Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
smileymicros
PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 04:35 AM
Raving lunatic

I got an email claiming that somebody was trying to get a bunch of Asian suffixed domain names for smileymicros. Being of a suspicious nature I Googled 'Asian domain name scam' which turned out to be a good guess:
http://www.marco.org/2010/09/23/the-asi ... rtion-scam

Just FYI.

Smiley

Reply with quote Back to top
jan_dc
PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 06:42 AM
Hangaround

I get those emails regularly for years. Sometimes it's quiet, sometimes I get them almost daily.

abcminiuser
PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yep, it's junk. Also watch out for the fun scammers that put in fradulent DNS transfers and literally hijack your domain from under you, although there's not all that much you can do to prevent it.

Scamming on the internet is big business. Simple way to tell; if they're asking for money for something and you didn't go to them first, it's a scam.

- Dean Twisted Evil

smileymicros
PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 09:55 PM
Raving lunatic

I did a bit of Googling on 'fradulent DNS transfers' and couldn't figure out what you are referring to. Can you provide more details or a link?

Smiley

abcminiuser
PostPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Whoops, I mean Domain Hijacking (see "Description" of this short Wikipedia article) and not DNS Hijacking, although the latter can occur also.

Basically, the scammer contacts your domain registrar, says "hey I'm totally that Smokey guy, and I really want to transfer my domain www.smileymicros.com to this shady domain host" and bam, now your domain is pointing to someone's ad-farm or worse.

- Dean Twisted Evil

EDIT: And if you Google it you can find lots of references to victims, as well as how-to guides. Yay!

Jump to: