This is m y first post here; i think that this forum is a great place! I was directed here from a friend of mine that freqents this place regularly. My project falls into another category than what he is used to working on and so he said i should contact some of you great people.
I am hoping that i can get some help with a project that i would like to complete. I am trying to build a usb game controller that does not involve the "Arduino". I have made many projects with the Arduino and am looking to be a little more professional with this project. I think the Arduino is a great tool; but i would like to become a little more professional with my work. I have programmed a few projects with PIC's before; but nothing very complex.
If anyone has any tips on where to start or anything i would be greatly appreciative. Below is my project outline and thoughts so far:
Demands: 17 Buttons, 2 analog Joysticks, USB connect to computer, Have device recognized by the computer when plugged in, Possibly develop a driver to go with it.
1. Determine what will be the most suitable microcontroller for this.
- i have made the controller with arduino micro. Should i try the ATMega chip on there without the arduino bootloader?
- What do i need to take into account for this?
2. Figure out what i need to get started programming this thing
- I think that i can find this info easily enough. Any recommendations on the best ISP to use?
- Just use the free software?
3. Help With the Coding
- I would like to learn as much as possible while completing the project but need some help. I haven't the slightest clue where to start with this one.
- I can figure the simple things out like blinking and buttons but i have no idea where to start with the USB talking and making sure everything will work smoothly.
Any thoughts would be welcome. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere. I tried to search game controller on here but found nothing.