Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gwen
PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 - 07:01 PM
Posting Freak

Hi Smile
I found these cool dry-transfer sheets on a UK site.
Has anyone here ever used this sort of thing to customize the front panels of project cases? I'm tired of hand lettering crude legends using a sharpie pen Sad

I'd love to find something similar here in the states...so I don't have to order from so far away...anyone know of a source for these sheets?

They have dark lettering ones for light colored cases and white ones for black cases.

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/Dry%20Decals%20product%20page.htm

Reply with quote Back to top
dksmall
PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 - 07:10 PM
Raving lunatic

I've used them before, not sure where I got them though. I think Radio Shack carried them at one time, but I would think the hobby stores would have them. Try Tower Hobbies for an online store, or search your local stores.

Once applied you want to protect the letters by spraying the panel with a clear coat.

ahank
PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 - 07:43 PM
Wannabe

I've been using the heck out of this Brother PT-1650 Label Printer. It prints a variety of tapes 1/4" to 1" wide. You can print flags or wraps for cables, even spaced port labels. Very cool. Should be great for one-off projects. There's a $30 rebate until Sept 16.

Brother PT-1650 @ Amazon

Edited to add: has a bunch of electronics and telecom symbols built-in.

Last edited by ahank on Sep 04, 2006 - 09:58 PM; edited 2 times in total

mneary
PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 - 07:43 PM
Raving lunatic

Google found www.decalpaper.com in Florida.

bluegoo
PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 - 03:11 AM
Posting Freak

you can get dry transfer lettering at any Hobby Lobby which there are several in most states...check online..also almost any decent modeler's supply

like the other post I bought a Brother 1950 labeler and use the heck out of it for protos and just about anything else that will stay still long enough to get labeled! Shocked

Gwen
PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 - 07:33 AM
Posting Freak

Hi Mneary Smile
Thanks for that link..

Hi Bluegoo Smile
There is a Hobby Lobby in El Paso!
I will check them out and see if they carry this paper.
Thanks Smile

c_hirst
PostPosted: Sep 06, 2006 - 07:35 AM
Resident

I have some sheets of Bishop Graphics (Letraset S50528) Dry transfer paper (before you were born, Gwen Smile ) if anyone is that nostalgic. They have pads, edge fingers, lines, DIP footprints and one size (2.5mm) of alphanumerics.

C.H.

barnacle
PostPosted: Sep 06, 2006 - 08:56 AM
Raving lunatic

Now that takes me back - I used to lay out PCBs that way, to make photo-ready images.

Slow...

Neil

peret
PostPosted: Sep 07, 2006 - 01:31 AM
Raving lunatic

I used to use Letraset for making panels, years ago. I needed to do it again recently and was quite dismayed that I couldn't find any sort of dry-transfer lettering anywhere. I ended up doing it with PCB iron-on toner transfer paper but the process was difficult and the results messy. I must check this crafty-stuff out.

On a related note, someone (3M, perhaps) used to sell a thin brushed aluminum sheet with a sticky back and a red or black photo surface that you could expose through a film and then develop to wash off the unexposed color. It was expensive, but with a bit of care you could make stunning front panels. Has anyone ever come across this recently?

bluegoo
PostPosted: Sep 07, 2006 - 05:19 AM
Posting Freak

peret ...
I used to use the aluminum panels you mentioned back in the early 90's and yes I beleive they were made by 3m but I have not seen them anymore....
Hobby Lobby has two sections of the store with dry transfer lettering..one in the modelers section and another in the scrapbook section...the lettering typically goes down to about 8 pts....but recently I went to a specialty modelers supply shop and they had these dry transfer lettering that were even smaller fonts for like working with H0 scale stuff..certainly smaller than 6 pts...next time I go in that store I will look at the "brand name" which I forgot....
I personally like the Brother 1950 solution..usb hook up to an windows computer..go to the website and check it out...the free Ptouch software in windows allows you to do graphics primitives, images and very small fonts..anyway you like and then print to a very extensive list of avaliable tapes, some clear some colored, various widths. I find a use for this on a daily basis it seems and has paid for itself a long time ago. I bought the machine and the tapes online at great discounts...obviously with dry transfer you have to spray some lacquer over it to keep it from rubbing back off and the Brother tape solution does not require this. They also have extra-sticky adhesives on the tapes.

Jump to: