Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nathanhastings
PostPosted: Mar 06, 2009 - 05:19 AM

Hi

I'm running Windows 7 Beta 64-bit.
I've downloaded AVR Studio 4.16 and installed it. I have no luck getting my AVR Dragon to work though. At first it says "An service installation section in this INF is invalid".

I then forced the device manager to use the windrvr6.sys file located in the usb64 folder of AVR Studio. The device is then installed properly and both the green and red LEDs on the Dragon are lit.

Unfortunately, AVR studio simply says "Connection Failed" whenever I try to use the Dragon. Do you need to have a target connected before you can get a connection to the Dragon? I also tried doing a firmware upgrade from the Tools menu, but it also fails to communicate with the programer.

Is there something I can do? Will I have better luck with a AVRISP mkII?

Update:

When installing the windrvr6.sys driver, the name of the device changed to "Windriver". AVR Studio still could not connect to the programmer.
I then uninstalled the Windriver device and driver, and it was re-detected as an "AVR Dragon" and the driver installed fine. I read that someone had luck after copying the windrvr6.sys file to System32\Drivers, which appears to fix the INF error above.

Still no luck in getting AVR Studio to work with the programmer though. See the attached screenshot of the device manager.

Reply with quote Back to top
dak664
PostPosted: Mar 06, 2009 - 02:59 PM
Posting Freak

I did similar experimentation with Win7B/64 and never got AVRStudio to detect the Dragon or JTAGICE mkII. I think the .inf problem has to do with the directory destination for windrvr6.sys, and that the manual placement is a valid workaround. I also tried the latest download from Jungo. It appears the driver renames itself to whatever device is connected.

nathanhastings
PostPosted: Mar 06, 2009 - 10:16 PM

Did you ever manage to get it working with AVR Studio though?

nathanhastings
PostPosted: Mar 06, 2009 - 11:06 PM

Update: I just installed Windows 7 32-bit on another partition and it works flawlessy with the AVR Dragon, which leads me to think that the issue is not specifically with Windows 7 but with 64-bit. Which leads me to the question:

Has anyone ever managed to get the AVR Dragon working with AVR Studio on Vista 64-bit?

jrlcpb
PostPosted: May 07, 2009 - 01:17 AM

I'm not sure about the AVR Dragon, but I was able to run the AVRISP mkII in Vista 64 no problem. I did have the same issue as you with the AVRISP mkII in Windows 7 64-bit, but believe there is a workaround.

You can install AVR Studio and whatever programmer you are using in the "Virtual XP" mode for Windows 7. It's basically just running a Windows XP virtual machine. The files you need to run are free and available on Microsoft's website. I have been able to connect and program this way without any problems.

Hope this helps.

Joe

zifnab
PostPosted: May 07, 2009 - 09:31 AM
Rookie

I just had the "An service installation section in this INF is invalid" error on 32 bit Windows 7. I copied the windrv6.sys file to /windows/system32/drivers and it let me install the driver, but AVR studio won't recognise it.

zifnab
PostPosted: May 07, 2009 - 10:29 AM
Rookie

I got it working, I had to uninstall Avr Studio and reinstall.

shenlian
PostPosted: Jun 03, 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have got it working under Windows7 64-Bit RC 7100.
Just install the XP mode of win7, and again intall the avr studio under the XP mode.

hdood
PostPosted: Jul 09, 2009 - 04:30 PM

Has anyone managed to get it to work in Windows 7, or heard anything from Atmel about Win 7 support?

madwizard
PostPosted: Aug 27, 2009 - 05:28 PM
Wannabe

I asked support about this issue, they said there are plans to support this OS but no schedule yet.

clawson
PostPosted: Aug 27, 2009 - 05:38 PM
10k+ Postman

But Windows 7 isn't released until October 22nd. You can hardly expect Atmel to support an OS that doesn't officially exist yet can you?

madwizard
PostPosted: Aug 27, 2009 - 06:03 PM
Wannabe

Of course, but I thought it would be useful to know if they are at least planning to support this OS or not.

I suspect they will just have to wait for Win7 support of Jungo's windriver, which doesn't seem to work yet. Drivers aren't that different in Vista and Windows 7 (if there are any differences at all) so it's probably a small issue.

hlavac
PostPosted: Aug 27, 2009 - 08:09 PM
Rookie

I got Dragon and Vista 64bit and it seems to work OK.

Waiting for official release of W7 is foolish - it means you will not have a working driver for as long as it takes to develop one.

Thats why Betas and RC's are for - so that you can be ready when RTM comes out. Some people just don't get it - or simply don't care...

dak664
PostPosted: Aug 27, 2009 - 08:15 PM
Posting Freak

You must have missed the post:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=82994

Worked for my Dragon with Win7 X64

bsuhel
PostPosted: Nov 14, 2009 - 10:33 PM
Rookie

http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

work on windows 7 64 verified by me:)

amjl
PostPosted: Nov 15, 2009 - 08:58 AM
Wannabe

I have a small issue with the RZUSBSTICK (The Raven USB stick). The USB drivers for installing this don't seem to work. Has anyone else had an issue with this, or found a way to make these connect properly? When they show up in the device list, I am unable to point them at the driver .inf to install them, as it doens't like the file. I'm pretty sure it worked on the 32bit OS, so again an issue with 64bit OS (surely not?!? ha)

dak664
PostPosted: Nov 15, 2009 - 01:53 PM
Posting Freak

I don't know what is the 64 bit status of the current RZUSBSTICK distribution, but here are some .inf files that load microsoft's RNDIS and CDC drivers for the stick:
http://contiki.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/contiki/contiki-2.x/cpu/avr/dev/usb/INF/

amjl
PostPosted: Nov 16, 2009 - 08:11 AM
Wannabe

Thanks for your reply Dak, I will give these a go next weekend.

Ale_BKK
PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 - 09:54 AM
Hangaround

bsuhel wrote:
http://www.atmel.no/beta_ware/

work on windows 7 64 verified by me:)

I just tried installing AVR Studio on my workstation running Windows 7* 64b and it's no go, it crashes on installation (I'm trying to install aStudio4b589.exe)

Which one of the files in that page should I use? I see a couple service packs, but if the thing just doesn't install at all I don't see how that would help.

* This problem is reason #56.472 why Windows 7 sucks so much it must emit Hawking Radiation.

meslomp
PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 - 10:04 AM
Raving lunatic

Strange.

I installed the studio a couple of weeka ago on my windows 7 64bit system without anyproblems. I first installed the studio 4.18 and then both the service packs.

I do not know howlong the installation took however as I started it and then left the pc for a while.

regards

ps it was a clean install, so no previous versions of avr studio had been installed on the machine.

Jump to: