Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harris79gr
PostPosted: Apr 03, 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hello everyone. Im in emergency cause im experience problems with my stk 500 board. Im trying to connect it with my pc but no luck. I read the instructions for the AT90S8515 but except the first blinking(led red ,orange green) nothing else happens. I tried to connect it with my pc (RS232) but always said connection failed . I have installed the latest version of avr studio. Does anyone have a schema of how the connection should be it would be very helpfull. Also for the ATmega16 something is going wrong. (oh yes im noob in microcontrollers and im sorry for sparing your time)Thanks. Embarassed Embarassed

Reply with quote Back to top
Ifryd
PostPosted: Apr 03, 2008 - 10:35 PM
Hangaround

Hi

It is really hard to help you because you haven`t said about details.

The most possible cause of your problems probbably lies somwhere in a code. But as well it can be everything. Have you connected your RS232 wire to rs232 spare socket ? Wink

Check out great tutorials about USART communication on this forum.
I belive they will help you a lot.

Apart from this dig here on forum. Subject was mentioned tones of time.

and don`t give up...

Adam

harris79gr
PostPosted: Apr 04, 2008 - 05:19 PM

well the instructions said to connect it to the RS232 CTRL and not the spare although i tried them both. I just needed the schema to be completely sure that i made the right connections 1st for programming the ATS908515(ISP method) and 2nd for the ATmega16(ISP method again). I'll try this night again and then i 'll post a schema to tell me what im doing wrong

Ifryd
PostPosted: Apr 05, 2008 - 12:50 AM
Hangaround

So post here your schema !
But searching this forum and other materials should help you. Don`t forget about this..

RS232 spare - for PC communication
RS232 control - for programming

Adam

microcarl
PostPosted: Apr 05, 2008 - 01:09 AM
Raving lunatic

First, the STK500 should have come with the proper RS232 serial cable to connect between the PC and the STK500.

Second, the cable coming from the PC needs to connect to the RS232 CTRL DB9 connector.

Third, the ISP programming frequency needs to be less then 1/4 (25%) of that, of the controllers operating frequency to which you are trying to make contact with.

Fourth, make sure that you have a power supply that is supplying adequate voltage (9VDC to 12 VDC) and current - about 300mA is good.

Fifth, once a communications between the PC and the STK500 is established, make sure that Vtarget is set to the controller operating voltage that you need to operate.

Sixth, set the ISP programming frequency to something less then 250KHz. Then, attempt reading the controller signature until you get a consistent controller ID signature. Once you can read the controller ID signature, you should be able to read the fuses and program them, as well as the controller FLASH.

But until you can connect to the STK500 hardware, IE, read the STK500 Vtarget and controller ID signature, you won't be able to progress any further.

"There are only two ways to sleep well at night... be ignorant or be prepared."

The original Dragon Slayer !

Long live the AVR!!!

Phamlamth
PostPosted: Apr 05, 2008 - 03:28 AM
Wannabe

Hmm, OP said that the "connection fail". The AVR Studio said so when he tried to connect with STK? Hmm, not that cause if there are smth with the connection, AVR will not display the menu for reading signature or smth. And it'll not display the mess "fail".

I guess, that he was on the menu of programing with STK and, when press to program, the AVR said "connection fail" and "leaving programming mode". So, the signature maybe not read like Carl advice?

harris79gr
PostPosted: Apr 06, 2008 - 11:16 AM

Well i found the cause
The same port was used by another program which controls my UPS. I removed that program and now i can program my MCU.If i have read the manual more careful i wouldn't have post. Very Happy

bobgardner
PostPosted: Apr 06, 2008 - 03:31 PM
10k+ Postman

That same problem has been solved by every one of us. Welcome to the club.

Jump to: