Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lauritabecerra
PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 05:17 PM

I just buyed the AVRISP mkII, and I have the following problem:

The green led of USB is on, and the green led of DC power is also turned on, and so I guess I connected everything correctly with my ATTINY10. Studio 5 identifies the programmer.

The following error appears in Studio 5:
16:37:47.658: [ERROR] TCF command: Device:startSession failed: Code:1 ,Service: ,Message from peer:Failed to enter programming mode. Error status received from tool: Result received is 0x01.
16:39:24.846: [ERROR] TCF command: Device:startSession failed: Code:1 ,Service: ,Message from peer:Failed to enter programming mode. Error status received from tool: Result received is 0x01.
16:39:24.848: [ERROR] Programming session setup failed: TCF command: Device:startSession failed: Code:1 ,Service: ,Message from peer:Failed to enter programming mode. Error status received from tool: Result received is 0x01.

I have searched the web, but few or nothing is said about this specific problem with Tiny10. There are some projects using AVRISP mkII with Tiny10, so I guess there is a problem with my project.

I was thinking that maybe there is a problem with the RSTDISBL of the fuses. As I am using PORTB3 as the input for my ADC, I needed to enable RSTDISBL in Studio 5 (this is needed in order to use PORTB3 as input or output) . I understand that STK600 lets you reprogram the device even thought the RSTDISBL was enabled, and so, before I didn't phase the problem, but now programming with AVRISP mkII is impossible. Do you think it is possible that my error is because of this?

I found on the web a circuit (US$10) that allows the recovery from programming the RSTDISBL fuse when using the Reset pin as an IO.
http://tom-itx.dyndns.org:81/~webpage/c ... _index.php
It connects between a programmer that emulates AVRISP mkII, and the microcontroller. Because of time and money I can't buy this adapter.

Do you think the error of Studio5 is because of this need to change the fuses conditions? (RSTDISBL enabled). I have to do so because I need all the ports in Tiny10 for the specific application I am designing

Messages from Studio5:

Reading fuses failed.
Read lockbits failed.
Erase device failed.

Reply with quote Back to top
bobgardner
PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 07:18 PM
10k+ Postman

Studio5 might be obsolete. Studio6 is newer, might be better. Did you select a very slow ISP clk frequency? Like 125KHz?

snigelen
PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 07:31 PM
Posting Freak

I don't think (well I don't know) that the AVRISPmkII can do high voltage TPI programming. But if you apply 12V to the reset line when you program the t10 it should work with RSTDISBL activated. Of course you need to disconnect anything from that pin that's not 12V tolerant. (the programmer?).

And, before people starts to apply 12V to the reset line, this is specific to the tiny10-family which uses the TPI protocol for programming. It does not work with devices that use ISP, they need HVSP or HVPP when the reset line is disabled.

lauritabecerra
PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 09:14 PM

snigelen wrote:
But if you apply 12V to the reset line when you program the t10 it should work with RSTDISBL activated.

so you suggest that before trying to program the Tiny10, apply 12V to the reset pin (PORTB3) in order to program the tiny10 again? I mean:

Steps:
1. Disconnect everything.
2. Apply 12V to PORTB3 - reset
3. Disconnect
4. Connect the programmer
4. Try programming

is that it?

bobgardner
PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 09:26 PM
10k+ Postman

Hi voltage programming (and I guess eraseing) is described in detail in the datasheet. That's how everyone in the world that isn't a designer at atmel learns about it.

snigelen
PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 09:50 PM
Posting Freak

I mean, if everything is connected:
1. Disconnect everything that can't handle 12 V from the reset pin on the tiny10 (including reset from the programmer). Leave all other connections as they are.
2. Apply 12V to the reset pin.
3. Do the programming.

That worked for me when I tried (with the AVRISPmkII clone from LUFA and avrdude).

larryvc
PostPosted: May 18, 2012 - 05:39 AM
Raving lunatic

Read paragraph 14.3.1 of the latest ATtiny10 datasheet.

abcminiuser
PostPosted: May 18, 2012 - 08:02 AM

You need to keep the 12V applied to /RESET during the programming.

- Dean Twisted Evil

lauritabecerra
PostPosted: May 21, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Thank you all!

DEHiCKA
PostPosted: Jun 17, 2012 - 03:51 PM

I have a problem with avrisp mk2 and tiny10 combo:

Device signature is 0x00FFFFFF, but 0x001E9003 is expected.
My setup is exactly the same like: http://minisystem.blogspot.com/2012/01/ ... -mkii.html
The only difference is I'm using latest Studio 6.

I've tried two fresh chips, changed drivers to libusb with avrdude instead of studio, even tried +12v on reset pin. No matter what I try, I always get FFFFFF.
If I leave reset pin floating, then it will not go into programming mode, so at least it's not dead.

larryvc
PostPosted: Jun 17, 2012 - 05:25 PM
Raving lunatic

I would recheck your connections from the AVRISP mkII to the chip and also check the board to be sure you do not have any shorted/open solder joints.

DEHiCKA
PostPosted: Jun 17, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I've checked every connection prog_pin -> chip_pin with MM several times. Same for shortages. No luck.
Full size picture - http://i.imgur.com/ra2kF.jpg

Jump to: