The world needs an ARINC 429 shield

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

The world needs an ARINC 429 shield.
Preferably using a Holt IC chip with an SPI interface that isn't bitbanged. Can someone post a schematic that I could use with a proto shield?

Imagecraft compiler user

I did bit bashed arinc429 over 20 years ago for a INU simulator. Its like uart data but 32 bits long.

OK, Cool, but I need to do a real Holt Arinc SPI transceiver on a board, and a shield would be a great test generator for testing this purpose built board that is going into the sim.

Imagecraft compiler user

:lol: Is this for a school project?

Sorry Bob... couldn't resist.

Cheers,

Ross

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Good news for students: Some folks actually get a pay check for laying out boards and writing programs.

Imagecraft compiler user

Hmmm...
I wonder what the demand would be, considering that I had to Google ARINC429.
Could be useful to the hobbyist Arduino user hoping to hack into the Airbus circuits, I suppose.

Quebracho seems to be the hardest wood.

Quote:

The world

The world == Bob?

That would be a good item! I have used a Holt chip in my last two aerospace projects. And we are doing shields here as fill. I think I just thought of one! Not sure when the world will see it but I will pursue this. Thanks for the big push!

Send email when shield is avail! My search for "ARINC 429 cards" turns up a picture of an arduino mega2560, so I was all excited, but its an instructable article where some dude hooks up an ancient 40 pin arinc dip and bitbangs everything. Not exactly what I want/need.

I needed to read an avionics box with an arinc channel. The arinc to usb dongle was $2000. If the shield costs $50, I'd buy 5 of them. Right now.

Imagecraft compiler user

What is the issue with bit bashing the protocol? I managed to talk happily with a Litton INU

Its a gut feel thing. Why do sw uart if there is a hw uart? Why do sw spi if there is a hw spi? I guess there is a Russian dude that can do 12 megabit usb in sw, but why? Can anyone do 10 megabit Ethernet in sw?

Imagecraft compiler user

Someone has done ethernet tx at least.

I've never seen these Holt chips. When i did my design there were some obsolete western digital chips so i just bit bashed the interface. It was 10kbit if i remember correctly. Some code, an arduino and some differential drivers. Job done.

One of the few jobs i did in 68k asm

Hi 3593 $77 ouch!

Quote:

I guess there is a Russian dude that can do 12 megabit usb in sw, but why?

AFAIK it's still the only way to get a DIP packaged AVR to do USB without adding extra chips.

Time to getthe soldering iron out, Bob.. :wink:

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

clawson wrote:
Quote:

I guess there is a Russian dude that can do 12 megabit usb in sw, but why?

AFAIK it's still the only way to get a DIP packaged AVR to do USB without adding extra chips.
The USB guy, Igor Cesko is Slovakian.

Smiley

But he was in a Big Hurry to get the program written.

Imagecraft compiler user