Forum Menu




 


Log in Problems?
New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
abhijit8
PostPosted: Jun 22, 2007 - 07:34 AM
Newbie


Joined: Mar 12, 2006
Posts: 2


Hey anyone knows from where can i download the Bray's terminal(http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?module=FreaksTools&func=viewItem&item_id=293 Its homepage http://bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal/ is not working..
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
curtvm
PostPosted: Jun 22, 2007 - 09:42 AM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Posts: 2318


http://www.smileymicros.com/download/te ... tion=42:42
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
abhijit8
PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 - 04:28 PM
Newbie


Joined: Mar 12, 2006
Posts: 2


thanks..
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
bray
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 03:51 PM
Newbie


Joined: Feb 16, 2002
Posts: 16


New web address....

http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal

B
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
nleahcim
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 05:03 PM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Feb 19, 2003
Posts: 2289
Location: Seattle, WA

bray wrote:

Bray! I was wondering if you were still around. Out of curiosity, what is new in the latest version? By the way, I've been loyally using your tool for something like 2-3 years now.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
stevech
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 06:13 PM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Dec 18, 2001
Posts: 5216


Heck of a good program. Use it all the time. Thank you!
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
kmr
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 06:23 PM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Apr 01, 2004
Posts: 3812
Location: New Mexico

Bray, by far my favorite microcontroller interfacing program -- thanks!

_________________
Kevin Rosenberg
http://b9.com
http://kevin.hypershots.com
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
bray
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 06:55 PM
Newbie


Joined: Feb 16, 2002
Posts: 16


nleahcim wrote:

Bray! I was wondering if you were still around. Out of curiosity, what is new in the latest version? By the way, I've been loyally using your tool for something like 2-3 years now.


Hello

What's new? Hmmm...depends on what is your last version. There were some major changes on com port scanning and selecting (up to com32) and small bug fixes. If you can tell me version date i can tell you some more details.

B
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
smileymicros
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 07:41 PM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Nov 17, 2004
Posts: 6479
Location: Great Smokey Mountains.

Bray,

I just made a $50 donation to you since I mention your program in my book and I've used it a lot in my own development work. I'm making this public in the hopes that others who use your terminal will be motivated to also donate to you for your excellent work.

Smiley

_________________
FREE TUTORIAL: 'Quick Start Guide for Using the WinAVR C Compiler with ATMEL's AVR Butterfly' AVAILABLE AT: http://www.smileymicros.com
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
nleahcim
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 08:48 PM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Feb 19, 2003
Posts: 2289
Location: Seattle, WA

bray wrote:
nleahcim wrote:

Bray! I was wondering if you were still around. Out of curiosity, what is new in the latest version? By the way, I've been loyally using your tool for something like 2-3 years now.


Hello

What's new? Hmmm...depends on what is your last version. There were some major changes on com port scanning and selecting (up to com32) and small bug fixes. If you can tell me version date i can tell you some more details.

B

I have been using 20040714. I just noticed that when running the latest from your website it seems to access the Internet. Why is this? (checking for updates perhaps?)
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
bray
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2008 - 09:31 PM
Newbie


Joined: Feb 16, 2002
Posts: 16


Huh...I am really glad to hear that something i'm doing since 1997 is useful for someone else. Yes, it's more than 10 years now. Wink

smileymicros wrote:

I just made a $50 donation to you since I mention your program in my book and I've used it a lot in my own development work. I'm making this public in the hopes that others who use your terminal will be motivated to also donate to you for your excellent work.


Smiley, many thanks!

nleahcim wrote:

I have been using 20040714. I just noticed that when running the latest from your website it seems to access the Internet. Why is this? (checking for updates perhaps?)


Huh...there was a lot of changes since 20040714.
Here is my "WHAT WAS DONE" list Wink

Code:

14.07.2004 - more scripting, rxclear bugfix
  16.07.2004 - ascii table fixes
  22.07.2004 - rescan ports and only connect button, resize bug
  26.07.2004 - new script functions
  28.07.2004 - TCP/IP remote
  31.08.2004 - shrink panels
  01.09.2004 - version with 12 com ports
  05.09.2004 - auto sctoll in hex mode
  16.09.2004 - selectable TCP remote port
  27.09.2004 - request/response form
  18.10.2004 - scripting - SetRTS, SetDTR
  29.10.2004 - longer repeat delay 99999ms
  04.11.2004 - new macro settings form
  05.11.2004 - 512k send file buffer, macro buttons on main form
  07.11.2004 - scripting - Graph_Clear, Graph_Text, ...
  17.11.2004 - highlighted macro buttons in auto mode, script filename
  22.12.2004 - scripting - Graph_Rx
  01.01.2005 - RxMemo savetofile...
  03.01.2005 - add CR/CR+LF, show & hide buttons and com settings
  08.01.2005 - send file delay
  09.03.2005 - better delay function in scripting
  10.03.2005 - wider range for macro delay 0000-9999ms (%DLYxxxx)
  12.06.2005 - invert option for RTS (RS485)
  07.10.2005 - cpystr in scripting (could be removed or changed)
  07.10.2005 - %SUM command
  09.10.2005 - open file
  27.12.2005 - macro naming
  20.01.2006 - COM10 bugfix
  11.02.2006 - remote port select
  26.02.2006 - custom BR bugfix (must reconnect to change value)
  20.04.2006 - new comport selection engine ;)
  25.04.2006 - request response
  20.09.2006 - no more con/disconnect from keyboard(PK), char delay for macro
  12.07.2007 - com20 bugfix
  10.08.2007 - comxx fix


About net access...
You probably get a warning from your firewall, right?
This is because terminal is trying to "listen" on port 23 (telnet port). This is a feature that was added in v20040728 for TCP/IP remote control. It works but it's still some kind of experimental thing.
Let me explain how this works and maybe be useful.
For example...if you have two PCs on your local network and only one have COM port you can connect your com device to this PC and run terminal on it and then remotely connect to this PC from another. All you have to do is to open command prompt and telnet to PC with COM port (telnet 192.168.x.x). Now you can communicate with terminal via ethernet. All you type is transfered into Tx window and all from Rx window will be displayed.
I hope this will help.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
tblough
PostPosted: Mar 02, 2008 - 12:44 PM
Hangaround


Joined: Jan 10, 2007
Posts: 213
Location: Massachusetts, USA

I've been looking for an update as well. My $10 is on it's way.

_________________
Cheers,

Tom
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
nleahcim
PostPosted: Mar 02, 2008 - 10:34 PM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Feb 19, 2003
Posts: 2289
Location: Seattle, WA

bray wrote:
nleahcim wrote:

I have been using 20040714. I just noticed that when running the latest from your website it seems to access the Internet. Why is this? (checking for updates perhaps?)


Huh...there was a lot of changes since 20040714.
Here is my "WHAT WAS DONE" list Wink

Code:

14.07.2004 - more scripting, rxclear bugfix
  16.07.2004 - ascii table fixes
  22.07.2004 - rescan ports and only connect button, resize bug
  26.07.2004 - new script functions
  28.07.2004 - TCP/IP remote
  31.08.2004 - shrink panels
  01.09.2004 - version with 12 com ports
  05.09.2004 - auto sctoll in hex mode
  16.09.2004 - selectable TCP remote port
  27.09.2004 - request/response form
  18.10.2004 - scripting - SetRTS, SetDTR
  29.10.2004 - longer repeat delay 99999ms
  04.11.2004 - new macro settings form
  05.11.2004 - 512k send file buffer, macro buttons on main form
  07.11.2004 - scripting - Graph_Clear, Graph_Text, ...
  17.11.2004 - highlighted macro buttons in auto mode, script filename
  22.12.2004 - scripting - Graph_Rx
  01.01.2005 - RxMemo savetofile...
  03.01.2005 - add CR/CR+LF, show & hide buttons and com settings
  08.01.2005 - send file delay
  09.03.2005 - better delay function in scripting
  10.03.2005 - wider range for macro delay 0000-9999ms (%DLYxxxx)
  12.06.2005 - invert option for RTS (RS485)
  07.10.2005 - cpystr in scripting (could be removed or changed)
  07.10.2005 - %SUM command
  09.10.2005 - open file
  27.12.2005 - macro naming
  20.01.2006 - COM10 bugfix
  11.02.2006 - remote port select
  26.02.2006 - custom BR bugfix (must reconnect to change value)
  20.04.2006 - new comport selection engine ;)
  25.04.2006 - request response
  20.09.2006 - no more con/disconnect from keyboard(PK), char delay for macro
  12.07.2007 - com20 bugfix
  10.08.2007 - comxx fix


About net access...
You probably get a warning from your firewall, right?
This is because terminal is trying to "listen" on port 23 (telnet port). This is a feature that was added in v20040728 for TCP/IP remote control. It works but it's still some kind of experimental thing.
Let me explain how this works and maybe be useful.
For example...if you have two PCs on your local network and only one have COM port you can connect your com device to this PC and run terminal on it and then remotely connect to this PC from another. All you have to do is to open command prompt and telnet to PC with COM port (telnet 192.168.x.x). Now you can communicate with terminal via ethernet. All you type is transfered into Tx window and all from Rx window will be displayed.
I hope this will help.

Hi Bray - thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like a neat feature.

One thing I've never understood was what was appended to the end of messages being sent. So right now if all check boxes are unchecked, if you hit enter when entering text, it just sends the text without anything at the end (no CR or anything like that), right? Then if you check "+CR" it will add on a CR to the end of the string in the text entry box. And if you check CR=CR+LF then it'll add both a CR and an LF? Or am I completely off?

Also, have you ever thought about giving your terminal tabs so that you can monitor multiple com ports at once? I often will have two or three instances of your terminal open (in fact, I have two open right now) so that I can listen to a couple different devices at the same time. Right now I just alt-tab between them, but tabs would be cool Smile

Anyways, thanks again for making such a useful tool available for free to the community!
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
bray
PostPosted: Mar 03, 2008 - 09:27 PM
Newbie


Joined: Feb 16, 2002
Posts: 16


nleahcim wrote:

One thing I've never understood was what was appended to the end of messages being sent. So right now if all check boxes are unchecked, if you hit enter when entering text, it just sends the text without anything at the end (no CR or anything like that), right? Then if you check "+CR" it will add on a CR to the end of the string in the text entry box. And if you check CR=CR+LF then it'll add both a CR and an LF? Or am I completely off?


Yes...it should be something like that. Smile
If you are not sure you can connect pin 2 and pin 3 on com connector to get loop back and turn on hex mode in Rx and you'll see exact echo.

nleahcim wrote:

Also, have you ever thought about giving your terminal tabs so that you can monitor multiple com ports at once? I often will have two or three instances of your terminal open (in fact, I have two open right now) so that I can listen to a couple different devices at the same time. Right now I just alt-tab between them, but tabs would be cool Smile

Anyways, thanks again for making such a useful tool available for free to the community!


Yes...i'm thinking about that...maybe in version 2.0. Wink
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
bray
PostPosted: Mar 18, 2008 - 09:36 PM
Newbie


Joined: Feb 16, 2002
Posts: 16


BTW: new version is available

Some bugfixes and 10 more macros.

http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
MartinM57
PostPosted: Mar 22, 2008 - 09:52 PM
Resident


Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posts: 840
Location: Bristol, UK

Is there a definition of the functions available when scripting?

e.g a PAUSE command would be nice, but I don't know if there is one or not....
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
Plons
PostPosted: Mar 22, 2008 - 10:43 PM
Raving lunatic


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 6597
Location: Hilversum - the Netherlands

Hi Bray,

I am using your terminal-program (as you know Wink ), and noticed the following:

I have a virtual com-port, number 9, built with a FT232R. This USB-chip is not bus-powered, but target-powered. When I have an open com-link to it, and turn the target system off, the terminal-program gets stuck.
I realise that it is not very decent Wink to do so, but wanted to let you know it happens. I tried to put this report on http://braypp.googlepages.com/terminal, but I can't find where to put the report.

Cheers

Nard

PS Tested with an old version from 2004, the latest one on your site, and the version before that with "only" 10 macro's. Hyperterminal survives my abusive turn-off while com-link open action.

_________________
Dragon broken ? Or problems with the Parallel Port Programmer ? Scroll down on my projects-page http://www.aplomb.nl/TechStuff/TechStuff.html for tips
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
bray
PostPosted: Sep 18, 2008 - 11:56 AM
Newbie


Joined: Feb 16, 2002
Posts: 16


Hello

offtopic....is there any similar (free?) program for windows mobile/PPC's ?
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
bray
PostPosted: Sep 19, 2008 - 08:57 AM
Newbie


Joined: Feb 16, 2002
Posts: 16


Ok....no answers. Wink I suppose there is no good free serial terminals for WMPPC's out there. I have plans to make some kind of light version of Terminal.
Any candidats? Wink

_________________
"I didn't know it was impossible when I did it."
https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Reply with quote Back to top
hws
PostPosted: May 13, 2009 - 01:40 PM
Wannabe


Joined: Sep 25, 2005
Posts: 52


I found a problem receiving characters with framing errors (wrong parity)
I admit, it has been a 2004'er version Embarassed

I wrote a MODBus driver which ignores characters with wrong parity. (8,E,1 ist the desired configuration)
One sender launches a message of 5 characters, but I only received 2 characters.
BrayTerm as a spy in this connection showed me all 5 characters correctly.
Unsing BrayTerm instead of the real sender, I could receive all 5 characters.
Using a digital scope I realized, that the sender always uses a "1"Bit for Parity.

How deals BrayTerm (newer versions) with received Framing Errors.
- ignoring characters completely
- displaying without any error-hint
- displaying chracter but showing framing error (e.g. different colour on display) ?

hws
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by PNphpBB2 © 2003-2006 The PNphpBB Group
Credits