New Atmel product: STK 600

Pages

theusch wrote:
Anyway, there was a story of a person from the state of New Mexico that ordered tickets via the phone that day. When it came time to complete the order with the shipping address, he was informed that they could not be sent to a foreign country (his New Mexico address). A supervisor was summoned, who confirmed that the tickets could not be sent to New Mexico as it was a foreign country.

This is not uncommon, Lee. As a NM resident trying to make flight reservations, more than once I was told my call needed to be transferred to their "International Reservations" group.

kmr wrote:
theusch wrote:

These horror stories are so sad. It's embarrassing that so many American really are that stupid!!! Does explain our politics and voting thou. I knew they were stupid these stories just help confirm my theory.
Thanks I think?
John

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

zoomcityzoom wrote:
I heard a price of three hundred and some dollars USD today at the Seattle (Bellevue) Pico power workshop.

And the availability in "a couple of moths', but nothing definite.

And it is definitely not compatible with the STK500 top boards (though it should be possible to make an adaptor board). The rep said that the STK600 was not designed as a replacement for the STK500, it is a product in and of itself and they will continue to sell the STK500. The STK600 was designed to be used with all AVRs (both 8 bit and 32 bit), and that alone makes it more expensive. But if you would need the STK500 and 3 or 4 of the top boards, the price is more on line with the STK600.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

Interestingly, looking back at the "top secret" target in the AVRTV episode 3, it's now clearly identifiable as a STK600.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

There's some questions there that I'll need to check with Eivind before I can answer. He did give me an idea of release dates and I think the reason for delay is common knowledge.

@Dean, As for the software/.chm documentation file for STK600, Eivind gave me access to SP2 for Studio 4.13 that contains this but it's not generally accessible yet and I got it under pain of death that I wouldn't release it to anyone. (but it was kind of tricky to do anything with the board with no software and no documentation before that!)

@chrometsuba, I now have a camera that can do (low res!) video and I've programmed up the supplied mega32 and mega1281 and also a mega168 (and a mega16 in my old STK500) with some light flashing software so I hope to show in the video how the sandwich making actually works. One of the key things in the use of the board is a large table in the .chm file that basically lists for every AVR which top board and which routing card to use. Once you know that then using various chips becomes a doddle. What's more that DIP ZIF socket is wide enough that it can accomodate all the "thin" chips as well as the 40pin DIPs so a 28 pin chip like the mega168 just huddles down one end

Anyway, video (hopefully) coming up shortly...

Cliff

My first ever YouTube video:

(I have a sneaking suspicion I may not be winning any Oscars this year!)

The description I put on that YouTube page is:

Quote:
Short video showing Atmel's new STK600 development board. Board alongside is STK500 with a mega16 for comparison. Video shows it starting with mega32 fitted. This is removed so a 28 pin routing card can be fitted then the chip in the ZIF is changed to a mega168 and that runs. This is finally removed and a routing card and topboard with a TQFP mega1281 is then used.

AllN wrote:
Hi John.
I find it even further disturbing that this geographic ignorance is coming from people working in the travel business.

@:-Cliff
Way cool videos are so much better that pictures. Thanks Cliff and will you lets us know when you finish your evaluation as to whether you would buy it or stick to Dragon + SKT500.
Thanks

kmr wrote:
AllN wrote:
Hi John.
I agree that's why it's so sad!!!
Cheers,
John

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

abcminiuser wrote:
- Dean :twisted:

Close, but no cigar.
The STK600 is just a vessel in this case ;-)

*** Eivind, webmaster ***

kmr wrote:
And their supervisors.
I wonder if it would help to tell them that New Mexico
is in the same country as New England and New York.
Maybe the zip code would help.

Iluvatar is the better part of Valar.

kmr wrote:
AllN wrote:
Hi John.

Well, as usual when the bigots decide to focus exclusively on Americans, I have to jump in. Does anyone want to claim Americans are uniquely stupid? Especially about geography? Shall I trot out my stories of visits to Canada and Europe where I remember thinking on many occasions: 'by golly some of these guys are as stupid as...' Won't fill in the ellipsis.

It is not polite to brand an entire people, especially on an international forum. Just imagine the response you might get it you said this about Brits, or Aussies, or Swedes.

Smiley

P.S.
Sorry Cliff about the hijacking, your pictures are great and the video is fun to see.

SORRY, MY BAD, MOVED FURTHER RESPONSES TO https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

WHERE I APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY

Last Edited: Fri. Oct 12, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Quote:
Well, as usual when the bigots decide to focus exclusively on Americans,

Quote:
big·ot (bĭg'ət)
n.

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

So far, I think most people who are actually participating in that branch of the conversation are Americans (sorry if I'm mislabelling some people), so I don't think the term "bigot" is strictly applicable in this case.

Well, maybe some New Mexicans are being bigoted against Georgians...

Anyway, your point is well taken, though, that Americans definitely don't hold a monopoly on stupid people.

- Luke

PS: Cliff, I, too, regret not having enough restraint to keep this thread on topic.

@:-Joe & Luke
All good points!
I guess I just expect more of my own countrymen, never meant to offend, just embarrassing! Lets just blame it on out sourcing and claim it was foreigner telephone operators. Oops then I would be a bigot.
No graceful way out of this one!

Sorry if I offended anyone, really.
John

PS: Cliff, I, too, now regret not having enough restraint to keep this thread on topic.

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

[regrets on another off-topic remark]

Hi Smiley, I did not mean to imply that the phone operators were Americans. For all I know, the call center redirecting me to "International Reservations" may well be located outside the USA.

To keep Cliff's excellent thread on-topic, perhaps we need to make a new thread about: what's a bigot, who's a bigot, who's calling who a bigot, to what groups is bigotry is being directed, who's particularly sensitive and non-sensitive to the issue. We can also mix in any other name calling we can think of.

Well if I had mod powers (I was half thinking of asking Eivind) then I'd make a copy of this thread in OT and then delete alll the rubbish from this copy and delete anything about the STK600 (the actual subject of the thread) from the OT copy.

I was beginning to assume that no one's actually interested in anything more to do with the STK600 then?

FX:"woosh" - and there go ALL the toys out of the pram!

Anyway, if there IS anyone left with any interest in it then I've now ported all my standard interrupt driven UART command menu stuff to the 1281 code and added in my Dataflash support routines so I can have a "play" with reading/writing data to the onboard AT45 (in fact the help says it's a AT45DB041B 4MBit device)

As it's getting a bit complicated and I've already had a few things that involved a couple of minutes of using the Lee Theusch debugging device I think I may try using the JTAGICEmkII with it next

Cliff

Really sorry Cliff!!!
Very interested in all you do and as requested before would like to know your opinion on SKT500 + Dragon or the new SKT600 to replace same or for newbies.

John

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

Sorry for creating the distraction Cliff...

I'll try to control myself a bit better, from here on out..............

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Quote:
And the availability in "a couple of moths', but nothing definite.

I see Atmel are continuing to link their products to lepidoptera. Maybe Dean can write a "MotherLode" program?

Four legs good, two legs bad, three legs stable.

I'm still reading for info on this board. Got a Dragon you could try on the JTAG for debugging? There is almost no way I could afford an JTAGICEmk2 and the STK600, so I'm not all that interested in that test.

And from the video those plastic screw things seem a bit "fiddley", maybe Atmel should include a small electric screwdriver with special tip to drive those plastic bits.

But at any rate, if you keep writing about this product, I'll keep reading what you write. Some of it is (in practice) over my head, but at least most of the theory still bounces on the top as it moves past.

hmm can the 32MHz be an indication of the Xmega's top speed?

From what I have been reading so far, I don't think I will be interested in this board for a while. A bit too expensive and since I so far only use the classic 8-bit AVRs my STK500 will last a while longer.

Hello Cliff,

I apologize for asking so many questions but I am curious about the how good in your opinion the card contacts are? Does it seem like they would handle many chip/plate changes?

Thanks,
James

Looks like a beautiful toy really. Congrats cliff!

Edit:

Quote:
hmm can the 32MHz be an indication of the Xmega's top speed?
Yes, that is their top speed. Too bad they do not work at 5V though.

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.

The_village_idiot wrote:

Only reason I mentioned JTAGICEmkII rather than Dragon is because its the 1281 I currently have fitted. But if I switch back to a mega32, 168 or 16 then I could try giving the Dragon a run for it's money.

By the way did anyone spot in the video that the board was being solely powered by the USB cable but, given everyone's experiences with Dragons I'm not too sure I'm keen on doing this for a prolonged length of time. So I'll switch back to using one of our STK500 power supplies that I was using previously I think. Talking of PSUs, all you get in the box is a cable with bare leads on one end and a power jack on the other, presumably the intention is that one uses a bench PSU?

CountZero wrote:
hmm can the 32MHz be an indication of the Xmega's top speed?

Like I say, I think it's actually catering for AVR32 UC3s in fact but I guess it's a possibility.
jbtech wrote:

When I first saw this sandwich system I thought "right, that's going to last about 5 minutes" but having used it a bit I'm a bit more convinced. However the size of the location spigots does worry me a bit. If one of those broke (especially on the motherboard connectors) you'd be completely stuffed. But having inserted and dug out DIP packaged chips into the sockets on the STK500 many many times I think I prefer this and the 40 way ZIP on the DIP topboard is so much nicer to use (and I guess that in reality you won't be swapping the underlying routing board every 5 minutes anyway)

Cliff

Cliff, very nice photos production of the STK600 kit.
Alos the run down what you done in testing.
Hope they are not like the Dragon that is sensitive to ESD & being fried by finger touch.
Sure love to have one if the price is reasonable.
Some one quoted about $300 but for Australia that could blow out to more than $600 & that not including freight.

Ken

Quote:

Close, but no cigar.
The STK600 is just a vessel in this case Wink

Darn. Oh well, my vote to the XMEGA then!

Quote:

Nice videos Cliff, very interesting. I understand about the Service Pack - when I was offered the DB101, I couldn't even mention its existance until it was officially announced. Guess I'll just have to wait a little bit longer then ;). If you want, I can add a blurb on the board and I'll edit it into my Atmel Tools Overview tutorial.

- Dean :twisted:

Nice! A silent movie :lol: could have said something, at least we would hear your voice...we would not hold against you the English accent :)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Cliff: Nice video =)

how sensitive are the top boards to being aligned correctly? ie: is there some design feature which forces the boards to correctly line up? also, is the bottom of the top-top card fitted with the same contact devices as the mainboard?

js wrote:

John,

Call me shy. But also the fact is that I have a really bad sore throat right now and can barely talk (though the deepened voice is allowing for a great rendition of "Old man river"!)

chrometsuba wrote:

Actually the alignment seems to work very well. If you just shuffle the cards about a bit it suddenly "clicks" into place and then you can just put in the screws (or use the clips which is the other option) to hold them in place.

The bottom of the topboards has the same spring loaded connectors as the top of the motherboard and the routing cards in the middle just have a plain set of PCB "fingers" on either side.

I was preparing a narrative for the DB101 videos, then decided to yank out the audio with Virtual Dub and cut it up into very short sections for upload. Cliff must be my double - I've got a sore throat right now too! Thank Atmel for Vick's Lozenges!

WE ARE THE BORG. YOU WILL BE ELIMINATED.

- Dean :twisted: