Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gorloth
PostPosted: May 16, 2012 - 03:17 AM

I have a USBasp programmer that has been working great for years now on my old computer running avrdude 5.6, I'm trying to transition my programming to a newer computer running avrdude 5.11 but when I try to program something I get the following error:

Quote:
avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 0
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

The new computer is running ubuntu 12.04, it does see the programmer as being connected. Was there some change between 5.6 and 5.11 that makes my USBasp programmer and it's rather old firmware version not work? or is it missing some flag? I poked around on the avrdude documentation but didn't find anything helpful. Anyone have an idea on something to try?

thanks
-Gorloth

Reply with quote Back to top
larryvc
PostPosted: May 16, 2012 - 03:24 AM
Raving lunatic

You need to update the firmware on the USBasp programmer. You can get the firmware here:

http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

You will need another programmer to program the firmware onto the USBasp.

gorloth
PostPosted: May 16, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Ah, I was afraid that was going to be the answer, I guess that just gets me more motivation to get my DIY bus pirate up and running so I can re-flash my programmer, thanks for the quick response

-Gorloth

david.prentice
PostPosted: May 16, 2012 - 08:13 AM
10k+ Postman

I presume that you have the 'original' usbasp firmware.

Avrdude will whinge about 'setting SCK' but you can safely ignore the warnings.

Since you have got "avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1" this suggests you should use the SLOW jumper.

Yes. I would update the firmware when convenient. Then you can remove the SLOW jumper completely.

David.

Jump to: