I recently created a project/solution from the Atmel web site http://start.atmel.com.
Seems pretty nifty and saved me the drudgery of naming all my pins, my crystal/clk, the serial port worked as expected (after adding a little of my own code) and generated a lot of basic stuff to get me going on my custom board.
I was able to take the basic project and add my own stuff to it without a lot of effort and so far it has worked fine.
The debugger was screwy when dealing with my serial port ISR things appeared to be optimized away as if I as if I had set the -O option to to high a level and the break points would not hit or step properly it also appeared/acted like I wasn't using volatile vars (but I was).
I went old school and got things going without a debugger by fiddling with bits/pins and looking with an o'scope.
I don't think it is related to the ASF frame work but it could be I suppose.
It is also not obvious to the uninitiated(me) but the way I got it to work was by creating a project on the web site then exported the project as a zip.
I then I got it into Atmel Studio 7 IDE under the File->Import->Atmel Start Project.
Also the ASF wizard inside the IDE is a different thing (according to Atmel tech support) than Atmel Start.
I'm still fuzzy on the exact details but the ASF wizard creates a project from an ASF frame work and Atmel Start creates a project from an ASF frame work is my understanding thus far???
My guess is that they are different frame works???)
Once I imported the project I noticed inside the solution explorer if I right clicked on the Project folder I have the choice to re-configure the Atmel Start Project.
It looks and feels like I've reopened a saved (different from an exported project as an exported project creates .atzip file whereas a saved project creates an .atstart file ) project on the web site.
Except it doesn't really do any thing I can't make it scroll or if I click on the pin mux nothing happens.
I can click on the setup for a serial port but when I click on a check box or try to edit a field nothing happens.
(maybe this was never supposed to work???..but it doesn't appear that should be the case it looks like something is wrong with my environment or project ).
Is there anyone out there that knows if this works/has ever seen it work/had it work for their Atmel Start Project?
Or knows what I might do to make it work to modify my project or knows of a config file or somewhere that I might poke around in etc.
Also as an experiment I tried to create a Start project from inside the IDE (one of the choices File->New->Atmel Start Project) thinking the imported project from the web site was the cause of my troubles but wound up in the same state and could not get a start project going at all.
The headers in the project warn that if you don't save your changes this could be over written when changes are made to the project so I'm taking them at their word that this is the case.
If someone knows/understands/has given a little thought to the process saving what you have added somewhere safe and making changes either on the web site or from inside the IDE (assuming that it works) then I'd be grateful for that and any other suggestions or comments that come my way.
Seems with a little more polish/work this could be a useful tool but it doesn't appear to be ready for prime time as it is...maybe it is just my particular setup.