Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
js
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 02:31 AM
10k+ Postman

Location: Sydney, Australia (Gum trees, Koalas and Kangaroos, No Edelweiss)

(Win7 64bits Home premium)
As I mentioned in another thread I have been having some issues with my laptop crashing, not happy!

I have narrowed it down to the use of Putty at first and the ucon terminal programs. The terminal within Studio, limited as it is, doesn't seem to crash the computer.

I have the latest version of Putty 0.62 and it crashes in a strange way, the program locks up but can be terminated however the applications still show up as active but it can also be terminated, the process however cannot be terminated and the serial port is locked and no other program can use it.

Everything else seems to still work.

It's another story with ucon, the laptop simply goes into blue screen mode and stops working, when it restarts I get an error report and minidump files which are now in the hands of HP for further analysis. Apparently there is an "isssue" with ntoskrnl.exe (I think)

At first I thought that it was a combination of AS6 (of course... Confused ) Adobe and the terminal because they were always open when the crash occured, but then I have been able to run AS6, including it's terminal, and Adobe all day without a crash. Either of the above mentioned terminals will crash after a short period of operation, maybe several minute.

M$ didn't want to know and passed the buck to HP which were helpful once I got in touch with them last night. The "usual" things were suggested, full memoty scan, HD scan and as a last resort reinstall windows which I can't do as no disk came with the machine.

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Last edited by js on May 13, 2013 - 03:18 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
cooluser
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 02:40 AM
Hangaround

teraterm.. did you try with that? Or else you can get the age old hyperterminal to work with win 7 too by copying some dll.

js
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 02:52 AM
10k+ Postman

The point is of course that I want HP or M$ to fix the "issue". Smile

I have 4 terminal programs running on the XP machine without problems. The post is just in case some clever person here knows a fix and I can bypass the stupidity of trying to get M$ involved in this which, I'm sure, will be fruitless.

HP were very helpful and once I do the suggested, several hours tests, I will go back to them if nothing comes up. The support guy did find something in the minudump files I sent him, so maybe they will come up with a fix shortly.

Meantime I will need to suffer with the AS6 terminal.
hmmm may even try Hyperterminal.. Evil or Very Mad

bobgardner
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 03:15 AM
10k+ Postman

Surely there is a c terminal program that will compile with an express compiler. Teraterm is written in turbo pascal which I guess is now delphi, but no source avail. I have a trivial console app one. Anyone else want to start something on sourceforge?

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 04:18 AM
Raving lunatic

I had problems with my Win7 & AS4/AS6 etc. the moment I went from XP. I tracked down to a Prolific USB-RS232 adapter (in fact several of them).
It would fail with just about every terminal program. I tracked it down to Prolific having adapted the driver, which get installed by Vista/Win7, so that the driver would detect [url=http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/]Chinese copies of the USB chip[/url], which were not quite a copy, so that Prolific exploited this fact to throttle the code!
I suspect that the driver probably does this check every character however does not fail all the time, but sooner or later it does. I assume, it is a propagation delay or some such thing that they are testing for.
I fixed the problem by installing an earlier XP driver by forcing it.

It may be the cause or it may be of interest to someone.
Damn... the embedded link does not work ???
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/no ... -adapters/

This is the Prolific warning
Please be warned that counterfeit (fake) PL-2303HX (Chip Rev A) USB to Serial Controller ICs using Prolific's trademark logo, brandname, and device drivers, were being sold in the China market. Counterfeit IC products show exactly the same outside chip markings but generally are of poor quality and causes Windows driver compatibility issues (Yellow Mark Error Code 10). We issue this warning to all our customers and consumers to avoid confusion and false purchase. Prolific prohibits the distribution of any PL-2303 drivers (including download links) without written permission from Prolific.

Prolific advices end-users to only purchase vendor branded cable products with company name contact information for service and support. Prolific does not sell cables with Prolific brand and packaging. In case you suspect a counterfeit chip inside, you may also contact Prolific to provide the vendor information.

jgmdesign
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 05:03 AM
Raving lunatic

John
Brays terminal works just fine in both Win7/32 and Win7/64 if that helps.

The other thing oyu can try is to right click on the application and select Properties and click on the COMPATIBILITY tab. THen check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:'
and select your OS from the drop down

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed. - Fortune cookie

Don't hang your hat on expectations because this often leads to disappointment.

js
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 05:55 AM
10k+ Postman

I was about to write...CRASH!!

This the unit I have, don't know if they are using the Prolific chip, the unit is sealed and can't see anything inside.
http://www.aten.com/products/productIte ... 7104554001

As I was about to say I downloaded the old Hyperterminal (they want 60 bucks for it for the non trial version, they are dreaming!!) and it run for a while. I then downloaded a newer version of ucon, just in case, and it was running for about 10 minutes and then crashed.

So the crash is definetly due to the terminal programs or the USB adaptor. Both work well with Win XP however.

I'll see if I can find another USB to RS232 dongle in the junk box just in case the issues are with the driver as Lee suggests.

I wonder how comes that the AS6 terminal doesn't crash! The developers will get a big head if they find out. Laughing

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 06:09 AM
Raving lunatic

I have W7/64bit Premium Home as well. I have & use several terminal programs and all work OK since the USB was solved.
Yes, I can recall that it always took some time and when one's confidence was high that, "whatever I did to try & fix the crashing" was now working, it would crash at the most critical aprt of a transfer or test (Murphy's law).
I don't know about ATEN. Their website does not state what chip they use.
What does Windows report as to whose driver it is , version etc.
In any case, try an XP driver. You must remove any drivers before forcing a backward driver.
A lot of my ham friends have had problems with USB crashing on updates to a new PC & Vista/W7.
AS6 might be bypassing the installed driver???

js
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 06:40 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
What does Windows report as to whose driver it is , version etc.
haha it is a prolific driver!! signed by M$ as hardware compatible, so looks like Altronics sold me pup.

They don't seem to have that brand in stock anymore. I think I got it 3 years ago.

stevech
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 06:42 AM
Raving lunatic

I'm using WIn7 64bit. Brays HTerm and others work OK. Let's not blame the terminal program if it's indeed the USB driver.

ATEN: I've had one for years. I think it uses FTDI's chip and as we know, FTDI's drivers are correct, and, I think, built-in to the windows distributions and updates. Linux too, I think.

The 2 and 4 port Edgeport USB/Serial boxes... I've had 3 and never any driver issues, and never issues with COM numbers changing at a whim. I've found them at low cost on eBay. Digi International owns them now.

I've had many USB/serial adapters from China that were less than crap. I just cuss and toss it into the trash can and admonish myself for even trying that one. Most were ones someone gave me to use.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 07:25 AM
Raving lunatic

You wouldn't really know what was in a Jaycar unit. There is a small utility which Prolific provide for determining the version of the chip. I am not sure if it tells you it is a fake or not or whether it just tells you it is not prolific. G.. knows!
I have quite a few Chinese adapters steve and have not had a problem, until the dodgy-Prolific issue came about.
IIRC, none of the older Prolific chips will not work after W8. Something to look forward to.

curtvm
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 07:27 AM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
which are now in the hands of HP for further analysis
Unless you are talking to the business side of that operation- you are wasting your time. Your grandkids know more about the internal workings of Windows than the script readers. Microsoft generally knows what they are doing, but they sold that Windows license to the oem, so they will not help you.

As a general rule, if Win7 crashes, it is most likely caused by a driver, or hardware problem. There is a utility from nirsoft called 'blue screen viewer', which can sometimes point in the right direction. If you are lucky.

I would guess you are on the right track with that usb adapter.

Quote:
as a last resort reinstall windows which I can't do as no disk came with the machine.
I may be wrong, but I think you mentioned before that you have a HP (DVx ?). If so, you have the ability to boot into a recovery partition (probably press ESC on boot, then select recovery- something like F11). You should also have the ability to create your own restore disks (somewhere in your start menu- 'create recovery disks' or something. Unless things go seriously wrong- failing hard drive or major virus infection, it is actually rare that Win7 gets to a point where a reinstall is needed (which is step #4 on the script readers 'solution' list). I would create those recovery dvd's though, as you will need them when your hard drive fails, or when you want to sell the laptop.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 07:36 AM
Raving lunatic

This is basically the procedure I used.

The Solution:

The good news is that you can still get Windows to use an older, proven, non-crippled driver you have already installed from the CD that came with your cable, or even better,
from the net. I have a suitable driver if you need it!

If you've not installed any drivers yet, see the section at the bottom of this post.
If you've installed 938 drivers over and over again and are about ready to throw your radio at the dog, fear not--you're almost there.

Disable the Internet!
In Device Manager, right-click the device and select "Update Driver Software".
Select the "Browse my computer ..." option, and on the following screen select
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

Choose an older, workable, driver from the list presented.
For Windows 7 64-bit this is version 3.2.0.0. Any number lower than this should work. Versions at about 3.3 and above are crippled.
RE-enable the Internet.
You might be asked to reboot, but basically that's it!

It is a good idea to disable the Internet as you never know what tricks Bill is up to.

js
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:08 AM
10k+ Postman

Windows will simply not let me install the XP driver from the CD Sad and yes I have the driver version 3.3.7.131 installed by windows.

So will do a bit of complaining to Altronics, one never knows Smile and get another dongle if I can't find my 2nd one which I think I had.

I just don't know what we would ever do without an off-topic forum... Mr. Green

Jepael
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:11 AM
Raving lunatic

I hope this is not too late, but I would have initially thought if all terminal programs crash, and you are using an USB serial port, the first thing is to make sure you have upgraded the USB serial port drivers. Go directly to chip manufacturer for the drivers, not the brand of cable.

Few years back I bought tens of cables directly from FTDI, so I know what is inside, and there is no problem of someone having problems because they use a different USB chip.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:40 AM
Raving lunatic

This is an alternative process!
When you uninstall the driver, it does not clean the registry properly and thats why the old drivers don't work:

so you may have to do this as well

0) regedit.exe - go to hkey_local_machine/system/currentcontrolset/services find ser2pl and then export it as backup and delete it
1) if your win7 is not english (since you are Italian) set its to english language and run rapr.exe will only work in english and delete all prolific driver entries (sort by driver class "Ports (COM & LPT)" )
2) execute pl2303_prolific_gps_allinone_1013.exe - if it tells you it needs to uninstall then uninstall and reboot and run the installer again
3) copy ser2pl64.sys to c:\Windows\System32\drivers\ manually (search your windows folder for it and find the correct one should be 92160 in size)
4) plugin the adapter and dont let windows update install the driver, cancel it and it will install correctly

clawson
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:15 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:

So the crash is definetly due to the terminal programs or the USB adaptor. Both work well with Win XP however.

It's not possible for application software to "crash windows". Like Linux, Windows is a protect mode operating system and the user applications run at Ring 3. The thing that crashes is the kernel running at Ring 0. While Microsoft get a lot of flack for their "flaky operating system" the fact is that it's almost never Microsoft core code that crashes but driver software that has attached to the kernel and also runs with Ring 0 privileges so it has the right to corrupt memory of other tasks or do wicked things like disable but then not re-enable interrupts.

So it is almost undoubtedly the device driver for the USB-RS232. All you can do is attempt to update it but if that doesn't help get a different USB-RS232 with drivers from a different company. (FTDI are almost always guaranteed to be stable apart from one release of their Linux kernel driver that I can remember that caused real problems but that was 5+ years ago).

KitCarlson
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 12:48 PM
Posting Freak

In the distant past I had problem with blue screen crashes. My avr was belching out data and if the pc went to sleep the data was unhandled. The unhandled data created memory overflow issue. I was using a Belkin gold that had prolific chip. I wrote my own custom vt100 terminal with vb6 it requested data from avr. This solved the problem. I can share vb6 code and avr command processor example.

jgmdesign
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 01:04 PM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
I just don't know what we would ever do without an off-topic forum... Mr. Green

Now Now John, Wink

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed. - Fortune cookie

Don't hang your hat on expectations because this often leads to disappointment.

steve17
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 04:21 PM
Raving lunatic

As long as you have Atmel's usb driver installed, I would be suspicious of it. It is known to be bad. This is not an AS6 problem. It has existed forever.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 04:59 PM
Raving lunatic

I have been working with my new Toshiba notebook (see http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name ... 07#1028607 ) running Win7 64b home premium for 2 weeks now, using an FTDI FT232R serial to USB controller. Home made. No problem whatsoever despite lots of data and pushing it: I tweaked my ATtiny45 program and that reports its status.
Now the interesting part: since John has suffered enough IMO (AS6, Xmega ADC), I took a Prolific serial to USB of which I know it's genuine Prolific. No show ! It keeps collecting data but doesn't spitt it out on the screen. As soon as I click "Disconnect" in Br@y's terminal, the screen scrolls like nuts and spits out all data that has been waiting. For what ? I dunno.
If I wait for minutes before clicking "Disconnect", Win7 shows that Br@y is not responding. I can kill it, but you have to be patient and kill it twice Smile
The drivers for the Prolific are:
< oh, ... now I need the new notebook, ... will proceed in a second >

Back again. See attached image.

My conclusion: Br@y is fine, Win7 is fine (hear hear... ), but the drivers for the Prolific chip are bad.

Nard

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 05:19 PM
Raving lunatic

Interesting ....
I just downloaded the latest drivers from http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProdu ... mp;pcid=41 , re-checked genuinity (ok), installed those, started Br@y, hooked up the serial out from the Tiny45 to the Prolific adapter and ....
No show !

So Lee, if you have working drivers, I'd love to get a copy of those.

Nard

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:04 PM
Raving lunatic

Just need to find it on a archive drive Plons. Have you tried the Prolific utility that reports the Prolific chip version?

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:17 PM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
Have you tried the Prolific utility that reports the Prolific chip version?
Yes, I did. It reports a PL-2303 XA/HXA chip on com3.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:29 PM
Raving lunatic

Some browsing revealed more people having issues with these chips. Now looking for "profilic-pl2303-windows-7-64-bit-driver-3.2.0.0.zip" as that seems to be the working version.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:39 PM
Raving lunatic

Found it. And am testing it now. Need to find a walking, talking living AVR since I closed the Toshiba Notebook ...

So I hooked up the FT232R to the PL2303. No show.

So I re-ran the Prolific chip test and: it reports a PL2303 on both com3 and com4. That's odd, since com4 is the FTDI FT232R

I can send a file from PL to FT, ...that works, but not the other way around.
I begin to think this is not a Prolific problem, but an enum problem of Win7. And resposible for that is:
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys with version 6.1.76000.16385 (win7_rtm 090713-1255)

Last edited by Plons on Jan 24, 2013 - 08:54 PM; edited 1 time in total

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 08:46 PM
Raving lunatic

Yes that is the one that is very popular & seems to have the problem. If you can PM your email to me Nard. I will send it to you. PM would not allow me to attach ZIP file??.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 09:00 PM
Raving lunatic

On its way Smile

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 09:39 PM
Raving lunatic

While waiting for Lee's email, I did some reading in Prolific's PDF on installing the driver. Detail: the PL2303XA and HXA will NOT be supported under Windows8: product has reached EOL. This is getting pathetic ! So they expect us to throw away the USB to serial converters that have that chip. Nuts ....

edit: corrected typenumber

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:06 PM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
This is getting pathetic ! So they expect us to throw away the USB to serial converters that have that chip.

Yes, ..it is worse than that though! I have several products that use ridgy didge prolific drivers. Ie glucometer, house power monitoring which have special adapters.
In particular
- Windows 8 is NOT supported in HXA/XA chip versions (will show yellow mark Error Code 10).
- Windows 8 is supported only in following chip versions:
- PL2303HXD (HX Rev D)
- PL2303EA (ESD protection)
- PL2303RA (Built-in transceiver)
- PL2303SA (SOP8 package)
- PL2303TA (PL2303HXA/XA replacement)
- PL2303TB (12 GPIO)

The PL chip that has been cloned and has the induced driver issue is the HXA/XA and is also the one that is most prolific (pun intended) Smile

You should have that file by now Plons

Last edited by LDEVRIES on Jan 24, 2013 - 10:18 PM; edited 1 time in total

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:14 PM
Raving lunatic

It's still not in, Lee.
Are you sure you sent it to <removed by Nard> ?
( no worries, it's a temporary email address )

And about the support of Prolific: it's not after W8, but after W7 !

Last edited by Plons on Jan 25, 2013 - 04:27 PM; edited 1 time in total

js
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:14 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
they expect us to throw away the USB to serial converters
No they expect us to thow away serial, full stop! Mad
And I just lost all I had typed a few minutes ago, the forum was not responding.

I can get one of these http://www.jw.com.au/search/usb%20to%20 ... 2862f96dc3 as the shop is just around the corner and get them to test it with Win8, just in case. A bit expensive but quick.

Last night I did more tests and it doesn't seem to be a "fake chip" issue otherwise I would be getting the yellow triangle error and the dongle would not work at all according to the Prolific site.

Just to be sure I uninstalled the existing driver and instatlled the one from the Prolific site, once I plugged the dongle back in windows reinstalled the other driver. The Prolific driver did not see the dongle at all it seems.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:38 PM
Raving lunatic

Seems like Opera/Gmail does not like .exe files in a .zip to be sent. Just trying to get around that!

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:52 PM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
No they expect us to thow away serial, full stop
Sure ? I just checked FTDI and found:
Quote:
Support for Windows 8
There is no official release of Windows 8, but FTDI have validated that our drivers will function correctly with the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview of Windows 8.

And that is how it should be done.

Quite expensive adapter, John. Make sure there is an FTDI chip in it. Otherwise you'll have the same problem when W10 is released. Or even W9 Sad

Without fiddling the registry, I tried both the latest and the 3.2.0.0 . Both have lock-up problems and are unable to receive data from the FTDI converter.

In the meantime I did the dishes, made a coffee (espresso Italian style) and still no file, Lee.

But I am a patient guy ....

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:55 PM
Raving lunatic

Zip the files with a password, f.i. "TheSamperiSecret"
Then they can't "inspect" it

js
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 10:56 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
made a coffee (espresso Italian style)
I simply push the button on my Swiss made coffee machine. Smile

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 11:09 PM
Raving lunatic

Plons wrote:
Zip the files with a password, f.i. "TheSamperiSecret"
Then they can't "inspect" it

That is a handy tip Nard! You learn something new every day!.
In the mean time , I worked out how to change the extension & it has been successfully sent!

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 11:17 PM
Raving lunatic

I received it, thanks ! , renamed the extention and ran it. Avast didn't like it Smile
Then tried again with the loop-through test: no show. Darn.
I will remove all Prolific drivers and try again.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 11:21 PM
Raving lunatic

Yes, it is important to clean out the registry. I wasted a few hours before I woke up to that.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 11:29 PM
Raving lunatic

First attempt failed.
I will do this tomorrow. It's after midnight here and I tend to make mistakes at these late hours.
Will let you know when I'm done (and hopefully succesfull)

Nard

js
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 12:17 AM
10k+ Postman

And just to nail this things down once for all.

I was about to go out and buy the $35 dongle and then I remembered that I have a board I made a while ago with the FTDI chip and TTL out.

So that's now plugged in and running with ucon, see how long it lasts without crashing.

The "script reader" just told me to reinstall windows from the recovery D drive and it will fix things. I mentioned that, if it is in fact a driver problem, nothing will fix it as the driver hasn't changed since 2009. Sad

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 12:35 AM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
... then I remembered that I have a board I made a while ago with the FTDI chip and TTL out.
Much better solution !

I couldn't resist, removed all drivers, cleaned the registry, installed Lee's package (without the adapter plugged in), it installed fine, plugged the adapter in, windows IMMEDIATELY went to go for the latest drivers on line. O my.
Tried it again, but no, ... no show.

I give up and have decided to solely design with FTDI for USBserial. No more Prolific for me.

Nard

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 12:41 AM
Raving lunatic

I have an idea that is why they suggest going off line. Once you insert the USB device, something changes somewhere and W7 , wont try & update it. It is a can of worms.
As you say, for new designs you are better to use FTDI. But there will be legacy devices for quite a while to come.
C'est la vie.

js
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 12:42 AM
10k+ Postman

Still running! I'm so confident that I'm also doing a full back up while the terminal is running.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 12:54 AM
Raving lunatic

@lee: I could have known Windooz would do that. Fn F8 would have prevented that (turns off wifi)

@John: Very brave Smile

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 01:38 AM
Raving lunatic

I hate to give up.

Disabled Wifi, ran Lee's driverpackage, plugged the Prolific back in and yessss, I can send messages from one terminal to the other. So is this done and over with ? Not at all. Sending a small text "From FTDI to Prolific <CR><LF>" results in a framing error. Xon-Xoff protocol doesn't help. Sending a file is causing lots of frame errors. The other way around (from Prolific to FTDI) works fine. No framing errors, even without ANY handshaking protocol.

At least it works now ... more or less.

Oh, before I forget: using 5V levels messes up everything from FTDI to Prolific: no recognisable characters. Selecting 3.3V on both converters makes it work. The 5V on the USB of this notebook isn't very clean: I already saw that earlier, with my ATtiny45 fan-noise killer. So it looks that the Prolific needs a better filter on the USBpower.

A few minutes later: I plugged the Prolific is an external powered USB hub. Windooz wanted to re-install the drivers, but this time I had killed the Wifi in time. I cancelled the install, re-ran Lee's package, switched off the Prolific (this hub has switches for each of its 7 ports), switched it back on again and it appears in Device Manager as it should.

And now I can send AND receive without errors. But not with 5V levels, I still need to select 3.3V on both.

I don't know why but I can't use PrtScrn any more. I wanted to post a screenshot.

Oh well, John is happily backing-up and I am tired enough to get some sleep.

Thanks again Lee, your package does it !

Nard

PS Lee, can I put that file on-line, on my TechStuff page ? For other desperate Win7 users ?

js
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 02:01 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
John is happily backing-up
Yep and the pc hasn't crashed yet!

I have just found a driver on the ATEN website which seems newer than the one Win7 has, won't do anything until the back up is finished.

Happy dreams! Smile

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 02:09 AM
Raving lunatic

Plons,
Funny you should mention the +5Volt level problem. One of my USB adapters ( I have about 6 of various types), will not work direct on a PC, but works fine through a $3 eBay USB hub, whether the hub is PC powered or whether it is pover from a external +5 V power supply. Go figure!

js
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 09:59 AM
10k+ Postman

Putty has been running for more than 2 hours without problems, ucon ran for about 1.5 hours but then windows locked up when it was time to put a new DVD for the backup, the prompt says to insert a new DVD, I push the eject button but then a pop up appears saying that the DVD has to be closed. This never ends and I had to turn off the PC destroying my 2 DVDs.

Tried another back up without ucon running, just in case, and the same thing happened so I gave up after about 4 hours of messing around waiting to complete the back up. Evil or Very Mad

ucon has been running for about an hour now so I declare the issue solved. Not thanks to M$ or useless HP. Mad

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 10:06 AM
Raving lunatic

I am sure the non-Prolific USB device will work fine. I reckon W7 is pretty good. I have never owned a HP for the good reason that most people in the know have talked me out of it. HP is not the same Hewlett Packard of years gone by.

js
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 08:30 PM
10k+ Postman

I grabbed the HP because it was "cheap" and just to run AS6 for the Atmel seminar Confused

Had they been using AS4 I would still be happily chugging along with my 11YO laptop which doesn't suffer with this problem. In fact I would have never known about the Prolific driver as it has a REAL RS232 port. Smile

I just got an email from the concerned HP support guy who wanted me to reinstall Windows Shocked when I knew that it wasn't going to fix anything so I'll need to be kind.

There is a new driver on the ATEN website for win7 etc. but I could not get it to work with XP so I won't bother trying it out on the laptop. I wasted enough time for a few dollars worth of hardware.

Just stay away from Prolific stuff until they fix things.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 09:21 PM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
Just stay away from Prolific stuff until they fix things.

Prolific won't fix things. They introduced the problems to cripple Chinese clones. Just be wary of any USB products bought via eBay or at computer swap meets. (I don't know why the have the term swap meets. The only thing you seem to swap is cash for goods.)

js
PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 - 09:25 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
be wary of any USB products bought via eBay
Mine came from Altronics about 3 years ago (about $30 then), I'll let them know about the problems.

ATEN seems a reputable, large company but there is not knowing if ATEN branded products were in fact fake products and Altronics was just a victim.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 02:00 AM
Raving lunatic

This is a screen shot of the driver that works with a fake Prolific chip on W7/64 & ProlificChipChecker display.

KitCarlson
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 01:46 PM
Posting Freak

I still think it has to do with buffer overrun. That happened when data was accumulated in the wait to change CD. Perhaps there is a way to monitor the buffer with software. I have only used HD with prolific, and have not had problems logging significant data at 38,400 baud from my engine management systems.

Maybe adding memory is a solution.

js
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 09:12 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
Maybe adding memory is a solution.
I have 6G now, or do you mean the serial port memory as in a larger buffer?

If so how do I do it? With win 7 I only have the choice of FIFO on or off.

The driver I have is in fact 3.3.7.131

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 10:29 PM
Raving lunatic

There are some terminal programs that can "blow" up with overload of data, but in my experience they just lock up. Generally you have to go into the Task Manager to shut them down. I have never seen the BSD with those failures. BSD is usually driver problems (as someone pointed out earlier). More RAM does not fix those problems.
PS. My PC has 4Gb. RAM and since sorting out the driver, I have had no more issues!

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 10:36 PM
Raving lunatic

LDEVRIES wrote:
This is a screen shot of the driver that works with a fake Prolific chip on W7/64 & ProlificChipChecker display.
Lee, that ProlificChipChecker is a piece of non-sense: it reported my FTDI FT232R as PL2303XA/HXA ....

KitCarlson
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 10:51 PM
Posting Freak

Sounds like you have memory. All I can say is, I don't know!

stevech
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 10:59 PM
Raving lunatic

[quote="js"]
Quote:

ATEN seems a reputable, large company but there is not knowing if ATEN branded products were in fact fake products and Altronics was just a victim.
It used to be that end-item manufacturers using FTDI had to put FTDI's logo on the packaging, even though small/obscure. But who keeps the packaging!

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 11:03 PM
Raving lunatic

Yes that does not surprise me I suppose.
Actually I discovered something interesting. I have four USB ports. One has a Wireless mouse dongle in it. When I enumerated the fake Prolific devise four months ago, I only did the three normally available USB ports. Yesterday, I noticed that when I tried the port which normally has the dongle , it enumerates but with the latest driver.
So, I will sneak up on it later and try several Terminal programs and see if it breaks.
I have to admit four months ago, I got it going with lots of suck it and see and I did not proceed in a scientific manner & record all that I did in the correct sequence.
Will report back my findings later.

Edit
Mmmm interesting.
There is a difference between Br@ys current version & the previous version.
The previous version detects & works with the dodgy convertor either in COM9 (old driver) and COM12(newer driver).
I have not load tested COM12 with the later driver with lots of data, which seems to be a trigger for a crash.
The current Br@ys will not detect the dodgy convertor in either port! However it detects a genuine without any problem?
The terminal in Arduino IDE detects the dodgy convertor in either port OK and works in loopback OK, but needs load testing of COM12.

Coolterm detects dodgy convertor in COM9 but not COM12.

Putty seems to detct both OK, but I have done no other tests.
Realterm also seems to detect both OK, but no other tests done.
The Prolific chip detector , reports both ports as the same chip & as OK
!
He he... the plot thickens!

So it appears that latest Br@ys just wont work irrespective of the driver. I read that it was using Br@ys that your problem started Plons? New version or previous version?

More testing required!

Incidentily rapr.exe reports the following Prolific drivers in the driver store.

js
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 12:35 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
Sounds like you have memory.
Yep, can't complain at my age... Smile

stevech
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 08:04 AM
Raving lunatic

There's a Windows option to display hidden (inactive) USB instances. You can delete those that are stale and eliminate some ambiguities.

steve17
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 12:12 PM
Raving lunatic

I have 2 usb-rs232 adapters using Prolific. They both suffer from the same problem. When first plugged in, everything seems normal. After I send a command from my PC program and get a response from the AVR, the PC gets a steady stream of nonsense characters coming in. I get a constant stream of the 0x03 character at a rate of about 8 per second. 0x03 is the ascii ETX char. For a second or two after I send a command, I get a different character, but eventually it changes to ETX.

This doesn't harm communications because I use packets with headers and those characters are just tossed away. They might cause problems for terminal emulators though.

I see NewEgg sells some adapters that use FTDI chips. That might be the solution.
Here are the two cheapest ones.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 8&y=23

I don't need these miserable things because I use desktop computers with PCI serial port cards. You might consider doing that.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 01:59 PM
Raving lunatic

steve17 wrote:
Quote:
because I use desktop computers with PCI serial port cards.
I use such a PCI serial port card too on the PC in the shack. But the laptop is in the livingroom and so I don't have much choice.

@Lee: my laptop is 3 weeks old now, so there are quite some variables: Win7, 64 bit, latest Br@y (1.9b, but I can't find the built in Properties) and last but not least: my unfamiliarity with Win7.
For the record: on all WinXP SP3 systems I never encountered problems with PL2303 adapters.

Edit: the Br@y version I use on this Win7 64b system is 1.9b 20120116

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 02:18 PM
Raving lunatic

Older versions I have in archive are: Terminal20080315 and Terminal20091126
The datecode may be something I added myself.

I'll have a look how these "behave" ....

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 02:38 PM
Raving lunatic

Terminal20091126 works fine
PL driver 3 3 2 105 (Lee's)

When we're all done with sorting this out, I will post the working stuff on my website www.aplomb.nl

Edits:

A. Note that I will not do tests anymore with Prolific v3.4.36.247 driver (the latest) : I'm pretty sure that is a bad driver.

B. Terminal20080315 works fine as well, except that when opening the second terminal, it complains that port23 has been taken; quite normal since the first program grabbed that port.
No handshake protocol used, 1n8, tested @9600bd (my dft) and @115200bd
I run Br@y as Administrator btw

C. So I think we have 2 working combo's now.
If Lee approves with publishing his PL driver, I will create a webpage where these can be downloaded. Link will be posted.

D. For the record: I also tested the latest Br@y with these two USB to serial converters and found that 1. transmission is faster than with older Br@y versions at the same baudrate and 2. I get frame errors when sending a file from FTDI to PL: apparently it cannot handle the speed (buffer overrun I guess)
Adding a delay at the FTDI-side doesn't help, neither does reducing the baudrate from 115200 to 9600

steve17
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 03:57 PM
Raving lunatic

Apparently the ExpressCard rs232 adapters are much better than the USB-rs232 adapters. Laptops have a slot for the ExpressCard. At least many do. It seems to be the laptop's equivalent of the PCI slots on desktop machines.

I just discovered my Dell laptop has an ExpressCard slot that can take the 54 mm and 34 mm cards. I always wondered what that thing was.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6839328018

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-EXP15005- ... card+rs232

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 04:26 PM
Raving lunatic

No express card slot here. So I am bound to using USB serial adapters. But to others your advice can be valuable.

js
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 09:58 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
No express card slot here.
Same here.
Quote:
I use desktop computers with PCI serial port cards.
I have 4 serial ports on the desktop, 2 MB natives and 2 on a PCI card which apparently will no longer works shoud I ever change to Win7 or Win8 according to the M$ advisor.

steve17
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 10:19 PM
Raving lunatic

Maybe MS advisor is right but what are the chances of that happening? Anyway you can certainly buy PCI, or more likely these days, PCI-e cards with Win7 drivers.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 27, 2013 - 10:29 PM
Raving lunatic

js wrote:
Quote:
No express card slot here.
Same here.
Quote:
I use desktop computers with PCI serial port cards.
I have 4 serial ports on the desktop, 2 MB natives and 2 on a PCI card which apparently will no longer works shoud I ever change to Win7 or Win8 according to the M$ advisor.
Talked with a friend today about M$ course. I am glad I still have WinXP systems as work-horses and will treasure those. And hope that they will last for the rest of my life: another 30 years or so Very Happy (a bit optimistic ...)
Kidding aside, it will be Linux (or Android) in just a few years. Just wish I had gone for Linux earlier. I am pretty confident that fellow freaks with Linux or BSD just smile over our Windooz problems. And where is Larry when you need him ?!

Edit: just read Steve's post. That's a relief. Win7 gives me some more headroom than XP

steve17
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 12:08 AM
Raving lunatic

Microsoft's extended support for Win7 ends Jan 14, 2020.
Microsoft's extended support for Xp ends April 14, 2014.
I think when extended support ends, Microsoft will no longer supply security updates.

Win7 is at least as good as XP. I think it is better. For one thing, Win7 comes from Microsoft with all the drivers most people will ever need, and they are good drivers. If the Win7 installation doesn't have the driver, Win7 update probably will.

For Instance I installed Win7 on a five year old laptop that was sold with XP installed. Win7 installed easily and had drivers for almost everything. That wouldn't happen if you tried to install XP on a machine that didn't come with XP and driver discs from the computer's manufacturer.

js
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 01:50 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
support for Win7 ends Jan 14, 2020.
What happens if people rebel like they did when M$ tried to stop support for XP? It was extended for several years.
Quote:
and they are good drivers.
Except for the one in question then? Smile

steve17
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 02:19 AM
Raving lunatic

js wrote:
Quote:
and they are good drivers.
Except for the one in question then? Smile
You would have to mention that. I don't know what the problem is with the terminal. I also got a blue screen a few weeks ago. I had a USB-rs232 plugged in to the back of my computer for a few months because I forgot about it. The blue screen dump pointed to the usbser.sys driver. That is a Microsoft driver. Note I wasn't using the USB-rs232 at the time nor was I using my JTAGICE2. The crash just happened for no apparent reason.

On the other hand, the windrvr6.sys that Atmel uses is not a Microsoft driver and it is not digitally signed. I had asked a question on a Microsoft forum about another crash. They asked me to run the sigverif.exe program and show them the result. When they saw an unsigned driver, they wouldn't go any further until that driver was removed. I don't know if the Atmel driver could cause problems with their usbser.sys, but just having it in the system would end the discussion.

As I don't use the USB-RS232 thing, I'm not interested now in pursuing it any farther. I don't use the Atmel driver much, but occasionally I need the JTAGICE2.

In the future I hope to be using the USB module in my Xmega and then I suppose I will be using usbser.sys. I'll wait and see what happens then.

js
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 05:22 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
There's a Windows option to display hidden (inactive) USB instances.
Can you please refresh my memory on this? I used to have some notes on how to delete rubbish ports (I have more than 60 now) but I can't seen to find it.

stevech
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 06:39 AM
Raving lunatic

Microsoft just must declare end of life on products. Otherwise, they have evermore declining revenue and eventually, their shareholders sell all. Apple figured out that to grow, you have to have completely new products, and that was iTunes, not more Mac computers.

It's a real issue now, with Windows 7 desktop PCs that are several years old being perfectly satisfactory to most users, certainly for business/enterprise users.

Kind of like why we can no longer buy a washing machine that lasts 25 years.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 06:52 AM
Raving lunatic

@stevech
Quote:
Microsoft just must declare end of life on products.
I understand what you're saying. But how about Prolific ? I purchased a bunch of adapters recently, with Prolific genuine PL2303's, and I cannot use them on a modern (ahum) Windows8 machine ? Now that is odd, .... IMO of course.

@steve17: I am on a new Win7 laptop. No Atmel drivers installed (yet). And encounter the Prolific problem, just like John, Lee and others. I don't want to cripple this new PC by re-installing the latest (signed) Prolific drivers, that made the system fail.
Now I've found out that with Lee's (older) Prolific driver, and an older version of Br@y I get a working system, that's good enough for me Smile And in future developments I will only use FTDI chips. Unless Prolific comes with a decent driver and Win8 support.

LDEVRIES
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 09:06 AM
Raving lunatic

Quote:
Microsoft just must declare end of life on products.

Well in this case MS has nothing to do with it. Prolific has decided that they won't support the old chips. Ie. They are not writing new drivers post W8 for whatever reason.
The decline of RS232, the dodgy chips from China etc. It should not be a problem really.
XP has lasted about 12+ years. Similarly if Windows 7 can be used for another 10 years or so then it will be a whole new ball game!

steve17
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 08:23 PM
Raving lunatic

Plons wrote:
@steve17: I am on a new Win7 laptop. No Atmel drivers installed (yet). And encounter the Prolific problem, just like John, Lee and others.
Yes I see a problem with my Prolific adapters. I see a steady stream of ascii ETX characters coming in to the PC. I starts after I send a packet and receive a packet. I don't know if it is the hardware or the driver. Does your terminal emulator show ascii control characters? Do you send and receive with the terminal?

I was thinking of the blue screen. I got one and JS got one. In my case the Prolific adapter was plugged in but was not being used. The Atmel driver was installed but not being used either. The dump showed usbser.sys as the likely culprit. That is a Microsoft driver that I think is used for USB to serial, but there is a prolific driver in there too.

I suppose whether a driver is signed or not doesn't prove anything, but in the past it was always unsigned ones that crashed my XP and Win7.

js
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 08:30 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
I got one and JS got one
JS got a truck load of them Sad it will happen a few second or minutes after staring the terminal program with the ATEN adaptor without fail.

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 09:27 PM
Raving lunatic

steve17 wrote:
Quote:
Does your terminal emulator show ascii control characters? Do you send and receive with the terminal?
I can make it show those. But the effect I see is different: nothing comes in on the terminal handling the Prolific com, and when it's not too much information, the terminal screen shows all that has been received as soon as I hit the "Disconnect" button (Br@y's terminal)When too many characters have been sent, the terminal program stops responding to Windows, like hitting "Disconnect" or closing it with the red X in the upper right corner of the terminal window.
And to answer your second question: The Prolific talks to a FTDI USB to serial converter. Which is run by a second Br@y terminal program. And vice versa. I send small packets of 15 characters between the two, but also send .txt-files for test purposes.

js
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 10:57 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
The Prolific talks to a FTDI USB to serial converter
?? Why not use the FTDI drivers? Why the Prolific driver?

Plons
PostPosted: Jan 28, 2013 - 11:07 PM
Raving lunatic

It's my test setup, John.
The new notebook has an AVR in its inners now, .... that keeps it quiet. That AVR used to talk through the FTDI converter but to help you in sorting out the lock-up problem in Win7, I swapped converters and used the Prolific instead. But since my "make the darn thing quiet"-project is done (and succesfull), I closed the new laptop and needed a different setup for further testing. So I let the Prolific talk to the FTDI, and vice versa. And that is how I found a working combo of Lee's Prolific driver and an older version of Br@y (2009)
I am working on a webpage to make Lee's driver and the older Br@y available to all people having problems with the PL chip.
But my mind is now set to Dnepr's ignition ..... and cleansweeping the old notebook. Busy days.

Plons
PostPosted: Feb 09, 2013 - 09:27 PM
Raving lunatic

Agreed, it took a while, but here is the link to a webpage where you can download a working driver for the Prolific chips. With thanks to Lee de Vries for the working driver and his help.
http://www.aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Prolific/Prolific_PL2303.html

js
PostPosted: Feb 09, 2013 - 09:56 PM
10k+ Postman

The interesting thing is that the dongle works well with the AS6 terminal and with the STK500, so AS6 must not be using the "normal" driver.

I will keep this dongle for the above and get a FTDI dongle for other RS232 work if I need to.

edsut
PostPosted: Mar 25, 2013 - 05:19 PM
Rookie

John,
Hi, I just stumbled on this forum thread; didn't read through all of it,
but just wanted to offer a hand if there is ever an issue with
uCon in the future. I try to address issues with it as folks report them,
and also take "requests" for new features if you ever have ideas that
are applicable to the terminal emulator. So, don't hesitate to
shoot me an email if anything comes up.
Regards,
Ed

js
PostPosted: Mar 25, 2013 - 09:22 PM
10k+ Postman

Hi Ed I didn't know you hanged around here too Smile You did a few fixes for me a while ago and I appreciate your efforts very much.

The issue here is the actual Win7 Prolific driver, both uCon and Putty crash windows when the serial dongle is being used, so it may be a little hard to debug unless you can get your hands on a USB>RS232 dongle with the bad Prolific chip.

Maybe they are ALL bad so you won't have any problems getting one. Smile

...can't spell in the morning... Confused

edsut
PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 - 02:12 PM
Rookie

John,
Yea, I thought your name sounded familiar! Smile
I use a USB dongle with a Prolific driver all the time on Win7, and can't say I've seen a problem in normal use (maybe that's because my dongle doesn't have the bad chip, don't know). The only recent issue that I fixed had to do with dealing with incoming errors detected when the baudrate of the target was different than the baud rate of uCon. I put this fix in a few weeks back, and it may have some other generic positive effects, so if you haven't gotten the latest uCon lately, you may want to give it a spin...

js
PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 - 07:25 PM
10k+ Postman

I have Revision 8.0 (SVN:456) from Feb 7th. Is there a later version?

As I mentioned in the thread it is not just uCon crashing windows but also putty (I use putty at times as one of my clients uses it so that we see that same thing when using his code).

edsut
PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 - 07:56 PM
Rookie

Yea, the change I'm referring to went in around the beginning of March; and I've added a few other miscellaneous things since then as well.
Regarding the crash being driver related...
Understood, but if *any* program can run without crashing, then there must be some known workaround (or accidental code path that just happens to work!); so it would just be interesting to know if it now survives (assuming you can test it with a bad dongle).

js
PostPosted: Mar 27, 2013 - 12:16 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
if *any* program can run without crashing
The AS6 terminal worked ok, I ended up using a FTDI USB>TTL board I had around to use uCon.

I will try the newer version of uCon in the next couple of days.

Got to finish some work so that I can pay some bills. Smile

js
PostPosted: Apr 12, 2013 - 04:41 AM
10k+ Postman

Hi Ed

I have installed the latest uCon version today (April 3 SVN rev 537) and so far it has been running well for several hours along with AS6.1, before it would crash Windows very quickly.

So you either squashed the bug or M$ fixed the driver, I made enough noise about it both with HP and M$.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to use Putty see if it crashes.

js
PostPosted: Apr 12, 2013 - 07:32 AM
10k+ Postman

Maybe I spoke too soon. Embarassed

I went out for about half an hour and before leaving I checked that ucon was still working ok.

When I came back I tried to check it again as the computer had not "crashed", however it was frozen and had to turn it off from the switch as nothing was responding. Sad

So no BSOD but still not happy, back to the Atmel terminal.

edsut
PostPosted: May 11, 2013 - 02:52 PM
Rookie

John,
I've been poking around again regarding this issue because I too see crashes of various types (when using USB-to-Serial); especially when there's a lot of data from the target.
Anyway, I may have stumbled on yet-another cleanup that I just applied to uCon the other day. I've been running a test now for 2 days non-stop with a Prolific dongle and its running just fine.
As usual, I don't know for sure if this is a fix or if I'm just lucky (and it will crash two minutes after I post this message to you! Sad ); but as of now (with close to 48 hours of non-stop traffic on the link) its good to go.
I've updated uCon at http://www.umonfw.com/ucon so if you wanna give it another shot, that would be great. I'd love to see this problem go away.
Regards,
Ed

Plons
PostPosted: May 11, 2013 - 03:19 PM
Raving lunatic

Ed, what is the OS you're running and what is the rev level of the Prolific driver you're using ?

edsut
PostPosted: May 11, 2013 - 04:07 PM
Rookie

I'm running Win7, with Prolific driver...
Date: 7/26/2012
Vrsn: 3.4.36.247
Is there a particular version of the driver that I should use that is known to reproduce this crash problem?
Ed

edsut
PostPosted: May 11, 2013 - 04:49 PM
Rookie

I just updated to a newer version of the driver dated 2/5/2013, vrsn 3.4.48.272, so I'm restart my test with this version of the driver...

Plons
PostPosted: May 11, 2013 - 10:55 PM
Raving lunatic

edsut wrote:
I'm running Win7, with Prolific driver...
Date: 7/26/2012
Vrsn: 3.4.36.247
Is there a particular version of the driver that I should use that is known to reproduce this crash problem?
Ed

That's exactly the combo that made the system crash. Now I use an older driver and an older version of Br@y's terminal. Details here: http://www.aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Prolific ... L2303.html

Nard

Edit: just tried to download ucon, but the link you provided is dead.

bobgardner
PostPosted: May 11, 2013 - 11:14 PM
10k+ Postman

Hi John. I have a new asus laptop with win7 at a customer site and imagine my terror when I fired up putty to talk over the usb to serial converter and got reboots and bluescreens. Teraterm seemed to work better, but I've seen that get scrambled under heavy usage, so I'll second the suspicion that putty and prolific usb to serial dongle is a toxic combo.

smileymicros
PostPosted: May 11, 2013 - 11:57 PM
Raving lunatic

I haven't read the entire thread so I'm not sure how relevant this is, but let me add that Win7 64-bit causes a problem with serial communications via C# and VB .NET if it is compiled with the default 'anyCPU' selection. If you compile with the 'x86' instead the problem goes away. My terminal programs refused to work with Win& 64-bit until I made this change.

Smiley

js
PostPosted: May 12, 2013 - 12:37 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
but the link you provided is dead.
There was a stray comma at the end of the link and I have just fixed it.

Trying it out now.

Plons
PostPosted: May 12, 2013 - 04:13 PM
Raving lunatic

Silly me, I missed that. Thanks John.

I will give it a try as well.

Nard

edsut
PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 02:56 AM
Rookie

I've been running with that driver and uCon now since I originally said I updated the driver (at least 24-36 hours now, with over 500000000 characters received). Seems to be fine...
Please let me know if you guys notice crashes with uCon (SVN 586 or above).
Thanks!
Ed

js
PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 03:17 AM
10k+ Postman

I have been running it for 4.5 hours now.

The new RTS/DTR stuff is a nice addition, maybe you could have the buttons changing colour (green??) when active instead of showing the 0 or 1? Smile

edsut
PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 03:22 AM
Rookie

Funny you say that... I originally added that for someone and had red/green as the indicator,and they asked for the 0/1. I'll see what I can do... Is there an "official" designation of 1==Grn, 0==Red, I think I've seen it both ways.

js
PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 04:24 AM
10k+ Postman

I guess the 0/1 can still be there, I used another terminal years ago (can't remember it's name) and I'm pretty sure that Green was for an active signal.

And while we are stretching the friendship you could make the colour user selectable. Laughing

js
PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 08:52 AM
10k+ Postman

About 10 hours running now, longer than even. Smile

edsut
PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 01:50 PM
Rookie

My test ran through the night adding an additional 100000000 incoming characters to the total.
I added 'green' active on the incoming signals.
Its in the latest install (SVN:590).
Keep me posted if you see a crash.
Thanks,
Ed

edsut
PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 06:31 PM
Rookie

John,
By the way, I didn't ignore your 'user-selectable-color' request; however, that's a tough one because the toolbar is rendered using a previously created bitmap. Having one bitmap for active and one for inactive is easy; but I have no clue how I would change the color on the fly (keep in mind this is entirely written in 'C').
Ed

Plons
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 12:31 AM
Raving lunatic

Will have a test running this night, with your latest uCon and Prolific driver 3 4 48 272.
A quick question, if I may: how to add a CR/LF to the text stored in a button ? I can't find it (but it's late here ...)

Thanks,

Nard

Edit: one more question: is the Standard Logging File kept in Ram or on HDD ?

js
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 01:56 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
how to add a CR/LF
\r\n Smile
Quote:
is the Standard Logging File kept in Ram or on HDD
It can be saved to HDD.

Last edited by js on May 14, 2013 - 02:08 AM; edited 1 time in total

js
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 02:04 AM
10k+ Postman

Also a script example which can be run from either a function key or a button.
This script was a run test for highway flashing beacons.
Code:
# New script
# Refer to menu item 'Help->Scripts' for details.

CLS

# top:

send -cnx "00230242803B"   #0x02 Off
send -cnx "00230247B6"   #0x02 Go
SLEEP 50         #Wait for status
send -cnx "002303428238"   #0x03 On
send -cnx "00230347B5"   #0x03 Go

SLEEP 500      #set 0.5 seconds timeout after sending command

send -cnx "00230342803A"   #0x03 Off
send -cnx "00230347B5"   #0x03 Go
SLEEP 50         #Wait for status
send -cnx "00230242813A"   #0x02 On
send -cnx "00230247B6"   #0x02 Go

SLEEP 500      #set 0.5 seconds timeout after sending command

GOTO top
a pretty powerful test jig without having a test jig.

edsut
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 12:04 PM
Rookie

Yep, this is the same kind of script I've been running to test this, just a bunch of sends in a loop.

Just to elaborate on John's answers above...
The function keys (and buttons) accept
\r | \n | \t | \b, plus you can do this:

\x## where '##' is ascii-coded hex; this essentially
allows you to put any binary value in the function key (or button).

Regarding logging... when turned on each line is written directly to the logging file using 'write' so it is immediately flushed.

HTH

Plons
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 01:59 PM
Raving lunatic

Thank you, gentlemen Smile

Regarding the HDD question: that was because of the SSD in the Win7 system. I didn't want to wear it out by this test.

A pretty impressive program, Ed. Good work !

And for the test: no crash. I ran the same tests as I did earlier: WinXP running Br@y's terminal, pushing lots of data through a FTDI USB to serial converter to the SUT, being Win7, 64 bit, with the Prolific adapter and runnung uCon.

Nard

edsut
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 03:33 PM
Rookie

Just to make sure we're on the same page regarding logging...
Logging is only enabled if you specifically enable it
and specify a destination file for it.
So, by default there is no logging to a file at all.
You may be thinking of the screen buffering. In that case, it is in RAM.

Regarding the crash... Great! Please email me directly if you see the
crash again. For some reason I am not being notified when this topic
is updated.

By the way, I added some more detail to the docs regarding
the use of \r\n\b\t etc... http://www.umonfw.com/ucon/htmlhelp/Topic17.htm

Thanks!
Ed

Plons
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 04:21 PM
Raving lunatic

Thanks for adding that info regarding \r\n etc

To get notified: you can check it in you Profile, or thread specific: see attached screen capture.

edsut
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 08:55 PM
Rookie

Yep, I have that checked, and I have my personal email address specified in my profile.

Plons
PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 08:59 PM
Raving lunatic

Maybe your spam-filter is blocking notifications ....
I use a dedicated account for AVRfreaks notifications.

Plons
PostPosted: May 15, 2013 - 07:21 PM
Raving lunatic

Test result: 15E6 characters sent, no crash !
You did it, Ed ! Congratulations.

Nard

edsut
PostPosted: May 16, 2013 - 12:33 PM
Rookie

This is good news. Its been running for days for me on two different systems (both of which are using Prolific); totaling hundreds of millions of characters. Thanks for your testing! (I'm still not getting any email notification)

js
PostPosted: May 16, 2013 - 09:02 PM
10k+ Postman

Do you have your profile set up for
Quote:
Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.
to YES?

I had a similar problem on another forum untill I fixed that bit.

edsut
PostPosted: May 16, 2013 - 10:31 PM
Rookie

Yep, that was set to 'Yes' also.
No clue what's going on...

js
PostPosted: May 16, 2013 - 10:40 PM
10k+ Postman

As also suggested by Plons the spam filter is the only other thing I can think of.

My mail goes via 2 spam services and the email program spam filter before I see it, when something doesn't arrive I need my Sherlock Holmes hat on. Smile

edsut
PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 01:31 AM
Rookie

Well, I'm a moron... You were right John... I use Thunderbird as a front end to gmail, so I don't see it, but I went to gmail directly and found them...

js
PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 03:02 AM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
I'm a moron...
Religion is not an allowed topic here Wink Laughing

edsut
PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 01:47 PM
Rookie

LOL!! Hey, I got an email notification for that!!!
John & Nard, thanks much!

I finished building the house, and THEN I figured out how to use the hammer...
One thing for sure: there will be more houses...

edsut
PostPosted: Sep 06, 2013 - 08:20 PM
Rookie

Hey guys, just figured I'd check in...
Has uCon been working ok lately?
I haven't seen any crashes since the fix we talked about while back...
Ed

Plons
PostPosted: Sep 06, 2013 - 10:08 PM
Raving lunatic

Hi Ed,

I haven't used uCon since the tests. Br@y was my preferred terminal program and still is. Your uCon is a great program, but to learn all the ins and outs ... I'd rather not stress myself. With a teflon memory ... nothing sticks Sad

Nard

js
PostPosted: Sep 06, 2013 - 10:10 PM
10k+ Postman

Hi Ed, thanks for your interest and support.

I don't use my Win7 machine very much but the times I have used it ucon has been working ok.

A couple of weeks ago one of my clients purchased a USB to RS232 dongle containing the Prolific chip so that they could play around with changing lots of EEPROM parameters in some product I'm developning for them, of course the terminal they were using crashed or locked up.

I got them to download and use ucon and all seems well, they used it for days without crashing AFAIK.

Edit just remembered something, don't know if anything can be doen about it. I few days ago I was using ucon with a Telnet connection and as my network had changed in the past year or so ucon could not reach the module and after a timeout the whole thing shuts down.

Is there a way of not shutting down ucon when the above happens so that one could change the IP address to the correct one?

edsut
PostPosted: Sep 20, 2013 - 07:21 PM
Rookie

Hey John, sorry for the late reply...
Ok, I see what you mean (I think)... If the connection fails, uCon's window just terminates. I changed that action so that it now just leaves the window up in a "Disconnected" state so that you can then go to Config->Backend and specify a new connection and save that. Latest install has that change.

js
PostPosted: Sep 20, 2013 - 09:45 PM
10k+ Postman

Thanks again Ed Smile I'll try it out today.

js
PostPosted: Sep 30, 2013 - 05:39 AM
10k+ Postman

The network connection failure seems to be handled ok now but the USB failure still crashes. (in unplug USB cable or turn board off).

But the biggest thing with Build 639 is that the reconnect button no longer works Sad ie can disconnect but need to close the terminal and start another session to reconnect.

edsut
PostPosted: Sep 30, 2013 - 12:02 PM
Rookie

Hmmm... lemme take a look.
Fixed one thing, and apparently broke two others.
Real good...

Disconnect of USB (for me) generates a uCon dialog
indicating the error, so I don't know if I'll even
be able to reproduce that.

edsut
PostPosted: Sep 30, 2013 - 01:25 PM
Rookie

John,
Well, unfortunately I can't reproduce anything here.
I can unplug USB cable and I get an expected dialog, and I'm able to disconnect/reconnect without a problem.
I assume, regarding the disconnect/reconnect, that you're referring to serial-over-USB right?

Are you still on W7? That's the only OS I can conveniently test on at the moment.
Ed

js
PostPosted: Sep 30, 2013 - 10:27 PM
10k+ Postman

Quote:
Are you still on W7?
No, still on XP Smile (2 laptops on Win 7 but main computer still XP)

I just tried with a real port and a USB to RS232 (FTDI chip on my board) and the reconnect works again. Rolling Eyes

Next time it happens I will take better notes, it did happen several times a few days ago and I wasn't even drunk!

Sorrry. Embarassed

Jump to: