Greets Freaks -
I need to retrofit an existing product with a connector. Yes, there are a huge number of connectors out there, thus this request to help narrow the field. Here are some of the important attributes:
1) Cost, always cost! Within limits, lower is better
2) IP65 or better, mated and un-mated. Some kind of cover is quite acceptable.
3) Not too deep behind the panel. 10mm is probably OK. Might be able to accept a bit more. Diameter is less of a problem than behind panel depth. Can also extend quite a ways out from the panel.
4) Available in a variety of pin configurations
5) Low power (under 50mA, peak), low voltage (under 18V), DC
6) Easy to connect and disconnect with gloved hands
7) Would prefer availability through standard US industrial distribution (not EBay, AliBaba, etc)
8) Connector DOES NOT have to be circular, though the bulkhead hole should not require odd operations (example DB9). Bulkhead is plastic so punch operations are not appropriate.
<edit> It would also be nice if the series includes inserts for USB or ethernet connectors but that is a way-in-the-future requirement. </edit>
Part of the problem is that DigiKey and Mouser do NOT index connectors by weather resistance at the top level search. This connector might be automotive, might be marine, or such. Bulgin has several lines that are fairly attractive but hoping for some other suggestions.