getting into avr

Go To Last Post
19 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hello,

So I want to get involved with AVRs and I was planning on getting the STK500 to get involved with them, but they are all out of stock.

Then I just decided to get a ISP programmer like the AVRISP, but everywhere I look, I can't find any of them in stock.

So my question is, is what is the easiest way to get involved with the AVRs, programming them and also developing different hardware ideas/devices/etc? Also, I would like to either keep this kinda of cheap or if it is a little bit more expensive to be able to use when I am more advanced with the AVRs. (I am so annoyed right now, bc the STK500 fits my needs perfectly, but I want to start learning this stuff over the summer while I have more time...)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

There are many bds ready to program in the $30 ... look in tools section... there are also very inexpensive programmers... $5

Imagecraft compiler user

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

www.dontronics.com
www.ineltek.com
both show the STK500 as available

Ralph Hilton

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

stangz989,

Are you aware of the newly announced and available AVR Dragon which is like a "mini STK500" for $50 but with the added advantage of also including a JTAG/debugwire debugger interface too??

The lack of STK500s, AVRISPs and Butterflys may actually be because Atmel were clearing the channels in anticipation of the launch of the Dragon

Cliff

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:

Are you aware of the newly announced and available AVR Dragon which is like a "mini STK500" for $50 but with the added advantage of also including a JTAG/debugwire debugger interface too??

I have been reading up on it, but i didnt think that this was available yet to buy. I did a quick look at digikey and arrow and didnt find them...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

If we knew what country you where in then perhaps other suggestions coud be made

Keep it simple it will not bite as hard

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

sutton wrote:
If we knew what country you where in then perhaps other suggestions coud be made

Ooops, yea, I should update my bio.... but I am in California, US.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I had the same problem and started with a 4 resitors programmer on a par. port connector what workede perfectly.( using pony-prog)
Naturaly i could program al controllers with ISP options and i am verry satisfied with it. But thad is maybe because i program in assembler. Sinds i have already some experiance with assembler is is easier for me. but i recomend to do the same thing. Learning assenbler is a verry powerful langwich and is not realy that difficult to learn, and has the property of being able to tackle almost anny mediun complex problems with a optimal execution time. I never had the need of using anny other debugging tool because a good working common-sens brain wil find te problem in reasonable time and so i use Pony-prog and wasm for all my projects and i am verry satisfied with it.

Murphy's law?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

ufodetector,

How do you detect UFO's???

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

While on the subject of getting into AVR development... does anyone know if there is a Knoppix-like live CD with all the free AVR tools on it (avr-gcc, programmers, etc.)
Thanks!

cm

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

circuitmangler wrote:
While on the subject of getting into AVR development... does anyone know if there is a Knoppix-like live CD with all the free AVR tools on it (avr-gcc, programmers, etc.)
Thanks!

cm


The closest I know of is the CD that Atmel sends with the STK500 and associated accessories. It doesnt have any tools on it, other then AVRStudio but, the last CD that I received has all of the most current datasheets and application notes on it.

There is an excellent list of tools, free or otherwise at:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

microcarl wrote:
circuitmangler wrote:
While on the subject of getting into AVR development... does anyone know if there is a Knoppix-like live CD with all the free AVR tools on it (avr-gcc, programmers, etc.)
Thanks!

cm


The closest I know of is the CD that Atmel sends with the STK500 and associated accessories. It doesnt have any tools on it, other then AVRStudio but, the last CD that I received has all of the most current datasheets and application notes on it.

There is an excellent list of tools, free or otherwise at:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Thanks for the info - I'll have a look at the list. I'm already familiar with WinAVR, but I have an old diskless PC that would be perfect to use at my electronics bench. That's why I'm looking for a Linux live-cd distro with all the AVR tools installed on it.

cheers,

cm

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

stangz989 wrote:
clawson wrote:

Are you aware of the newly announced and available AVR Dragon which is like a "mini STK500" for $50 but with the added advantage of also including a JTAG/debugwire debugger interface too??

I have been reading up on it, but i didnt think that this was available yet to buy. I did a quick look at digikey and arrow and didnt find them...


If they aren't listed at Digikey yet it must only be a matter of days. The Dragon I have had sitting on my desk since last Wednesday shows that they are not just "vapourware" but production really has started and mainstream availability can only be a matter of time

Cliff

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
I have been reading up on it, but i didnt think that this was available yet to buy. I did a quick look at digikey and arrow and didnt find them...

They are supposed to be in full production by the end of July. I'm surprised that Digikey doesn't at least have it in it's database yet.

Regards,
Steve A.

The Board helps those that help themselves.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

circuitmangler wrote:
While on the subject of getting into AVR development... does anyone know if there is a Knoppix-like live CD with all the free AVR tools on it (avr-gcc, programmers, etc.)
Thanks!

cm

you could try this website:
http://shop.tuxgraphics.org/elec...

I havn't used the products from this website, so you will have to rely on others for recommendations.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

@ microcarl: I am checking different fysical parameters like speed of light and sound , gravitational pul and radiation, aerth magnetic properties and sysmic activity

Murphy's law?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

ufodetector wrote:
@ microcarl: I am checking different fysical parameters like speed of light and sound , gravitational pul and radiation, aerth magnetic properties and sysmic activity

I did some experimentation on gravity back in the late 1970's. We actually had a club called Gravatronics. We built a test jig of a certian configuration that operated at 200MHz, to test the disturbance that we could impose on local gravational fields.

Don't ask! If I told you the results, mean men dressed in Black suites and driving Black SUV's, would come after both, you and me!

E-mail me with the word "Gravity Experiments" in the subject.

My prefered e-mail address is at the end of this post.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

make your own programmer. See my programmer
http://booksbybibin.14.forumer.c...
you can make it for 1$

use winAVR for C program.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

stangz989 wrote:
what is the easiest way to get involved with the AVRs, programming them and also developing different hardware ideas/devices/etc?

FREE VMLAB amctools.com

and demo compilator CodeVisionAVR codevision.be

then download http://avr123.nm.ru/z8/z8pwm_2.rar

start VMLAB and your ATmega16 will work !

http://avr123.nm.ru/vmlab.png