Debugging the attiny1616 with avr-gdb and avarice

Hi,

does avarice support debugging the attiny1616? If I launch avarice I receive the following error message:

avarice --edbg --debugwire --ignore-intr :4242
AVaRICE version 2.14svn20200906, Oct 16 2021 10:40:06

JTAG config starting.
Found a device, serial number: J42700025884
initJtagBox() failed: JTAG ICE timeout exception

And

avarice -k 2>&1 | grep attiny1616

returns nothing. Does it mean it's not supported and won't work or am I missing something here? I'm using an Atmel-ICE.

T1616 does not have jtag, most likely a updi device, but that is supported by the Atmel-ICE.

For linux support MC offers MPLAB IDE, it should debug your device using the ICE no problem....

FF = PI > S.E.T

Thanks for your quick reply.

ki0bk wrote:

Quite likely as I use atmelice_updi to program, so UPDI seems right.

ki0bk wrote:

I prefer free software whenever possible. That's why I tried my luck with avarice and avr-gdb.

Just get MPLABX if you want to debug on Linux.

LQKJw wrote:
does avarice support debugging the attiny1616?

LQKJw wrote:
I'm using an Atmel-ICE.
Microchip's pyedbglib may be enough.

Microchip Studio's AVR GDB server is complete; IIRC, Atmel Studio and Microchip Studio atbackend.exe has a TCP port.

AVaRICE / Code / [r392] /trunk/avarice/src/devdescr.cc

GitHub - microchip-pic-avr-tools/pyedbglib: Low-level protocol library for communicating with Microchip CMSIS-DAP based debuggers

Microchip Studio 7.0.2542 | AVR Freaks

How do you debug avr code on non-windows platforms (Lazarus, Free Pascal)

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

avarice --edbg --debugwire --ignore-intr :4242

Well, "--debugwire" is clearly wrong, since the tiny1616 is a UPDI chip.

Does avarice support updi?  Is there a replacement interface between UPDI and gdb?  While I don't object to Studio or MPLABX, there are some "complicated things" that I'm more familiar with how to do with gdb...

westfw wrote:

Well, "--debugwire" is clearly wrong, since the tiny1616 is a UPDI chip.

Thanks for the info. I copied that from some other post from this forum.

westfw wrote:

I don't know. But as gchapmap wrote, avarice seems like a dead end with this chip.

westfw wrote:
Does avarice support updi?
An AVaRICE fork has UPDI.

AVaRICE / Feature Requests / #11 Support UPDI programming

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Just get MPLABX if you want to debug on Linux.