So I still have a bunch of AT90S8515s SMT QFP 4 megahertz. Recently I got out the ICE200 and it still works.
I also have a retro project (discussed elsewhere.) Now I want to connect an ADAFruit ILI9341 to said AT90S8515. Turns out most of the online docs on AT90S8515 under Arduino are wrong. Or do not implement the UART. Cutting to the chase, what should have taken 10 minutes has gone into the second day. About 3 hours were from chasing down a missing ; as in assem the baud rate definition is a define and it is a uint16_t in the C++ world.
I had to create a custom variant with a custom core cloned from a working variant. I then had to add a bunch of Ifdefs to hardware_serial, so it would create a serial instance until I got it to compile without error.
Next issue is that the ADAFruit GFX library overflowed the elf .text section by 4K bytes. I am only interested in the character display. So comment out as much as I could in the sketch, to find the Font machinery still overflows by 2K. Interesting enough the font comes in around 2K.
I comment out the ADAFruit GFX library and got no savings. Comment out the The ILI9341 library and the code builds at around 2K. At this point really only the serial library is active.
I go to the temp folder and there is an elf and a hex file. There are no listings file like the STM32 arm gives. More online searching, no where is there what compiler option is is needed to present a listing. The compiler option seems to be ""-Wa,-adhln -g" followed by some piping commands. online example shows .c > .s Then gets complicated where there are multiple source files which in turn is complicated that arduino does not use make files. It seems that there must be someone out there who has enabled this for AVR.
So what does one do to enable the .map and .lst output? If I am going to muck about with the library code, I would like to see a .list file to know If I am setting the correct bits in the registers. That the registers are where I think they are. If the code is being optimized the way I think it should. I did attempt to look at the .elf with an online program. which gives pretty raw looking code, not linking back to the source tree.
Still,the glass is half full. The changes to the serial library, do look somewhat 'spectable. The .hex probably will run if I upload it via the STK500. I still need to work out the parameters for that as the AT90S8515 does not have an SPM instruction, so an ISP is needed. That entails looking again to see if I can find the 'tools' recipe to enable the dragon in STK500 mode. The last time I tried the online examples were wrong, or for older IDEs or USB bridges. I forget if there is a native OSX JUNGO driver in Sierra or whatever mountain I am currently running.