Component shortages got you down? Here are five tactics you can employ to help the situation.
by Duane Benson (Chief Technology Champion, Screaming Circuits)
Oct 29, 2018
Hardest hit are multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs). Resistors and many silicon components are also caught up in it. Some components are expected to be in short supply until the year 2020.
We may be saying goodbye to 0603 and larger surface-mount packages for many component values.
Continue reading for five ways you can minimize the disruption to your design and manufacturing program.
My take on Duane's 5 ways :
- continual evaluation of BOM for lead time and stock (your stock and distributors' stock)
- alternates into the BOM per PCBA manufacturer
- value in BOM is narrow or wide tolerance
- 0402, BGA and QFN are soon
- ready yourself for the 0300 telephone call from the PCBA manufacturer