ATtiny3217 programming and development

I have been  doing a fair amount of research before starting a new project and have decided that the ATtiny3217 seems to be the most powerful AVR device for it's size and price-point. I have developed and programmed for AVRs based on the ISP programming standard using AVRDUDE on the raspberry Pi. The ATtiny3217 however seems to use an interface called UPDI. I have looked into the protocol and the Atmel-ICE programmer seems to be able to do the trick but runs for about $200CAD which is a lot more than I would like to spend on this project. There isn't a lot of information available online about the chip yet as it has only officially been on the market since last November. Do any of you know of alternative programmers that could save me the financial burden of Atmel's programmer?

You local friendly BITTWIDDLER,
-Slams

Slams256 wrote:

... The ATtiny3217 however seems to use an interface called UPDI. I have looked into the protocol and the Atmel-ICE programmer seems to be able to do the trick but runs for about $200CAD which is a lot more than I would like to spend on this project. There isn't a lot of information available online about the chip yet as it has only officially been on the market since last November. Do any of you know of alternative programmers that could save me the financial burden of Atmel's programmer?

Did you look at the Eval boards ?

I can see a ATTINY3217 XPLAINED PRO EVAL BRD, which should bring out the UPDI to allow external pgm ? - Check the SCH

There are Xplained boards that likely support UPDI too (but not for the 3217, and IIRC the smallest xplained PCBs did not make it easy to connect external MCUs )

You may want to look into the cheap Microchip SNAP programmer, unfortunately it seems that it doesn't play too well for a few users here.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Maybe the ATmega4809 Curiosity Nano would be a good option? It's not expensive.

The problem is, this MCU is from the AVR-0 series, so it's missing some peripherals, most notably the timer type D and the DAC. Other than this, it's similar to the tiny3217.

After a little more research it seems that the PICKIT 4 is also supported for programming/debugging of the ATtiny3217, at $70 on digikey. Seems like the most economical option, however doesn't appear to be tested 100%. It's frustrating that the tools aren't guaranteed to work for their own products. I read somewhere that someone had written a UPDI programmer in python on the RPi but am working in Atmel Studio and would ideally like to have a debugging interface as it seems to an integrated feature.

You local friendly BITTWIDDLER,
-Slams

doesn't appear to be tested 100%. It's frustrating

Yep, I have one of those and didn't go too far, others have though.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I will consider looking into EVAL boards. I don't really like the idea, but may borrow portions of the schematic.

You local friendly BITTWIDDLER,
-Slams

The ATmega4809 does seem like a great option! I am designing an LED controller, so the more PWM outputs supported the better! The one thing I liked about the Tiny3217 was the cap-sense IO pins that I was looking to use as UI inputs. I could definitely look into a cap-sense IC however. I will need to sleep on this one.

You local friendly BITTWIDDLER,
-Slams

Slams256 wrote:

...

Then why not get the low cost MPLAB SNAP DEBUGGER/programmer, mentioned above, and try that ?

Last Edited: Sun. Apr 28, 2019 - 11:47 PM

Or, if you just want to program with minimal hw: https://github.com/mraardvark/pyupdi

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

I can see a ATTINY3217 XPLAINED PRO EVAL BRD

I just bought one a few weeks ago & was amazed the prices was so high...like $45!!!  ....I have a similar board for the mega328pb & those were more like $9.50...they both have programmers & debuggers...not sure why the $$$ difference.

The ATmega328PB Xplained Mini evaluation kit is a hardware platform for evaluating the ATmega328PB microcontroller (MCU). The evaluation kit comes with a fully integrated debugger that provides seamless integration with Atmel Studio.

AIl I need is the capability of the $10 board to dump some code into the chip & be able to connect to the pins.  I don't intend to do any debugging.

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

avrcandies wrote:

Yes, there is a jump for not much gain, but I think the debug on the more expensive one, is a little bit better.

The SNAP mentioned should be even better still, as it uses a HS-USB connection, and a 300MHz ARM as the local debug firmware host.

Agree with Morten's suggestion to use pyupdi ( https://github.com/mraardvark/pyupdi/ ) I have used this successfully on the raspberry pi as well.

Also think the mega4809 curiosity nano is a nice board, which can be used as an off-board UPDI programmer by cutting some straps, or wire up the CDC as a pyupdi adapter for external targets.

Slams256 wrote:
77CAD

Atmel-ICE-C Kit for debugging and programming Atmel SAM and AVR microcontroller 614961953789 | eBay

Atmel-ICE - Waveshare Wiki

Slams256 wrote:

by El Tangas

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

El Tangas wrote:
[mega4809] ... and the DAC.
internal only, 8-bits, search for DACREF :

megaAVR 0-series FDS

in DIP for breadboard, protoboard, 1-layer PCB :

ATMEGA4809 - 8-bit AVR Microcontrollers - Microcontrollers and Processors

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Slams256 wrote:
...  at $70 on digikey.
Likewise 70USD on eBay though with an added PIC capability.

MPLAB PICkit 4 adds Vpp (12V reset for UPDI on tinyAVR 0-series and 1-series, UPDI/RESET/IO)

IIRC, a PICkit 4 configured for EDBG will be visible in Atmel Studio 7.

Slams256 wrote:
Significant effort to verify for each AVR (will be awhile for MPLAB X v5)

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

I expect PICKit4 and SNAP to adequately support TINY-0, TINY-1, and MEGA-0 (will there be a MEGA-1?) *eventually*.  It's just that AVR support for Microchip programmers, the tiny-1, the SNAP and PK4 are all relatively new things, so it's not quite working yet.

westfw wrote:
(will there be a MEGA-1?)
assuming yes as USB megaAVR are "old"

USB PIC versus USB megaAVR :

• no crystal vs crystal for USB full-speed
  • 32 endpoints vs 6
  • 1KB dual-port RAM vs 832B

USB PIC USART adds FBRG and auto-baud.

PIC18F45K50 - Microcontrollers and Processors

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Hey,

I really appreciate all the help and discussion that this generated.

I want to get this project rolling asap so I picked up the SNAP programmer as it seems it will do what I require and I will be powering the board externally already.

I am quite interested in testing out morten & mraardvark's suggestion and will try this first but wanted to fall back onto something if I had any issues.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback and I will let you know how it goes.

You local friendly BITTWIDDLER,
-Slams

avrcandies wrote:
38USD minus 7.6USD

Dev Tool Deals | Microchip Technology

...

May Development Tool Deals

ATtiny3217 Xplained Pro (ATTINY3217-XPRO)

Use Coupon Code: TP1961

20% Off

...

ATtiny3217 Xplained Pro

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

20% Off

Wish I had seen that! ...maybe I'll by another, just to feel good about saving 20%

Hi folks. In regards to the discussion above, I just wanted to share a few links that I think will be helpful to me:

Hey Guys,

I know its a really old thread.
Any updates on the RPi to Tiny programming with UPDI.

I tried the pyupdi option but ran into issues like initialization. No idea what it is. I can share my terminal output here but want to see if there is any tutorial or alternative available.

Thanks

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

avrcandies wrote:

LOL... that's funny, because I just bought a snap... it doesn't work,  but at least I saved 30% ! smiley

Plexd wrote:
it doesn't work

did you remember to do the AVR mods to the Snap??

mraardvark wrote:

The probably best solution would be the ATTINY3217 Curiosity Nano. The price is the same as for all other Curiosity Nano boards for AVR.

For the final board, I agree with the suggestions for pyupdi, it's very easy to use.

Last Edited: Tue. Sep 29, 2020 - 11:13 PM