getting USB to work at all

My target is a atmega32u4.

I can connect to it with JTAG and a USB cable.

As a practical matter, that is it.

My immediate goal is to make LUFA work at all:

A CDC that will emit ABC... at one character per second.

There isn't much else for it to do.

I've used LUFA before, starting when it was still MyUSB,

and that makes me want  to try it again.

My recollection is that it wasn't too hard to use once one got used to it,

but right now I'm wheel-spinning.

I'm open to suggestion.

I tried building the Virtual Serial demo with BOARD=USER,

but it choked on a missing header file, undefined LEDs and stuff.

It looked like fixing it would be a lot of work and I don't know what it does.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

If you're using Atmel Studio, you can use the LUFA's Studio Extension.

Take a look at this post.

Is there an actual usable listing/spreadsheet of the extensions, this link was the only one I founds & these extensions are arraigned like they were randomly thrown into a trash barrel.

Five click later & the same extension shows up , but perhaps a more recent (or older) vintage.  No rhyme or reason.  I think I saw the same terminal  program appear 5 different places.

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.

If you are looking for the LUFA extension, try:

Last Edited: Sun. Apr 15, 2018 - 01:16 AM

Actually, if I want to integrate it with the rest of my code,

I'll need to use CMake.

With effort, I did get VirtualSerial to compile and link.

Haven't uploaded it yet.

I'll get back to you on the result.

Dean's complete reliance on garbage collection is fascinating.

Were I able to write something like LUFA,

that would be more of a complaint.

I did some grepping to figure out which files the demo used.

The answer surprised me.

I'm not where I can get at that now,

so that is something else I'll get back to you on.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

Windows 10 wrote:
The third-party inf does not contain digital signature information
I've uploaded the demo,

but do not seem able to connect the port.

Trying to install "LUFA VirtualSerial.inf" produces the above message.

Any thought on how to fix?

Googling produced a somewhat horrendous answer for windows 8.

I expect there is a better.

Interestingly enough, Arduino tools can see the port even though it seems non-functional.

It does not show up next to (COM & LPT) the other virtual serial port that I can use.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

I found this depressing bit of information at http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com...​ .

Dean Camera wrote:
No LUFA provided driver INF files for Windows are signed, and thus may fail to install on systems where driver signing is enforced (e.g. Windows 8).
I'd prefer to avoid the slightly horrendous workaround I mentioned earlier.

​Anyont hae a non-horrendous idea?

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

I tried the slightly horrendous method.

Didn't work.

Still got the error message.

Apparently there is no way to use LUFA on Windows 10.

I'm never buying Windows 10 or Lenovo again.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

Go HERE and read carefully.  I would use the command prompt method.  Remember to turn off nointegritychecks when the driver has been installed.

First open an elevated command prompt, then bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on, install the driver, followed by bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

Last Edited: Tue. Apr 17, 2018 - 12:06 AM

larryvc wrote:

I'd been here before without success.

I did it again mostly to be able to say I did.

Somehow, that seems to have helped Michael realize he did two stupids.

The first, I do not know when I did it: I moved *the* USB cable from the port I wanted to the port I did not.

I do not remember doing that.

The second I did several times: Staring at the device manager entry for

the unwanted port and not realizing why I did not see the wanted port.

Though not obvious yet, I suspect the port works.

The next thing I need to do is make the demo pat the watchdog.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

W10 seems to be stuck in test mode.

I do not know how to get out of it.

The route by which I got here seems to have only one lane.

Anyone know how to get out of it or whether I need to.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

Methinks Michael needs to find the hat with my head in it.

Just do an ordinary restart, right?

Edit: nope.  Had to do bcdedit /set testsigning off

I'm not by the W10 machine right now.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

Last Edited: Tue. Apr 17, 2018 - 03:08 PM

skeeve wrote:
Dean's complete reliance on garbage collection is fascinating. Were I able to write something like LUFA, that would be more of a complaint.
His design approach for this has always intrigued me. My one complaint is that because it is such a big code tree it's then building quite a lot of stuff (over quite a lot of time) that will later be discarded.

skeeve wrote:

I made an attempt with the VirtualSerial demo:

grep -F '>:' VirtualSerial.lss > names.txt

../../../../LUFA/Drivers/USB/Core/USBTask.c
../../../../LUFA/Drivers/USB/Core/XMEGA/EndpointStream_XMEGA.c
../../../../LUFA/Drivers/USB/Core/XMEGA/Endpoint_XMEGA.c
../../../../LUFA/Drivers/USB/Core/XMEGA/Template/Template_Endpoint_RW.c
../../../../LUFA/Drivers/USB/Core/XMEGA/USBController_XMEGA.c
../../../../LUFA/Drivers/USB/Core/XMEGA/USBInterrupt_XMEGA.c

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

Last Edited: Tue. Apr 17, 2018 - 03:35 PM

skeeve wrote:
Edit: nope.  Had to do bcdedit /set testsigning off

But where in my post #9 did I tell you to muck with the testsigning settings?  I suggested that you read the information at the link very carefully.  Then I gave you instructions on exactly what to do.  You never did have to change the testsigning settings at all.

Did you got the driver installed?

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

Last Edited: Tue. Apr 17, 2018 - 04:04 PM

larryvc wrote:
skeeve wrote:
Edit: nope.  Had to do bcdedit /set testsigning off

I was already in testsigning mode when I read #9.

The driver might already have been installed,

but as noted, I had already done a couple stupids.

Quote:
Did you got the driver installed?

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?

Last Edited: Tue. Apr 17, 2018 - 04:17 PM

skeeve wrote:
Mine is that it inhibits understanding and figuring out what file I need in my own code. I made an attempt with the VirtualSerial demo:
Would the .map be a better place to start looking for what is actually linked in the final output? (though it will have a large "discarded" section at the top listing everything that didn't make it)

A little: 32 files.  No XMega, Template or DBMS,

but there is HID and Host.

International Theophysical Year seems to have been forgotten..
Anyone remember the song Jukebox Band?