KAVRCalc Discussion Thread

Go To Last Post
76 posts / 0 new

Pages

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

kmr wrote:
Yes, to store user data, one would need a default home location to the application.

Not really. Just use the location of the application.exe itself. That is what I do with most of my applications because you cannot guarantee that the user will follow your location recommendations.

Cheers,

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks for the input, Ross. Yes, I've used that approach as well. The main disadvantage (or possible advantage for sophisticated users) is the possibility of having multiple copies of the application thus multiple data files with the user getting confused why the application seems to have different data each time. But, having a typical location for user data is supported by all common operating systems.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Kevin,

With respect, you are trying too hard. Users need, at some stage, to act as adults and be responsible for THEIR actions. If they install multiple copies ... so be it. But as a small concession to those not quite up to par, I guess you could add the folder location to the title bar of the currently running instance. Hopefully they can read! :lol:

Nice work btw.

Cheers,

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks, Ross. In my many years of supporting users, it's been my experience they (at least the ones who ask for help) try as little as possible to be responsible for their actions. ("Hey, this program should tie my shoes as well" :)) Nonetheless, your point is very well taken, thanks.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

kmr wrote:
mikeperks wrote:
The acceptable common clocks does not have a frequency of 1 MHz whereas the Clock does.
The list of clock frequencies is the same for two fields. I see 1 MHz when I increase the maximum baud error (increase to 99% to see all clocks).

Yes that was it. With the large errors that 1 MHz has over 4800 baud, perhaps Atmel should be shipping AVRs with an internal clock of 0.9216 MHz or some other magic frequency.

I downloaded the 1.8 version. I would fix up the numbering in your BSD-style license. Is the source code going to be available?

The text output fields on my Windows XP now appear as blue text on a light blue background with a line around them. Which platform is your screenshot from because mime looks totally different?

--Mike

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

mikeperks wrote:
I downloaded the 1.8 version. I would fix up the numbering in your BSD-style license. Is the source code going to be available?
Thanks for the numbering tip. I'm not planning on publishing the source code, I doubt there is a single member on AVRFreaks who has spent the $1500 for the development platform for which the source code is targetted.
Quote:
The text output fields on my Windows XP now appear as blue text on a light blue background with a line around them. Which platform is your screenshot from because mime looks totally different?
I don't change the background from default, so I think the background will depend upon your theme. I'm using Vista Ultimate with graphite coloring (since I do a lot of digital photography so I want as few extraneous colors as necessary).

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

kmr wrote:
mikeperks wrote:
The text output fields on my Windows XP now appear as blue text on a light blue background with a line around them. Which platform is your screenshot from because mime looks totally different?
I don't change the background from default, so I think the background will depend upon your theme. I'm using Vista Ultimate with graphite coloring (since I do a lot of digital photography so I want as few extraneous colors as necessary).

I changed my scheme and yes the background color changed. However I cannot be the only one here who is using Windows XP with the standard scheme. The problem is probably the worst for people who are color blind. I'm guessing the red on blue looks like all the same shade of gray and therefore very hard to read. You might want to temporarily change your scheme back to the default to see how it looks on Vista as well.

On suggestion is to set the background color for each control to white. And black text is probably better than blue if you can make it consistent everywhere. I suggested previously that a different type of control such as static text might be better than what I think you are using which is a read-only entry field.

--Mike

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Kevin,

Problem seems to have gone away with version 1.8

And thanks Robin for the link to md5summer

Cheers,
DaveF

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

mikeperks wrote:
I changed my scheme and yes the background color changed.
Sound like to accomodate users with various themes that I should either not change the foreground, or if I do change the foreground, to also change the background.
Quote:
I suggested previously that a different type of control such as static text might be better than what I think you are using which is a read-only entry field.
The fields that are read-only are a static text in the cross-platform GUI framework that I'm using. However, these static fields are rendered similiarly to text input fields and I'm looking for some reasonable, cross-platform, cross-theme differentiation for read-only and input fields. So far, I don't think I've been successful because each variation I implemented has cause trouble for somebody despite being perfectly readable for me.

But, I'll keep working on the issue.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

davef wrote:
Problem seems to have gone away with version 1.8
Thanks for the report, Dave!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Tested 1.8 normal an debug version on Windows 2000 Sp4. Both version don't work, because MSVCR80.DLL is missing. MSVCR80.DLL is the C runtime library version 8.0 redistributable.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Tried 1.9 both normal and debug version on Windows 2000 SP4. Both versions don't work, because of the famous "missing msvcr80.dll" error message.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks for the reports, StefB. Here's a link to download an installer for MSVCR80.DLL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloa...

Looks like I'll need to create an installer package that will install the DLL, or just put the above link in a README file.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks. That helped.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

kmr wrote:
I'm not planning on publishing the source code,

Ah now I was going to suggest that you publish (and if so use FreeBSD not GPL) but later I read it was Lisp. My original idea being that the "team" could collaboratively add the "things they want" themselves - but I doubt that would happen anyway in Lisp! ;)

Cliff

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Actually, Cliff, several components that I use in KAVRCalc have been published as open-source packages. A list of my open-source repositories is at http://gitpub.b9.com/cgi-bin/git...

Currently, I'm using cluck (a microcontroller clock library) and kmrcl (set of lisp utilities) in kavrcalc. But, I've never received any feedback, suggestions, or patches for cluck. I just don't think many freaks here use Lisp. And, kavrcalc is more specialized requiring a commercial development system for its GUI component.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

On this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis...

I particularly enjoyed the comment from Larry Wall (Mr. Perl)

Cliff

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks Kevin,
Excellent utility. I was fiddling with its features. Stumbled upon some thing which you might want to know.

Ever tried making some changes, saving the data to a text file and re-loading it ?

I get a message box which spans about 17 inches (goes out of my 15" screen) and says "Invalid file format" followed by the entire content of the file in one line.

I am running it on Win XP Media Center Edition.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

puzzledbee wrote:
Ever tried making some changes, saving the data to a text file and re-loading it ?
Yes, but not in the latest versions.
Quote:
I get a message box which spans about 17 inches (goes out of my 15" screen) and says "Invalid file format" followed by the entire content of the file in one line.
The content of the file being displayed is from old debugging work. I'll fix that in the next release as well as figure out what broken since the last time I tested saving then loading the calculator state. Thanks for the report!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
I particularly enjoyed the comment from Larry Wall (Mr. Perl)
Larry's always been of strong wit. I like his more recent quote on Lisp on this page: http://www.perl.com/lpt/a/997

Paul Graham's 1983 quote on the Wikipedia link you provided interestingly compares with later use of Lisp as his "secret weapon" in his commercial success: http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

puzzledbee wrote:
Ever tried making some changes, saving the data to a text file and re-loading it ?
I found at least some older versions of KAVRCalc produced an invalid save file. With a prerelease 1.9 version, I'm getting valid save and loads.

Can you try saving from version 1.8 and see if you still have a problem? If you do, is it possible for you to PM the file to me so I can debug it?

Thanks!

Kevin

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Kevin,

I was testing v1.8.
I have already sent a PM to you with the contents of the file.

Regards,

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Kevin,

Thank You VERY much for this GREAT tool.
As a beginner with AVR's and being new to programming, EVERY little tool helps. Your application makes checking Freq/Baud rates and Error % so much easier. No doubt I will be utilizing the rest of your Tool in the near future.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

Regards

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

puzzledbee wrote:
I was testing v1.8.
I have already sent a PM to you with the contents of the file.
Thanks, PB!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

ozra wrote:
Thank You VERY much for this GREAT tool.
Thanks for the kind words, Ozra -- glad to hear the time I've invested is of benefit to others.

Pages