Forum Menu

New User? Sign Up!
AVR Freaks Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DiodeDan
PostPosted: Aug 10, 2008 - 11:02 PM
Rookie

Hi all,

I was wondering about the difference between ISR and SIGNAL. I saw an earlier post, but it seemed as if the responses had been removed. Clawson had said something about using ISR and the xxx_vect defines.

Is it true that a SIGNAL( xxxx ) routine cannot be interrupted? Also, the xxx_vect and SIG_xxx are defined to be the same thing in the interrupt definition file. Why does it matter, is it a style thing?

One final question: I wanted to do a PIT (periodic interrupt timer.) The idea is to have a specific function be called every time a timer counter overflows. Should I call that function in the ISR, or should I have the ISR set a flag, and then have main() handle it? (I guessing the 2nd is the better one, but please let me know why it is better.)

DiodeDan

Reply with quote Back to top
glitch
PostPosted: Aug 10, 2008 - 11:49 PM
Raving lunatic

SIGNAL is the old way of doing it. ISR is the new way. The primary reason for the change is that there was a lot of confusion between SIGNAL, and INTERRUPT. SIGNAL executed the code with global interrupts disabled, like ISR does, so it could not be interrupted further by another interrupt source. INTERRUPT did not do this, and as such, caused problems for many users who didn't pay attention to the documentation.

buffi
PostPosted: Aug 11, 2008 - 12:24 AM
Resident

If your PIT function is very short, you can call it from within the ISR. If it takes a long time to execute (what "a long time" is depends on your application), just set a flag in the ISR. However, setting a flag introduces a longler latency.

If the function is not time critical, setting a flag is better, as this will improve the response times for other interrupts.

glitch
PostPosted: Aug 11, 2008 - 12:54 AM
Raving lunatic

I missed the part about the function call.. I don't suggest calling any functions from within an ISR. It is best to do the work in the isr directly, or for longer processing tasks, set a flag, and deal with it in the main loop.

abcminiuser
PostPosted: Aug 11, 2008 - 03:52 AM

Also note that in recent avr-lib-c distributions with my patch, ISR() takes a second optional argument which can set the behaviour - ISR_NOBLOCK (equivelent to the old INTERRUPT), ISR_BLOCK (normal blocking behaviour) or a few other less commonly used attribute.

- Dean Twisted Evil

buffi
PostPosted: Aug 11, 2008 - 07:47 AM
Resident

They might be less common, but they are cool: The ISR_NAKED attribute together with flags in GPIOR0 gives me a 2-cycle flag setting ISR.

clawson
PostPosted: Aug 11, 2008 - 11:42 AM
10k+ Postman

I'll move this to "GCC". DiodeDan, in future if making posts specifically about GCC, can you use that forum?

DiodeDan
PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 - 01:16 AM
Rookie

Ok, sorry.

Jump to: