20% off Saleae products [L/A discussion/recommends]

Hi Everyone,

I've been waiting for a 20% off code to order a logic analyzer from them and found one yesterday. As soon as I bought it they sent me a code I can give to others so others can get a 20% off as well and I can get a $20 coupon to sparkfun, so if anyone is looking for a Saleae product, here we go:

I ordered a Logic16, can't wait to check it out.

Thanks,

Alan

I have a logic8 and I cannot believe I waited so long to get it. Fantastic product.

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

looks like a nice product. I have a ikalogic 4 channel and have to admit I hardly use it (also have a 4channel scope and that gives me a bit more flexibility)

reading this worries me a bit:

Quote:
Logic16 can sample 2 channels 100MHz, 4 channels at 50MHz, 8 channels at 25MHz or all 16 channels at 12.5MHz and can record up to 10 billion samples.

this suggests that channels are sampled separately, it might be that there is a big time difference between channel 1 and 16 if all channels need to be sampled

I am also very worried about their support:

Quote:
As with any other question or issue, just drop us an email, and we’ll take care of you.

but in all this thing does not look to bad....

I just got a LabTool from Embedded Artists and am very happy with it. The best part about it, is the open source software.

I actually got two of them but for reasons other than having a LA/Scope.

zaNik
AmmaN

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think" - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

"It's much more practical to rely on the processing powers of the real debugger, i.e. the one between the keyboard and chair." - JW wek3

"When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -  Marcus Aurelius

jgmdesign wrote:
Me too! Amazing product and great software. Highly recommended!

Don

What Don said. +1

Chuck Baird

"I wish I were dumber so I could be more certain about my opinions. It looks fun." -- Scott Adams

I've been reading about making your own analyzers for it, it is very cool.

My Logic16 arrives Monday! I'm really looking forward to it.

Are you going to hand out cigars to celebrate the new arrival? ;)

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

larryvc wrote:
The best part about it, is the open source software.
But very much closed hardware. Any change you can download schematics for the board?

NOTE: I no longer actively read this forum. Please ask your question on www.eevblog.com/forum if you want my answer.

alexru wrote:
larryvc wrote:
The best part about it, is the open source software.
Yes, I have them, once you buy and register it the schematics are available in your account. I am using them to do ARM M4 and M0+ projects. And I also use them as LA/Scope as well. The specs are about the same as the Saleae and you get two scope inputs. I have new probes on order.

I do believe that the Saleae software is much more capable at this time. I am sure that the LabTool software will become better as the product matures.

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

I've been using a Logic for a few years, they are great and the support is fantastic.

But that LabTool looks interesting, is there any way to view a demo trace so I can get a better feel for the software?

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
Rob Gray, old fart, nature photographer, embedded hardware/software designer, and serial motorhome builder, www.robgray.com

jgmdesign wrote:
Are you going to hand out cigars to celebrate the new arrival? ;)

Not far from it - I am a total test equipment geek! :lol: :lol:

Graynomad wrote:

If you have the Logic then I would suggest you keep using that. The software is much more refined and currently has more signal decoding. I have not tried the Scope feature of the LabTool yet as I have lost or misplaced the probes that I had.

I suggest that you contact Embedded Artists directly to inquire about a demo trace.

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

meslomp wrote:
reading this worries me a bit:
Quote:

this suggests that channels are sampled separately,

The channels may be sampled in the same time. Results are send in real time to computer and limits in transmission speed may be a reason of differences in maximum sampling frequency for different number of channels.

Alan, I was trying to purchase a Logic16 online, entered the discount code, but the order final review is not showing a discount. Was this coupon good for only one use and someone else already used it? I will contact Saleae directly tomorrow.

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

Hi Larry,

It should, it did for me. Did you use this code:

C0N19HR2

There is a checkbox that says "I have a promotional code" you need to click on and then paste it in and hit enter.

If you click the link above it shows this code.

I just tried it and it said 20% referral discount so I'll bet it will work. Let me know if you have trouble with it and I'll try to help.

Thanks,

Alan

meslomp wrote:

I found this page on it (not sure what sigrok is), but they have a lot of detail and some reversing...

I think the lesser channels/higher rate is all about the USB speed limit to do data in real time. I am assuming that they grab all the signals at the same time with the fpga... You can capture very long data runs because of this.

meslomp wrote:
I am also very worried about their support:

I've been very pleased with their responsiveness so far, a multipage response from them. I can't say the same for another logic analyzer company I was looking at.

Thanks,

Alan

alank2 wrote:
Hi Larry,

It should, it did for me. Did you use this code:

C0N19HR2

Yes, I did exactly what you said. The caveat here is that I tabbed after entering the code, which should have updated the page but didn't. I tried it this time by using Enter after pasting in the code and it worked.

Before I pull the trigger, does anyone here have any experience with USBEE products? They are quite a bit more expensive than either the Logic16 or the LabTool. Are they worth the extra money spent though? I have had my eye on the USBee QX Suite and if it is worth the money I may just go for that as an early birthday present from and to me. :)

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

Hi larryvc,

Download the USBee software and try it out. That is one of the things I did when evaluating different ones...

Glad you got the code figured out.

Good luck and I hope you get something you love!

Alan

Quote:
does anyone here have any experience with USBEE products?

Their customer support appears to be 180 degrees from Saleae's. I emailed them 3 times asking for clarification about the packet presenter, with the second and third emails I CC'd another company address as well.

I got NO response at all, and I was looking to buy the QX, that's about $2500 of kit and they can't even bother replying before I spend the money, God knows what they would be like after.

It's a shame because they really do seem to have the best gadgets of that type.

______
Rob

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Alan, I hope you don't mind but I'm guessing that everyone who wanted to see this offer has now seen it and this thread has generated such an interesting sequence of replies that I'm going to move this to General Electronics so it will be kept for posterity and the consideration of future purchasers of L/A's. In GE it will not deleted (as happens in Trading Post).

Cliff

Graynomad wrote:
...I emailed them 3 times asking for clarification about the packet presenter, with the second and third emails I CC'd another company address as well...I got NO response at all
Thanks for letting me know. That might be all I need to make a decision.

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

Yeah, I don't know what their problem is. It's a shame because they have really good software and the hardware looks great as well. I would love to have a mixed signal device and there are some around but they all have problems IMO. (Acute have some nice gear as well)

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Absolutely Cliff, good move!

Hi Guys,

My Logic16 arrived yesterday and I've been having a good time playing with it. Seems very nice so far and the quality is up to my picky standards!

One thing I wondered about was the hooks and I am not displeased - their website says micro hook but didn't mention the brand exactly, but they appear to be XKM E-Z-Hook's like I'd get from Digikey from what I can tell.

Another nice thing is that I haven't had any crosstalk problems so far either. I like that they went with individual wires in their wiring harness instead of ribbon for this reason.

My only mistake was not ordering a few extra accessories at the discount at the same time, the discount only applies if you are have an analyzer in the order.

Good luck,

Alan

alank2 wrote:
Still haven't made a decision yet. In case I do go for the Logic16, what accessories would you suggest?

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

larryvc wrote:
alank2 wrote:

It comes with everything you need, but I'm a have some spares kind of guy.

I would order some of the wire ended harnesses because it says they are tinned and I wonder if I could just press them into a breadboard, but for $6 they are cheap enough.

I'd also order an extra harness and more clips, but it isn't necessary as it comes with two harnesses and 18 clips already.

Good luck!

Alan

Quote:

True, but if you are working on more than one project it can be useful to leave all the clips in place and just swap the analyser to another set. I only have a Logic 8 now but like Larry am looking at something better/bigger, whatever I buy I will be getting 2-3 harnesses I think.

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Good point Graynomad.

I've been messing around with the Logic16 some more, did some SPI analysis, UART analysis, and even some HD44780 analysis with a 3rd party analyzer someone wrote.

One cool thing is that if your system is up to it, you can actually do more than their specification says. 2 channels at 100 MHz can become 3 channels at 100 MHz if your USB is up to it. My desktop is, but my notebook is not. 6 channels instead of 4 at 50 MHz.

Quote:
2 channels at 100 MHz can become 3 channels at 100 MHz if your USB is up to it... 6 channels instead of 4 at 50 MHz.

Interesting.

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

I ordered a ~$10 logic analyzer from China, which turned out to be a Saleae clone. After I figured out who Saleae was and how much their analyzers sell for, I emailed them to let them know about the seller from China.
They thanked me and offered to help with any questions or suggestions I might have about their software!
I replied saying, since you asked, I said it would be nice if the software had protocol analysis for USB (I'm re-writing the guts of v-usb to work at 8Mhz in about half the code). A couple days later I got an email back with a link to download a beta version of the software with USB protocol analysis support.

So great hardware, software, and support. Given the cost though, I would likely never buy their stuff. A parallel port can work as a poor-man's 8-channel logic capture device up to ~2 million samples/sec.

I have no special talents.  I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein

Hi ralphd,

Like you I am cost conscious and I will tell you that originally I did not look at the Logic16 because of the $299 price point. I look for the most value and capability for the least $ amount. It also means a great deal to me how companies treat their customers, so much so that it really affects my decision making in purchases.

I was looking at the Intronix LogicPort, but by time you add what you need (clips that don't come with it) it is $455.50. I liked some of the features in the software such as a repeat/run mode like a scope in a running state, but their buffer of only 2K was a huge drawback. I probably would have bit the bullet and ordered one however if it wasn't for their attitude. I was insulted when they told me I had no idea how a logic analyzer works and I was also insulted when they basically told me that they didn't want me as a customer. Basically they looked at someone asking questions as a negative instead of a positive.

I can say now that after getting the Logic16 and playing with it, I would have been pleased with the purchase even at $299, but for $239 I am thrilled. I also think the regular logic for $119 is a good deal even if it is more basic.

What really sticks out is that you told them you bought a product that is a clone of theirs and they did not hold this against you! On top of that they helped you out when they did not have to. This is the type of company I want to support.

BTW, they told me they are working on the run all the time feature in their software as well.

Quote:

Purchased Intronix LogicPort some time ago and had the same impression of support and sales service. There seems to be many users who offered suggestions as to how to improve the software (it is usable out of the box) but their answer seemed to be "if you don't like it don't buy it"! Asked them if they planned on improvements in hardware and/or software in the future and the answer was a definite "NO" ! They do have one fundamental difference in hardware vs the original Saleae unit (not sure about the latest version with an fpga in it). The Logicport can tigger on "Transitions", which anyone who has used professional HP or other logic analyzers in the past knows this as well as other advantages can save some memory requirements especially for slowly changing signals. The low cost Saleae and others just dump as much as they can sample as fast as they can to the pc and use it's memory. As long as you are aware of the Saleae and others limitations they are an invaluable tool and their software keeps getting better. Currently have several Saleae units and would also recommend purchasing multiple clip lead sets, just leave them attached to various projects in the lab so they are easy to reconnect.

A cheaper, but more primitive LA is the openbench logic sniffer:

$50 plus probes. 16 channels, at a claimed 200MHz. 12k sample depth with 16 channels. There's run length encoding of the data. Multi stage (up to 4 stages) trigger.

The frontend only has a fixed logic threshold, so it's good for 5V and 3.3V logic, but you'd start to run into signal integrity issues below that.

The display software is open source.

- S

mnehpets I've got one for sale in the trading area here at freaks. The software isn't as polished as the saleae and I would have a protocol analyzer crash on me from time to time. I just never warmed up to it.

alank2 wrote:

When I bought the Saleae clone, I had no idea who Saleae was or what their products typically sold for. As far as I knew, I was just buying a cheap 8-port logic analyzer.

I have no special talents.  I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein

I hear you ralphd, it happens. I like their attitude towards you which was cool - most companies would have been nasty about it.

I had my Logic8 fail for no obvious reason. I can't remember how long after I bought it but I'm pretty sure it was well out of any warrantee period. Could easily have been a couple of years since purchase.

After 1-2 emails to try and diagnose the problem Saleae just sent me a new one, no 3rd degree or anything, just "What's your address?".

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Rob,

I also have the genuine Logic8. Was the first unit I bought for myself. Then I bought one of Ikalogic's units as much out of curiosity as anything (yeah I had too much money then). I also have a knockoff clone of the Logic8... also curiosity.

When I had a problem with Ibrahim's unit, he also said "What's your address?". The replacement unit works nicely too.

I also like leaving LAs attached to current projects; call me "Lazy". :lol:

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Graynomad wrote:

I had exactly the same experience. Saleae have very good support. They have excellent software.

Their hardware is simple. The hardware design comes from Cypress dev kit. Hence the Chinese clones for $9 and apart from the Saleae case the electronics will cost about the same.

David.

I got the logic8 recently; there's a reason people recommend them, it's because they're quite well polished. The only gripe I have is that the ground pin is gray rather than black on the supplied harness, with black being a regular channel.

For $99 you support a great product, but also get a nice custom carrying case, the machined metal enclosure and all the required accessories. No regrets.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Quote:

+1. This is a minor, but the only, annoyance I have with mine.

Chuck Baird

If you got one for $99 that is great Dean, the 20% off coupon I posted earlier in this thread drops the logic from 149->119 and the logic16 from 299->239.

I hooked up the logic16 to my ring clock constructed of 12 tlc5940's and had some fun watching all the signals last night. If I can find some place to host the 8mb file I'll post it up if anyone wants to see what some signals to tlc5940's look like.

zbaird wrote:
Quote:

+1. This is a minor, but the only, annoyance I have with mine.
Has anyone mentioned this to the folks at Saleae? Is it possible to move the wires in the harness and re-label them?

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

larryvc wrote:
Is it possible to move the wires in the harness and re-label them?

Their software is tied to this color order so I'm sure that is why they aren't changing it now. Probably a mistake made originally that for backward compatibility they don't want to fix. The ground wire does at least have a nice "ground" label on it.

alank2 wrote:
Their software is tied to this color order...
Well if it's any consolation for you guys the LabTool has a 26 wire harness with several duplicate wire colors and no labels on the wire ends. I will be using my rapidograph* to label them.

One thing I did not mention about the LabTool is that you can program the onboard NXP LPC812 to give output signals on 12 pins that are separate from the harness. Good for providing stimuli to the device under test. There are 8 additional pins brought out from the LPC812 but you will need to solder a row of pins onto the bottom side of the LabTool to access them. A demo program is provided with the LabTool that highlights the usefulness of this feature.

* Alan, I forgot all about these and should have mentioned them in your other thread. See Koh-I-Nor

"void transmigratus(void) {transmigratus();} // recursio infinitus" - larryvc

I just got an email from Saleae, new products and software to be released soon. It's been promised for quite some time so will be interesting to see if there are any nice toys.

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

zbaird wrote:
Quote:

+1. This is a minor, but the only, annoyance I have with mine.

you can always use a black test clip on the grey ground lead and then another color for all the other leads...similar to this high quality test clip
ebay item 321207656198
or the cheap "Chinamart" clips

until this thread did not know that "Chinamart" had knocked off the Saleae Probe...they even use the name!
ebay item 371018688232
as that listing shows no shortage of buyers either who will buy the knockoff...which without the effort and development cost Saleae incurred in the software the "Chinamart" knockoff is worthless!

Yes, Saleae put development time and effort into their software.

The hardware is only a direct copy of a Cypress devkit example.
So you can't criticise anyone that makes a public design.

Mind you, they should NOT call it Saleae !

David.

The salae logic is a great product. Especially if you're doing i2c, spi , async or stuff like infrared and rf protocols. Since i have a propensity for blowing things up, i purchased some cheapy knockoffs to zap rather than damage the actual Salae unit. My first cheapy was the devel board knockoff - the chip in that got a nice Chernobyl type glow when i put 12V to the inputs. Next i got some boxed units for $8 usd ea. i got four just in case! I havent killed any of these yet.

I recommend buying the real thing as Mr Salae has made a nice product that has good software and works well. He deserves to make a reasonable profit.

I agree 100%.

OTOH,

Quote:

Yes, the $8 hardware works ok too. There is a certain amount of cross-talk on unused input lines. But connected lines work fine.

I would not recommend applying 12V to my genuine Saleae or my Chinese clone. I would guess that they will both die!

David.

I know people who have two, a genuine and a clone. Unknown hardware (reverse engineering, testing) gets the disposable clone, while their own boards get the genuine article.

- Dean :twisted:

I think that's a reasonable option, I'm waiting to see what they release, whatever it is I'll probably get one to compliment my Logic8 but a few "sacrificial" $8 clones wouldn't do any harm as well.

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Rob,

Reading between the lines in their survey, I am suspecting something along the lines of an oscilloscope... but I am probably way off base.

And yes I have an original and a "sacrificial" $8 clone.

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Kartman wrote:
ScanaPLUS (IKALOGIC) can tolerate 35V.

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Quote:
I am suspecting something along the lines of an oscilloscope

Me to, I hope so but OTOH USB scopes are usually a bit light weight. I clicked 100MHz bandwidth but they had no option for sampling rate, I hope they don't think they are the same :)

One of the things I really like about the USBee is they have LA and scope in one, but really I should just buy a Rigol and use it's trigger output.

Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.