Hear ye, hear ye, get your Atmel Ice at $50 off...

Go To Last Post
44 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

Buy direct from Microchip and you get a voucher code on the order page: TP1657, worth $50 off the pre-vat price. Not bad. Expires in ONE WEEK - you have been warned!

Postage is only £5 as well.

See https://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?keywords=ATATMEL-ICE for details.

Just ordered one myself - process seems easy enough and you can buy via PayPal.

Murdo.

There are already a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, and the internet is nothing like Shakespeare!

Last Edited: Sun. Feb 19, 2017 - 08:11 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thank you

MurdoMcLeod wrote:
Buy direct from Microchip and you get a voucher code on the order page: ...
fyi, today is the last day for the free shipping voucher code.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/microchipdirect-atmel-ice-sale-2017-feb#comment-2087201

MurdoMcLeod wrote:
... and you can buy via PayPal.
I have been hexed by PayPal; glad you haven't.

Where's the Bitcoin option?

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Sorry folks - didn't see it in marketplace.

Shame I didn't know about the shipping code - could have save £5-ish plus vat. Ahh well orders placed now and it's an okay price for a good tool so not bothered.

There are already a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, and the internet is nothing like Shakespeare!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

No problem.

 

I too missed out on the free shipping though am not perturbed by that.

Looks like some have been able to use the free shipping offer.

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I just ordered one and remembered the free shipping so my final cost was $86.00.  Paid for it with PayPal, should be here on Wednesday

 

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

My JTAGICE mkII is still working well (on Windows 7, that is).  Is there any reason to get this thing?

 

What I want for Christmas is an Atmel Studio that works on Windows 10.

Last Edited: Mon. Feb 20, 2017 - 12:53 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

steve17 wrote:
My JTAGICE mkII is still working well (on Windows 7, that is).
There's one clone and one function-like so should be able to restore your process after an Atmel JTAGICE2 expires.

steve17 wrote:
Is there any reason to get this thing?

  • AVR32 UC3A4 is faster than megaAVR
  • DGI (only USART or SPI) into the Data Visualizer Atmel Studio extension (UART is in mEDBG and EDBG)
  • SAM interface (ARM CMSIS-DAP)

steve17 wrote:
What I want for Christmas is an Atmel Studio that works on Windows 10.
Before that, how about a Windows 10 that works wink

It's not that bad but am uncertain about which version, then which update, of Windows 10.

 


http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/jtagicemkii/jtagicemkii.hardware_description.html

Atmel-ICE

Architecture Description

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/GUID-DDB0017E-84E3-4E77-AAE9-7AC4290E5E8B/index.html?GUID-9B532A87-65FB-47FB-9572-A406F9A71F46

Atmel Data Visualizer

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/GUID-F897CF19-8EAC-457A-BE11-86BDAC9B59CF/index.html

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I have AS 6_2 and AS7 working on Win10.... what problems are you having?

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

jgmdesign wrote:

I have AS 6_2 and AS7 working on Win10.... what problems are you having?

Jim

AS 6.2 doesn't see my JTAGICE mkII, when running Windows 10.  If you don't have that problem, please tell me the magic words to use, or do you have a magic wand?

 

AS 7.0.1188 can't handle folders in the project.  AS goes nuts.  Maybe there is an earlier AS 7 that works.  Note that earlier versions of AS allowed me to use folders.  Visual Studio has had something equivalent forever. 

 

In case you don't know what I mean by folders in the project, here's a picture.

 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

steve17 wrote:

 

What I want for Christmas is an Atmel Studio that works on Windows 10.

 

Which year?

 

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

valusoft wrote:

steve17 wrote:

 

What I want for Christmas is an Atmel Studio that works on Windows 10.

 

 

Which year?

 

Well, Santa Claus is probably busy, but maybe 2018 wouldn't be asking too much.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

gchapman wrote:

steve17 wrote:My JTAGICE mkII is still working well (on Windows 7, that is).

There's one clone and one function-like so should be able to restore your process after an Atmel JTAGICE2 expires.

Thanks for the reply.  I don't know what that sentence means though.

 

If I understand correctly, you did give me reasons to get the Atmel ICE for future use.  Right now I only use Xmega and PDI.  I may hold off on the Atmel ICE until I decide to try a newer chip.  Maybe by then they will be selling an Atmel ICE mkII.

 

I'm using Windows 10 pro, with all the updates.  1607 build 14393.  But I still have Windows 7 if needed.  You may have noticed there was no Patch Tuesday this month.  Looks like trouble in Redmond.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

steve17 wrote:
I don't know what that sentence means though.
Clone :

Waveshare Electronics

Shenzhen, China

AVR Programmers & Debuggers

USB AVR JTAGICE XPII

http://www.waveshare.com/product/mcu-tools/avr/programmers-debuggers/usb-avr-jtagice-xpii.htm

Function-like (JTAG, debugWIRE, PDI for XMEGA128A1) :

Kee Electronics

AVR JTAGICE mkII

http://keeelectronics.com/mkii.htm

Function-like (debugWIRE) :

Kee Electronics

AVR JTAGICE mkII Lite AVR32 Debugging

http://keeelectronics.com/KEE_mkII_Lite_v2.htm

Function-like via Mcuzone :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVR-xMEGA-AVR32-ISP-JTAG-PDI-emulator-ATxmega-dev-board-/262003537455?hash=item3d00a0b62f

steve17 wrote:
... with all the updates.
That may be the source of the problems because not all Windows 10 updates are immediately functional; usually are functional within 1 to 3 months.

Driver updates (Pro and sub) can be disabled in 1607 via Group Policy editor; driver update disable will be in a menu in 1703.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 for PC

By / Software Engineer, Windows and Devices Group

January 9, 2017

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15002-pc/#d4ARUeU0SXFc57Fc.97

...

 

Improving your update experience

...

  • We’ve added an option that will enable you to pause updates on your computer for up to 35 days. ...
  • We’ve added an option that will now allow you to decide whether or not to include driver updates when you update Windows. This capability will be available on Professional, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows.
  • We’ve added a new icon to the Windows Update Settings page to make easier to see your update status at a glance. ...
  • We’ve made some improvements to our logic to better detect if the PC’s display is actively being used for something, such as projecting, and avoid attempting to restart.
  • Windows Insiders with the Home edition of Windows will now also be able to leverage the increased 18 hour max window for Active Hours.

 

...

steve17 wrote:
You may have noticed there was no Patch Tuesday this month.  Looks like trouble in Redmond.
Possibly due to a zero day; could be all hands on deck.

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/another-windows-0day-appears-gdi32-dll-heap-boundary-error/

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

steve17 wrote:

jgmdesign wrote:

I have AS 6_2 and AS7 working on Win10.... what problems are you having?

Jim

AS 6.2 doesn't see my JTAGICE mkII, when running Windows 10.  If you don't have that problem, please tell me the magic words to use, or do you have a magic wand?

 

AS 7.0.1188 can't handle folders in the project.  AS goes nuts.  Maybe there is an earlier AS 7 that works.  Note that earlier versions of AS allowed me to use folders.  Visual Studio has had something equivalent forever. 

 

In case you don't know what I mean by folders in the project, here's a picture.

 

 

As I do not own a JTAGICE-MKII I have nothing to offer you on that other than to buy an Atmel-ICE as it covers all the parts the old JTAG-MKII does.

 

AS far as not being able to handle folders, what limited work I have done in AS7 I have not had any issues with adding a folder, and then putting files in the folder, but you are probably doing much higher level work than I am.  HAve you brought this up in the Studio Forum?  Morten follows things there very closely and is pretty good at responding with information.

 

steve17 wrote:

valusoft wrote:

steve17 wrote:

 

What I want for Christmas is an Atmel Studio that works on Windows 10.

 

 

Which year?

 

Well, Santa Claus is probably busy, but maybe 2018 wouldn't be asking too much.

 

If Studio sucks so bad then Go use someone else's IDE....Take the IAR free version for a spin and if it works for your needs then BUY the full version, or Kickstarter version.  You could also just move to the PIC platform and go with MPLAB maybe?  There is also Freescale, or whatever it's called these days and the CodeWarrior IDE that I hear is an absolute horror to use. 

 

AS6_2 has been working reliably here for a few years, and AS7 seems to be getting the groove finally.  Although I will say AS4.19 was, and still is my favorite hands down.  I fault Atmel for using M$oft Visual Studio as their platform for the problems Studio has over anything else as you are at M$ofts mercy and we all know how M$oft feels about making things easy....NOT!

 

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

jgmdesign wrote:

 

As I do not own a JTAGICE-MKII I have nothing to offer you on that other than to buy an Atmel-ICE as it covers all the parts the old JTAG-MKII does.

Are you implying the Atmel-ICE works with AS 6.2 on Windows 10?   That could be a reason to buy it.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I do not own a JTAGICE-MKII

I do but it is FIRMLY attached to AS4.18 and nothing else will come near it. cheeky

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

jgmdesign wrote:

AS far as not being able to handle folders, what limited work I have done in AS7 I have not had any issues with adding a folder, and then putting files in the folder, but you are probably doing much higher level work than I am.  HAve you brought this up in the Studio Forum?  Morten follows things there very closely and is pretty good at responding with information.

Maybe my problem is only with 7.0.1188. Maybe my problem is because I also add files by links, not by copying them.  I've always done it this way.  With Visual Studio that's the only way to add files.  I do copy and modify a couple of files.  The startup class where I construct various classes, sometimes with different arguments, and an options.h file.  The rest of the files are common to all projects.  Copying them would create a duplicate file mess.  I don't make them into an official library because I often enhance, improve or clean them up. 

 

I have mentioned the problems several times in the Studio Forum.  Nobody seems interested.

 

Here is a fairly small test project.  On the left is the project as best as I can get it.  Notice there are 2 project folders, one inside the other.  I could live with this.  However if I close the solution and re-open it, it morphs into the project on the right.  I can clean that up so it looks like the project on the left, but after I close and re-open it, it again looks like the one on the right.  Bigger projects are worse.  Apparently nobody at Atmel uses folders or maybe they don't use links.

 

 

 

 

 

Last Edited: Mon. Feb 20, 2017 - 08:29 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

js wrote:

 

 

I do not own a JTAGICE-MKII

 

I do but it is FIRMLY attached to AS4.18 and nothing else will come near it. cheeky

Mine is firmly attached to AS6.2.  This means using Windows 7 because AS6.2 on Windows 10 doesn't see it.   I won't upgrade until AS7 is fixed.  AS7 sees it, but what it does to my solutions explorer window is something only someone on LSD could appreciate.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

steve17 wrote:

jgmdesign wrote:

 

As I do not own a JTAGICE-MKII I have nothing to offer you on that other than to buy an Atmel-ICE as it covers all the parts the old JTAG-MKII does.

Are you implying the Atmel-ICE works with AS 6.2 on Windows 10?   That could be a reason to buy it.

 

Yup:

 

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

That surprises me.  I guess I will go for it.  As soon as I buy it, Atmel will fix AS7.  On the other hand, if I don't buy it, Atmel won't fix it in my lifetime.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

steve17 wrote:

jgmdesign wrote:

 

AS far as not being able to handle folders, what limited work I have done in AS7 I have not had any issues with adding a folder, and then putting files in the folder, but you are probably doing much higher level work than I am.  HAve you brought this up in the Studio Forum?  Morten follows things there very closely and is pretty good at responding with information.

Maybe my problem is only with 7.0.1188. Maybe my problem is because I also add files by links, not by copying them.  I've always done it this way.  With Visual Studio that's the only way to add files.  I do copy and modify a couple of files.  The startup class where I construct various classes, sometimes with different arguments, and an options.h file.  The rest of the files are common to all projects.  Copying them would create a duplicate file mess.  I don't make them into an official library because I often enhance, improve or clean them up. 

 

I have mentioned the problems several times in the Studio Forum.  Nobody seems interested.

 

Here is a fairly small test project.  On the left is the project as best as I can get it.  Notice there are 2 project folders, one inside the other.  I could live with this.  However if I close the solution and re-open it, it morphs into the project on the right.  I can clean that up so it looks like the project on the left, but after I close and re-open it, it again looks like the one on the right.  Bigger projects are worse.  Apparently nobody at Atmel uses folders or maybe they don't use links.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just to keep the derailment a bit, we are aware of this (case AVRSV-7745).

:: Morten

 

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

 

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

meolsen wrote:

Just to keep the derailment a bit, we are aware of this (case AVRSV-7745).

yes

What I tell ya Jim.   Bought the Atmel-ICE yesterday, got a case today.wink

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

steve17 wrote:
What I tell ya Jim. Bought the Atmel-ICE yesterday, got a case today.wink

Mine arrived as well.  I bought the 'pro' model with the adapter...dumb move as I have several of the adapters from the JTAG3's I have here which work much better.  Might  make up some PC boards of these and keep them as spares.

 

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

What happened to the golden ICE you got?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust. I figured best not to use it as its a signature model

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

I got mine today.  Overnight shipping.  It does indeed work with 6.2 on Win 10.  It uses winusb.

 

It's a lot smaller and lighter than the JTAGICE mkII.  The ribbon cable is only half as long too.  I guess that's okay.

 

I'll probably make an adaptor for it.  I have it squided today.  My spell checker doesn't like squided.  wink

Last Edited: Thu. Feb 23, 2017 - 02:13 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Just remember that if you use AS6.2 and then try to use it on AS7 it will upgrade and will no longer work with AS6.2 unless you downgrade it's firmware.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks for the report

steve17 wrote:
It uses winusb.
... via USB HID see https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/hear-ye-hear-ye-get-your-atmel-ice-50#comment-2094641

steve17 wrote:
I'll probably make an adaptor for it.
Some have already been created.

IIRC there are several threads on these or are within other threads; a very recent post within a thread :

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/avr-dragon-vs-avr-ice#comment-2092886

 


Atmel-ICE

Connecting to the Host Computer

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/GUID-DDB0017E-84E3-4E77-AAE9-7AC4290E5E8B/index.html?GUID-FB14C49A-04A9-49A9-ADFF-D322070EE580

The Atmel-ICE communicates primarily using a standard HID interface, and does not require a special driver on the host computer. To use the advanced Data Gateway functionality of the Atmel-ICE, be sure to install the USB driver on the host computer. This is done automatically when installing the front-end software provided free by Atmel. See www.atmel.com for further information or to download the latest front-end software.

...

Edit : strikethru

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Last Edited: Thu. Feb 23, 2017 - 03:59 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

js wrote:

Just remember that if you use AS6.2 and then try to use it on AS7 it will upgrade and will no longer work with AS6.2 unless you downgrade it's firmware.

And you must also change the driver as well(shift between the old one for 6_2 and the newer one for AS7)

 

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/d...

 

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

gchapman wrote:

 

steve17 wrote:

It uses winusb.

 

... via USB HID

 

I noticed that too.  USB is too weird.

 

I didn't install any drivers.  I just plugged it in.  I've had other Atmel stuff plugged in here, like their DFU bootloader. 

Last Edited: Thu. Feb 23, 2017 - 03:10 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

js wrote:

 

Just remember that if you use AS6.2 and then try to use it on AS7 it will upgrade and will no longer work with AS6.2 unless you downgrade it's firmware.

 

 

And you must also change the driver as well(shift between the old one for 6_2 and the newer one for AS7)

Oh come on! This is only an issue for tools that were made before I started at Atmel. There are NO drivers needed for the Atmel-ICE (the debugger part). It's HID. The firmware API has been stable since it was made as far as I know, so an Atmel-ICE firmware for 7 should also work on 6.

 

We changed the whole platform to avoid the Jungo issues altogether, but seems we're getting the cred from that madness nonetheless... Sigh

:: Morten

 

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

 

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Nice to know but I only have 7 and 4.18, so east coast Jim can check this out. laugh
 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

meolsen wrote:

There are NO drivers needed for the Atmel-ICE (the debugger part).

 

Can you clarify that, especially the bit in brackets. What other part is there?

#1 Hardware Problem? https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

#2 Hardware Problem? Read AVR042.

#3 All grounds are not created equal

#4 Have you proved your chip is running at xxMHz?

#5 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

 - DGI (for DataVisualizer) uses WinUSB. Only needed if DGI is used

 - COM Port (not for Atmel-ICE, but for EDBG, it's all the same platform just different configuration) uses usbser from windows (still needs a inf file, but driver is built in).

 

The debugger part is using CMSIS-DAP over HID, so a standard protocol specified by Keil/ARM over HID which all operating systems have supported natviely since... a long time ago... (Protocol is open)

:: Morten

 

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

 

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

meolsen wrote:
Oh come on! This is only an issue for tools that were made before I started at Atmel. There are NO drivers needed for the Atmel-ICE (the debugger part). It's HID. The firmware API has been stable since it was made as far as I know, so an Atmel-ICE firmware for 7 should also work on 6. We changed the whole platform to avoid the Jungo issues altogether, but seems we're getting the cred from that madness nonetheless... Sigh

 

Since WHEN?

 

I am still changing drivers for my STK600 when I bounce between AS6_2 and AS7.  I also have to change for the ICE.

 

I will perform an update of both IDE's at some point today and test this.

 

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

BTW Solution Explorer in MSVS (and by implication AS7) does not necessarily show the hierarchy of files on disk. I usually setup "filters" to group like minded files together even though they may be in wildly different places on the disk. So you can have the Solution view structured in pretty much anyway you choose. I'm sure it must be the same for AS7?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

... I didn't mention STK600.. that uses Jungo etc and needs switching. Same does jtagicemk2, isp2, dragon, avrone, qt600 (and probably more, yes jtagic3...).

:: Morten

 

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

 

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I will check the ICE later today.  Right now off to the metal fabricators in hopes of getting myself out of a problem

 

JIm

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

 

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

 

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

 

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

 

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:

BTW Solution Explorer in MSVS (and by implication AS7) does not necessarily show the hierarchy of files on disk. I usually setup "filters" to group like minded files together even though they may be in wildly different places on the disk. So you can have the Solution view structured in pretty much anyway you choose. I'm sure it must be the same for AS7?

No Cliff, AS7 is insanely buggy.  See the picture I posted above.  Earlier versions of AS worked effectively like VS.

 

Actually VS and AS are internally different here.  VS uses "filters" which I guess are pseudo folders implemented in the project file. AS uses real folders.  Actually 2 sets of folders.  One set is in Debug and contains the .o and .d files.  I think the other one is in the project file.  I believe they contain the source files, if the files are added by copying, which is the default for AS.  I use links and these folders are empty. 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

... I didn't mention STK600.. that uses Jungo etc and needs switching.

So the ONLY tool that doesn't use Jungo is the Atmel ICE, correct? Everything else is same old,same old. So that we know what we are talking about.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Atmel-ICE, Power Debugger, JTAGICE3 fw version 3, EDBG, mEDBG does not use Jungo...

:: Morten

 

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

 

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

Just a final comment...

Apply the following Coupon Code at the Checkout

ALLNEW17
(Expires: Mar, 19th 2017)

To get free postage on tools etc.

There are already a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, and the internet is nothing like Shakespeare!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thank you!

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 1

Got my atmel ice yesterday and everything seems fine. Sorry I missed the free postage offers but $50 off is not bad anyhows.
Microchip seem keen to boost the take up these days.

There are already a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards, and the internet is nothing like Shakespeare!