Help please [avrdude / bootloader will not work any more]

that's how it looks like I'm going 10 minutes after I load the m32 bootloader why does not it let me load anymore, does anyone have an explanation? I can not find anything on the internet, please help!

Attachment(s):

David

Last Edited: Mon. May 20, 2019 - 10:37 AM

Welcome to AVRFreaks!

Well I've never seen this board before so I would seek support from its maker.

What does support at www.and-tech.pl say?

Arduino's are the beginners choice for an AVR platform, LOTS of examples and support.

(Possum Lodge oath) Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

"I thought growing old would take longer"

Last Edited: Fri. May 17, 2019 - 12:50 PM

Black boxes are the classic symptom of an LCD that has not been initialised properly.  Usually that comes down to a question of timing though it could also be the wrong sequence of commands. So say what speed this board is run at and show your LCD code.

That's the usual first sign from a new LCD project. That's the LCD's rather unhelpful error message. It means, "you have something wrong and I'm not going to tell you what." Check your init code. I got it once when I had two of the control lines swapped.

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut.

Depending on how the fuses are set, the jtag debug interface may be enabled, so PC2-PC5 are not available to you, try moving your LCD connections to PortA or PortD and change your program to use that port for LCD comms.

(Possum Lodge oath) Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

"I thought growing old would take longer"

The dark boxes are coming...

Four legs good, two legs bad, three legs stable.

Last Edited: Fri. May 17, 2019 - 04:38 PM

Had the same problem on an Arduino.
Tried everything messed about with it for an extreme time.
Tried all kinds of libraries, made up some test routines, put a CRO on it, and all that other stuff.
Searched this board and found someone else had that problem and found their I/O port on pin 13 was faulty.
It turned out that was my problem too. Pin 13 drives a LED and also supplies the SCK.
Moral of the story is never assume anything.

Last Edited: Fri. May 17, 2019 - 10:37 PM

David

After I load a bootloader I do not go anywhere I tried to do cv but it does not even work as I thank for support

David

I know how painful this problem is, as mentioned before it took me ages to get it working and I have many products on the market.
For some reason a lot seem to have a problem getting this running.
I did a search on this board and went though the all threads until I found it, recommend doing this as its all been covered before.
You need to get an I2C bus sniffer installed and running.
This will show you the address of every I2C device on the buss, reason is that it is very common to be sending display information to the wrong address.
Until you can see your display address on the buss sniffer nothings going to happen, its the most useful tool to help you.
The address on most displays is set by solder links on your I2C interface board (on the back of the display), Google any and all information on your display to provide you the info on what the address is or may be and try them.
There are three or four common address used for displays, I think 23 and 26 were a few, again google it to find the others.
The addresses were all covered in a search of this board.
Check for a thread headed "fifty dollars to any one who can get my display running" or something like that.
And don't give up.

Last Edited: Sat. May 18, 2019 - 04:52 AM

You know if you are using 4 data pins, they are the 4 high pins on the LCD, not the 4 low ones.

i don't understand

David

The pins on the LCD are usually Vcc, V-display, ground, RS, RW, E, then D0 - D7, then the cathode and anode for the backlight if it has ones.  The first 4 data pins on the LCD, usually marked D0 - D3 are not used.  It is the last 4 that are connected to the microcontroller.  DataPin0 in the code is connected to D4 on the LCD.  DataPin1 in the code goes to D5 on the LCD, and so forth.  It can be confusing.  You just use the last 4 data pins instead of the first 4, like you would expect.  Hope that makes sense.

You could also be getting black blocks if V-display is too high.  I put a 10k pot with two outer pins connected to Vcc and ground, the then solder the wiper to V-Display, which is usually between Vcc and ground.  Turning the pot then changes the voltage driving the LCD display.

Hope that helps.  sorry it took so long.  I forgot to send my first comments, then had to type it all in again.

Edit.  Sorry, the first 3 pins on the LCD are Vcc, Gnd, V-display, so the two sides of the pot go to the first two pins in the LCD, and the wiper goes to the third one, usually marked V0, but is the display voltage.

mark

Last Edited: Mon. May 20, 2019 - 01:34 AM

how could I rewrite Atmega32A-PU

David

ki0bk wrote:

^^^^That. The photo of the boards shows that Port C is being used, so that means JTAG. So, @OP, have you disabled JTAG?

nechiforel wrote:

how could I rewrite Atmega32A-PU

Is your problem solved then? Or do you think changing chip will help?

#1 Hardware Problem? https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

#2 Hardware Problem? Read AVR042.

#3 All grounds are not created equal

#4 Have you proved your chip is running at xxMHz?

#5 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand."

Apologies to everyone in this thread. Because OP just created it with "Help Please" I edited the title to add something more sensible. Sadly I was misled by the picture and simply thought this was about LCD black boxes/initialisation but it's not. It's about a mega32 bootloader and avrdude that have stopped working. So I've now adjusted the thread title to highlight that fact. So the LCD thing was all a complete red herring.

Sorry about that blush

nechiforel wrote:

how could I rewrite Atmega32A-PU

To put back a bootloader (just as was required to put in a bootloader in the first place) you need an ISP (or JTAG) programmer. Do you own such a thing?