Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nath
PostPosted: Jul 08, 2010 - 08:09 AM

I'm having the problem where the installer minimizes to taskbar and never makes any progress. Has anyone yet found a workaround? The UAC/network adaptor settings didn't seem to help.

**Update**
Found a suggestion to try in safemode. Installed perfectly fine on Windows 7 64-bit.

Reply with quote Back to top
SuziScar
PostPosted: Nov 03, 2010 - 01:20 AM

I had same issue with avrstudio 4.18 installer minimizing to taskbar, no progress bar.

Unplugging Belkin USB dongle fixed the problem.

System Win XP SP3.

ch424
PostPosted: Nov 09, 2010 - 01:35 PM

david.kiryazi wrote:
bowmo wrote:
Hmm.. just tried to install on a windows 7 64bit system. but it fails!
It takes me through the startup questions, but after choosing the install directory, the installer minimizes to the taskbar, and nothing else happens at all..

The chosen directory is never created. I have tried running it in XP mode, but no success in that either.

Anyone else tried to install on windows 7, 64bit?

/ Thomas

I had the same problems on my Win7 x64 machine. Basically I took the following steps and avr studio 4.18 installed without a problem. Unfortunately I don't know where the key is in these steps that actually solves the problem. But if you can replicate the steps, I am confident you might get somewhere Smile

1. Disable UAC
2. restart computer (you must do this)
3. disable network connection
4. close all programs (including antivirus)
5. Run avr studio 4.18 setup
6. You can install SP2 update at this point
7. Turn UAC back on
8. Reboot machine
(remember to re-enable network connection)

My gut feeling tells me UAC has something to do with it but since people are having the same problem on XP (which doesn't have UAC) tells me something else may be the cause.

HTH.

Dave

I was having the same installation problem, and Dave's method fixed it - thanks! I didn't bother stopping the antivirus software, but did the UAC and network stuff. I've got 4.18SP3 all installed fine now.

Mehran000
PostPosted: Aug 10, 2011 - 03:12 AM

none of the suggested methods worked for me!

Solution: At first install avr studio 4.15.623 and then update it to version 4.18 by running avr studio 4.18. it works

jimloko
PostPosted: Aug 28, 2011 - 02:13 AM

Finally got around to installing v4 on windows 7 64bit. I've found that you have to actually log in as Aministrator and not just 'run as admin..'.

Chances are that the admin account is disabled. To enable the admin account just:

1. Right click on my computer and click 'Manage',
2. Go to 'Local Users and Groups'\Users then properties for Administrator,
3. Un-check 'account is disabled'.

Then you can 'Switch Users' and log in as Administrator. For a default install the admin account wont have a password. If it does you can go back and right click on Administrator and 'Set Password...'.

Install AVR Studio (and SPs) then logout. You can then go back into users and disable the Admin account.

Hope this helps.

ragnaroktomorrow
PostPosted: Sep 09, 2011 - 02:02 AM

Installed on Win7 Professional x64. It did the thing where it appeared to do nothing upon clicking the Install button.

After it sat there for 5-10 minutes I installed the avr-toolchain and was going to restart my computer. I began manually shutting down programs and after closing a few the AVRStudio4 window popped back up and started installing normally.

Hope this helps someone.

KemKin
PostPosted: Sep 14, 2011 - 12:05 AM

Just have been trying to install the 4th version in Windows 7 x64.

A couple of unsuccessful attempts would actually get me to nothing, if I wouldn't Ctrl+Alt+Del and didn't delete a process from called rundll.

It was kind of strange for me that every time the installer window closes - the explorer window comes back to the front of me.

So start the installer while it hangs up, and then kill the process rundll32 (or something like that), the window will pop up and continue installation.

MechAlucard
PostPosted: Oct 31, 2011 - 08:49 PM

Installing in safe mode worked for me on Windows 7 64 bit

cog
PostPosted: Nov 11, 2011 - 08:08 PM

I confirm david.kiryazi's recipe, on win7-64 home premium, installing avr studio 4.19. Both the UAC tweak and the reboot are needed. Then installation completes in about two minutes, instead of the windowless taskbar icon.

steve17
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2011 - 06:41 AM
Raving lunatic

Something is strange here. Is everyone that has problems using Win7 Home Premium? I haven't tried installing Studio on Home Premium, only Professional. I've used Home Premium for other purposes though and haven't seen any differences between it and Professional.

You should never have to disable UAC or log on as "Administrator", or run in Safe Mode. It's possible there is something in Premium that conflicts with Studio, but I'd rather believe it's something else. Maybe your anti-virus is screwing things up.

One screwy thing that confused me with 4.19 or maybe 4.18 is you get another install shield window to install the half-assed Jungo driver. That window aligns itself exactly with the Studio install window. If you are unlucky, it gets behind the Studio window and you don't know it's there. So you never click NEXT, and things grind to a halt.

If you have trouble installing sommething, try right clicking on the setup program and click "Run as administrator". I don't have to do that though to install Studio unless I'm installing from a non-admin account, so I doubt if it will help here.

jeroen3
PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 - 07:53 PM
Wannabe

The installer I've succesfully used since 2010 isn't working anymore either.
I suspect the SP1 of Windows 7 is the problem.

update:
Safe mode works on Win 7 SP1 x86 and x64

mereldawu
PostPosted: Nov 20, 2013 - 08:08 AM
Rookie

david.kiryazi wrote:
bowmo wrote:
Hmm.. just tried to install on a windows 7 64bit system. but it fails!
It takes me through the startup questions, but after choosing the install directory, the installer minimizes to the taskbar, and nothing else happens at all..

The chosen directory is never created. I have tried running it in XP mode, but no success in that either.

Anyone else tried to install on windows 7, 64bit?

/ Thomas

I had the same problems on my Win7 x64 machine. Basically I took the following steps and avr studio 4.18 installed without a problem. Unfortunately I don't know where the key is in these steps that actually solves the problem. But if you can replicate the steps, I am confident you might get somewhere Smile

1. Disable UAC
2. restart computer (you must do this)
3. disable network connection
4. close all programs (including antivirus)
5. Run avr studio 4.18 setup
6. You can install SP2 update at this point
7. Turn UAC back on
8. Reboot machine
(remember to re-enable network connection)

My gut feeling tells me UAC has something to do with it but since people are having the same problem on XP (which doesn't have UAC) tells me something else may be the cause.

HTH.

Dave

I'm on win7 64 bit professional.
Dave's method works for me too. Restart is essential.

Thanks a lot.

adynis
PostPosted: Feb 18, 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi,
I had the same problem.... and for me worked by ... clicking "Sign out" (windows), then ... when saying that app bla bla is preventing windows to sign out, I clicked cancel, then again sign out, again cancel and : tadaaaaaamm : the GUI was there installing ...

I'm not sure if it was related or not, but i as trying for ~1h ...

tom62
PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 - 01:08 AM
Rookie

I am run window 7 64bit
studio 4.19 worked before, I uninstalled it and can not reinstall it back.

it minimize the installation window and stay there for ever, I try all the solutions about, still does not work.

Does anyone have new idea? thanks

tom62
PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 - 05:59 AM
Rookie

tom62 wrote:
I am run window 7 64bit
studio 4.19 worked before, I uninstalled it and can not reinstall it back.

it minimize the installation window and stay there for ever, I try all the solutions about, still does not work.

Does anyone have new idea? thanks

installed in safe mode, works perfectly Embarassed

Jump to: