AVR910 question.

Hi, I'm maybe looking to build myself a serial port programmer based on AVR910, as I'm now using CPLDs in my designs, and I dont wan't to keep swapping paralell cables......

However at the moment I have a few spare mega 8 devices, would I be correct in thinking I can adapt the circuit to this device, and then re-assemble the firmware for the mega 8 target ? I know it seems overkill, but I have the mega 8's going spare at the moment :)

Secondly someone mentioned version 3.1 of the firmware being available in the academy, I did a search but could only find 2.2, any pointers ?

Cheers.

Phill.

Keep in mind that AVR910 is a stupid request-response protocol where
the datarate will suck big rocks when you ever try running it over a
network-style protocol like USB.

Why not use STK500 protocol instead? There's an opensource
implementation for an ATmega8 already which can be found under

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.

Take a look at USBISP at http://www.matwei.de
I think he uses a MEGA8 as well.

Also you can get schematics and stuff.

Had you looked closer, you'd notice my link was *exactly* USBISP. ;-)
(www.matwei.de diverts to that other site.)

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.

prime wrote:

A search of the User Projects area for "avr910" uncovered version 3.1 as the first hit.

Lee

theusch wrote:
prime wrote:

Lee

Doh!

I only searched using the search from the main page which does not search the adademy :(

Thanks.

Phill.

dl8dtl wrote:
Keep in mind that AVR910 is a stupid request-response protocol where
the datarate will suck big rocks when you ever try running it over a
network-style protocol like USB.

Why not use STK500 protocol instead? There's an opensource
implementation for an ATmega8 already which can be found under

I may well build one of those if I can source the USB chips, that would probably be the way to go.

I have however managed to get the AVR910 going in one of my mega 8s seems to work as much as I have tested it (just on breadboard) so I may well go ahead and build one on a spare bit of board, hey hey I always thought my offcuts would come in usefull for something.

Does any of the other programming software (apart from AVR studio) support the 910 programmer, I tend to use the software that was supplied with my STK300 but that only supports paralell programmers :(

As an aside, the PC I just repaired has an AT90S1200 on it's motherboard, they get everywhere :)

Cheers for the sugestions people.

Phill.

prime wrote:

I find it fastest to do what you did--do the Find: on this page. Then, when you get the results, scroll to the bottom--there will be two links to repeat the search in the projects area and in the forums.

Lee

dl8dtl wrote:
Keep in mind that AVR910 is a stupid request-response protocol where
the datarate will suck big rocks when you ever try running it over a
network-style protocol like USB.

Why not use STK500 protocol instead? There's an opensource
implementation for an ATmega8 already which can be found under

Any idea why he won't post a board for it? Seems like that would be a nice thing to have available. I surely wouldn't mind a USB AVRISP, being that I only have one serial port on my laptop so I'm constantly switching between my AVRISP and the serial interface to the AVR.

nleahcim wrote:
dl8dtl wrote:
Keep in mind that AVR910 is a stupid request-response protocol where
the datarate will suck big rocks when you ever try running it over a
network-style protocol like USB.

Why not use STK500 protocol instead? There's an opensource
implementation for an ATmega8 already which can be found under

Perhaps he doesn't want to make it easy for people to exploit it comercially ?
Then again perhaps he is just being bloody minded :) :)

He does however provide the schematic, so there's nothing to stop you copying it into Eagle (or whatever PCB CAD package you use), and making your own board. This is what I plan to do IF I can find somewhere preferably in europe that I can get the USB chips for a reasonable price.

Phill.

Hi ALL

Matthias (the developer of USBisp) sells these boards for a verry reasonable price and maybe he still has some of these FTDI USB chips.

I built the USBisp, with a board from him and it works perfect.

Cheers
Rubi

Hi

I am not bloddy-minded.
The main point is that this PCB is used in a commercial project (with totally different programm) and I am simply not allowed to release the brd-file to the public. The PCB's I sold where from the first prototyp run.

I have done another layout (which I maybe release after the first run). Because I will do this run on my own I will release the brd-file after selling all the PCB's from this run. If someone is intrested: One PCB will be around 5€ excl. shipment. I have attached a virtual image.

Matthias

Matthias W. wrote:
Hi

I am not bloddy-minded.

It was only menat in a humorous manner, if you took it otherwise my apologies :)

Quote:

I thought this may be the case...I'm in a similar situation with code I write for my employer (thogh not AVR code).

Quote:

Matthias

That seems like a reasonable price :)

Phill.

I posted version 3.2 of the AVR910 programmer a few days ago on the Studio 4 forum. It includes the latest chips supported by v1.40 of avrprog released with studio 4.11. Also the same thread has a M8 version already converted for you...how's that for service! :D

John Samperi