AVR books cheap

Go To Last Post
13 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Noticed these books for sale on ebay for cheap and thought it might be of some value to some Freaks new to AVR's

EMBEDDED C PROGRAMMING / ATMEL AVR W/CD LIST$116.95 NEW
about $12

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160187391992&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D160187391992%26fvi%3D1

if you go to the sellers items for sale it appears the seller has quite a few of them so more than one freak can benefit....

I put post here in AVR forum for visibility...if moderator thinks it should be moved go for it..

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

If this is indeed the latest (3006?) edition then it certainly is a fine price. Remember that it >>may<< be the international edition and some might find that unsatisfactory.

Quote:
Money Saving Tip:
This book is also available in an international edition that could save you money.
But international editions may have different text or graphics than the U.S. version. Before purchasing any alternate edition, check the seller's website to confirm that the book has the same content as the U.S. edition.

The earlier (2002?) edition seems to be readily available at Amazon used, eBay, half.com, and others. The main reason for my little blog is to post a link to www.bestboookbuys.com ==> www.bestwebbuys.com which is where I start when looking for a printed thing. usually end up at half.com anyway but not always.
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/books...

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Here is a good example of contradictary forces coming up against each other. A deep and complex topic (microcomputer programming in a high-level language) versus a tiny audience means any good-quality published book written on the topic will be very expensive.
But the general material itself is available freely on the web (abet in dense and cryptic form) in data sheets and C-tutorials. And all the hardware and supplies needed to get involved in this area (such as a variety of AVR samples, a Dragon, and assorted electronic parts) are available for less than $100.
Still, it is good to see a good intro tutorial book for $12. But, they are only at this price because they didn't sell and and are being dumped. Which means that it is unlikely that other and better books on the subject will be published. That's a shame because we will need high-quality tutorial books not just on the AVR but more specifically for the inexpensive but very complex 32-bit controllers that are beginning to appear.
Maybe microcontroller programming is destined to be a limited field with low barriers to entry but limited income potential and a steep learning curve that has to be done again each time a new device hits the market.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

If it was the 3006 edition it'd be a bloody miracle :lol:

(but item description does include "Publication date September 1, 2002 ")

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

LOL. I'm not even going to go back and edit it.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
The earlier (2002?) edition seems to be readily available at Amazon used, eBay, half.com, and others. The main reason for my little blog is to post a link to www.bestboookbuys.com ==> www.bestwebbuys.com which is where I start when looking for a printed thing. usually end up at half.com anyway but not always.
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/books... ... tk=P_Title

I just happened to notice it on ebay as I have a filter for Atmel and AVR on ebay...I think its the 2002 version...it would be a good purchase for AVR newbies no matter where they buy it especially if they are using Codevision..it probably would adddress many of the redundant questions on the forum a new Avr freak using AVR/Codevision has....

thanks for the book links..

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Simonetta wrote:
Here is a good example of contradictary forces coming up against each other. A deep and complex topic (microcomputer programming in a high-level language) versus a tiny audience means any good-quality published book written on the topic will be very expensive.
But the general material itself is available freely on the web (abet in dense and cryptic form) in data sheets and C-tutorials. And all the hardware and supplies needed to get involved in this area (such as a variety of AVR samples, a Dragon, and assorted electronic parts) are available for less than $100.
Still, it is good to see a good intro tutorial book for $12. But, they are only at this price because they didn't sell and and are being dumped. Which means that it is unlikely that other and better books on the subject will be published. That's a shame because we will need high-quality tutorial books not just on the AVR but more specifically for the inexpensive but very complex 32-bit controllers that are beginning to appear.
Maybe microcontroller programming is destined to be a limited field with low barriers to entry but limited income potential and a steep learning curve that has to be done again each time a new device hits the market.

Well, I know about a perfectly good book that is not nearly as expensive as the $116.96 2007 edition of Barnett's book, covers C better IMHO, uses WinAVR instead of CodeVision, and the <$25 Atmel Butterfly instead of the proprietary $60 MegaAVR-Dev board.

Not to be spammy and all.

Smiley

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
Well, I know about a perfectly good book that is not nearly as expensive as the $116.96 2007 edition of Barnett's book, covers C better IMHO, uses WinAVR instead of CodeVision, and the <$25 Atmel Butterfly instead of the proprietary $60 MegaAVR-Dev board.

had the AVR timer running to see how long it would take for Smiley to post :)

you are right..but from the number of newbie Codevision questions on the forum it seems that there are many new users who also use the freebie trial Codevision compiler version...and this book was written for them.

the $60 dev board you mention is a dog IMDO and not required for the book...the book experiments can be done with a solderless breadboard, an avr chip and some discretes, and yes an AVR programmer of some sorts like a $35 Atmel MKII ISP which is a good investment for any newbie..or a Dragon (ughhhh)..all stuff completely reusable....except the Dragon of course after it smokes! :roll:

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
freebie trial Codevision compiler version...and this book was written for them

My observation would be that if they go for the freebie version of CV, they won't spring hard currency for the book (but at what the OP quoted maybe they are a little more likely :-) ). Why should they spring for the book when they have Codevision experts here at their beck and call :-) .

Regards,
Steve

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Don't get me wrong, Barnett's book is really very good, especially as mentioned if you want to use Codevision. It doesn't go as deep with C as I do but it does go deeper in the AVR architecture.

BTW, does anyone know if the authors Barnett, Cox, or O'Cull every hang out here :wink: ?

Smiley

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

looks like about 10 people took advantage of the $12 price....the seller probably noticed the sudden demand as he has now raised the price to $50! that ought to slow demand to a crawl..kinda like gas prices

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I paid $80 for my 2006 version a couple months ago from Amazon.

We really need a book like the above expensive book based on the STK500 and AVRStudio. I am learning things but it would be easier if I didn't have to translate between the given Codevision and AVRStudio.

I think it is going to come down to buying a butterfly and Smiley's book to really get me going.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I bought the 2e (2006) brand new for about $35 at Tower Records (Rest In Peace). Actually I saw it a week earlier there (at 40% off). I decided to wait a week to see if they mark it down again -- which they did. I picked up 3 good books that week for very reasonable prices.