Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
typo
PostPosted: May 15, 2008 - 11:19 AM

Can anyone advise me on simple methods wiring a ATmega8 to drive a low cost commercial Microstepping Driver.

I'm a total novice here but I've had some very modest success with a first project using salvaged unipolar motors and a ULN2003s, but when it came to bipolar motors I got intimidated over H-briges and Allegro/Sanken circuits and bought a very cheap microstepping driver. (with limited documentation attached)

It uses pulse and direction via a 5V opto coupling. Am I right in thinking that I could simply connect the lines to the chip and toggle ports to sink the lines? (330 Ohm resistors are shown series)If so would I need do something about noise suppression? (3microsecond pulse sensitivity)However, if I use PWM I'm guessing I would need some kind of transistor interface or another Darlington array. I don't think the voltage would work for the ULN2003. Is there a suitable alternative or a better way of doing this?

Since I need to move up from batteries to a 30v Bench power supply (for 12v motors) the smoke risk has increaded dramatically. If only for the sake of my dining room table, could someone advise me here.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply with quote Back to top
UNiXWHoRe
PostPosted: May 15, 2008 - 03:49 PM
Posting Freak

Quote:

If only for the sake of my dining room table, could someone advise me here.

Get a bench... Wink

typo
PostPosted: May 15, 2008 - 04:35 PM

The sad thing is I have the bench, and a serviceable shed/workshop, I just can't get in it for the 10 years worth of accumulated clutter my wife's keeping for "when our son leaves home". ... but that's for a different forum.

Dave

bobgardner
PostPosted: May 15, 2008 - 06:10 PM
10k+ Postman

When you turn it on the first time, make sure the current limit is down in the 100ma level instead of the 3A level. Welcome to AVRfreaks.

typo
PostPosted: May 15, 2008 - 08:52 PM

In the deep end! I've tried just toggling a port ... and it seems to work. At least no pyrotechnics yet!

Is it really all I need to do? Surely I risk damaging the chip, particularly if I drive multiple motors? Sorry to be so dumb.

Dave

JohanEkdahl
PostPosted: May 15, 2008 - 09:59 PM
10k+ Postman

typo!

Where did you buy those MSD415's? What did you pay?

typo
PostPosted: May 15, 2008 - 10:16 PM

JohanEkdahl,

I got them from these guys:
http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/
@ 21.50 + tax

I've seen them with other labels on other UK sites at a similar price. Not looked internationally.

Dave

Jump to: