STK500 - Atmega8 - Invalid Device Signature

Hi,

when trying to program via avrdude and STK500 my ATMEGA8

avrdude -p atmega8 -c stk500 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U first.out -F

I get an error message regarding invalide device signature: (attached the whole, verbose output)

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x70f049
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega8 is 1E 93 07

Unfortunately the device signature reported by avrdude (0x70f049) changes each time.

Same problem when replacing the Atmega8 with an Atmega16.

The STK itself seem to work, as the program which is currenylt on the Microcontroller works, and the status LED is green.

My setup already worked. But i think I broke it/the STK when i attach a stepmotor to the Atmega.. :( The Status Led switched immediately to red (short circuit), I assume this was because too much current has been drained..

Is there a way to fix this?

Welcome to AVRFreaks!

paul2244 wrote:
Is there a way to fix this?

Fix what, the signature not reading or the short circuit?

Begin here to see how to ask questions: https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

But i think I broke it/the STK when i attach a stepmotor to the Atmega

What does your motor driver circuit look like (what chips or transistors)? you could feedback high voltage spikkes that damaged things.

Do things return to normal with all of that disconnected (assume no , you prob already tried that)

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

ki0bk wrote:

Fix what, the signature not reading or the short circuit?

The short curcuit is already removed, i removed the step motor and the corresponding driver.

avrcandies wrote:

But i think I broke it/the STK when i attach a stepmotor to the Atmega

I already reomved the motor driver curcuit, so the problem appears when only using STK500, Atmega8 and attached LEDS PORTB.

What I would to 'fix' is to enable programming of my Atmega again, which most likely corresponds to the read signature.

I would try a new atmega if you can not read its signature then your stk500 is broken!

ki0bk wrote:

Yeah, new Atmega is not changing anything. Too bad... in that case I guess i have to throw it away.. Thanks tho

The Status Led switched immediately to red (short circuit),

Is it still red with all the motor stuff removed? If green, there is hope

Last Edited: Thu. Mar 26, 2020 - 11:22 PM

avrcandies wrote:

The Status Led switched immediately to red (short circuit),

Is it still red with all the motor stuff removed? If green, there is hope

When starting the STK, the Status LED switches from Red - Orange - Green - Off - Green and stays Green.

Have you tried using it with Atmel Studio?

avrcandies wrote:

Have you tried using it with Atmel Studio?

I will try that as soon as I have a windows machine running :) I'll come back, thanks!