't include the ./source directory holding *.patch as found in previous issues of WinAVR it looked like a simple build error/teething trouble. But the fact that this next incarnation of "toolchain" also fails to publish the patch set begins to look like a cavalier attitude to GPL.

Have a look at

Error Code: -5001 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (142)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$
@Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 0 (7600)
IE Version: 8.0.7600.16385

Try to google on this. It is an error that has occured for various product installations. We have seen it before on AVRStudio4. I am afraid the best solution (and only?) is to download again

Lars K

Atmel's gotta be kidding.
I started the download, but aborted after reading this post, seeing it was not Eclipse based.
And the ARM core based product line is terribly outdated.
Where are they heading?

Seems the only reason to still visit here is to rant on the forums.

/Jesper
The quick black AVR jumped over the lazy PIC.
What boots up, must come down.

soundararajan wrote

Windows 7 Home edition
Lars K wrote
Quote:

I will Google the error code. I will try & install on another system too. Rather than reload again, I will try & get a copy from the Melbourne crew when we meet after Deans return next weekish. Able to bring a working a working copy back on a CD Dean?(no cans of rotten fish though!)

Update
Microsoft Knowledge base comes up with

Quote:
You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server Update Services

I tried the fixes suggested, to no avail. I will sit on the fence rather than get involved with the Beta testing!

Charles Darwin, Lord Kelvin & Murphy are always lurking about!
Lee -.-
Riddle me this...How did the serpent move around before the fall?

Last Edited: Thu. Mar 3, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Atmel support says AVRStudio 4 does not support definition of Stack in external memory for XMEGA. Is this error modified in AVRStudio 5?

Ozhan KD
Knowledge is POWER

pab wrote:
wek wrote:
pab wrote:
wek wrote:
Will there be a standalone "AVR-Tools" (WinAVR) release?

JW

Yes, there will be!

PerA.

Thanks.

Any plans what will be included?

Jan

You might have a look at the standalone installer for AVR Studio 4 located at:

Well, thanks.

I was under the naive impression that this is the new stuff; however, after a 90MB download and a lengthy installation I found out that this is the same what we've seen on the betaware site in September, except this time it's hidden behind the registration nag.

This has been discussed e.g. in https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p... with little pat on the shoulder either (e.g. I had to restore the path again).

JW

pab wrote:
Have a look at

Thanks for that. I tried to check that there was a copy of the GPL in the help system of the product and a link to that website only to find that from clicking "View Help" on the Help menu it actually takes several minutes before a separate browser finally opens the help pages. What was wrong with the .chm's used in AS4? At last their loading was fairly instantaneous. True .chm is a "tied to windows" format but that apparently is not a concern anyway.

Now it's finally loaded a search for "GPL" in the manual returns "We did not find any results for your query" - can I suggest you at least add links to (a) the text of the GPL and (b) to that site where you publish the source modifications?

As for overall loading speed. I've already run both AS4 and AS5 on this PC so I know Vista will have some/all cached. I now click each icon in turn and wait for it to load to the opening screen (the full IDE, not the splash screen). The times are:

AS4: 9.56 seconds
AS5: 88.01 seconds

Is there anyone here that gets AS5 loading even under 1 minute? AS4 was a tool you could dip into and out of. Looks like AS5 is a tool you have to leave permanently loaded if you want fairly instant access (though task manager says that in its quiescent state it's holding 54MB of RAM - and for comparison AS4 only held 10MB in similar circumstances)

I just imported a project created with AS4 and then it would not compile. Turns out AS5 forgot to copy any of the files starting with A! Also the intellisense does not allow you to use the .OUT of a port structure, ie PORTA.OUT. Might be a few updates in store.

OK the killer question for me.. how long will Atmel support S4 for, as in providing the required support for new devices?

It looks like it might be a couple of years before I trade up the laptop I do all my AVR stuff on, and I'd hate to be trapped in a world of 'not suitable for new design' chips.

I'd also point out that, like Microchip and the PIC, the huge hobby following for Atmel and 8-bit AVR has several big plusses for the company:

+ An informal support network
+ Lots of intelligent and able young engineers coming into the industry with real world experience of their tools and devices
+ Lots of ways to demonstrate the capability, flexibility and applicability of their products
+ rapid and honest feedback
+ Huge exposure of atmel-based projects on the web

I bet it costs Atmel less than $50,000 to support a thriving amateur user community. And I bet it brings them vastly more than that in benefits.

Cheers,