Terminal program crashes win7 [solved several times...]

Last post
136 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

(Win7 64bits Home premium)
As I mentioned in another thread I have been having some issues with my laptop crashing, not happy!

I have narrowed it down to the use of Putty at first and the ucon terminal programs. The terminal within Studio, limited as it is, doesn't seem to crash the computer.

I have the latest version of Putty 0.62 and it crashes in a strange way, the program locks up but can be terminated however the applications still show up as active but it can also be terminated, the process however cannot be terminated and the serial port is locked and no other program can use it.

Everything else seems to still work.

It's another story with ucon, the laptop simply goes into blue screen mode and stops working, when it restarts I get an error report and minidump files which are now in the hands of HP for further analysis. Apparently there is an "isssue" with ntoskrnl.exe (I think)

At first I thought that it was a combination of AS6 (of course... :? ) Adobe and the terminal because they were always open when the crash occured, but then I have been able to run AS6, including it's terminal, and Adobe all day without a crash. Either of the above mentioned terminals will crash after a short period of operation, maybe several minute.

M$ didn't want to know and passed the buck to HP which were helpful once I got in touch with them last night. The "usual" things were suggested, full memoty scan, HD scan and as a last resort reinstall windows which I can't do as no disk came with the machine.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

teraterm.. did you try with that? Or else you can get the age old hyperterminal to work with win 7 too by copying some dll.

The point is of course that I want HP or M$ to fix the "issue". :)

I have 4 terminal programs running on the XP machine without problems. The post is just in case some clever person here knows a fix and I can bypass the stupidity of trying to get M$ involved in this which, I'm sure, will be fruitless.

HP were very helpful and once I do the suggested, several hours tests, I will go back to them if nothing comes up. The support guy did find something in the minudump files I sent him, so maybe they will come up with a fix shortly.

Meantime I will need to suffer with the AS6 terminal.
hmmm may even try Hyperterminal.. :evil:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Surely there is a c terminal program that will compile with an express compiler. Teraterm is written in turbo pascal which I guess is now delphi, but no source avail. I have a trivial console app one. Anyone else want to start something on sourceforge?

Imagecraft compiler user

I had problems with my Win7 & AS4/AS6 etc. the moment I went from XP. I tracked down to a Prolific USB-RS232 adapter (in fact several of them).
It would fail with just about every terminal program. I tracked it down to Prolific having adapted the driver, which get installed by Vista/Win7, so that the driver would detect [url=http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/]Chinese copies of the USB chip[/url], which were not quite a copy, so that Prolific exploited this fact to throttle the code!
I suspect that the driver probably does this check every character however does not fail all the time, but sooner or later it does. I assume, it is a propagation delay or some such thing that they are testing for.
I fixed the problem by installing an earlier XP driver by forcing it.

It may be the cause or it may be of interest to someone.
Damn... the embedded link does not work ???
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/

This is the Prolific warning
Please be warned that counterfeit (fake) PL-2303HX (Chip Rev A) USB to Serial Controller ICs using Prolific's trademark logo, brandname, and device drivers, were being sold in the China market. Counterfeit IC products show exactly the same outside chip markings but generally are of poor quality and causes Windows driver compatibility issues (Yellow Mark Error Code 10). We issue this warning to all our customers and consumers to avoid confusion and false purchase. Prolific prohibits the distribution of any PL-2303 drivers (including download links) without written permission from Prolific.

Prolific advices end-users to only purchase vendor branded cable products with company name contact information for service and support. Prolific does not sell cables with Prolific brand and packaging. In case you suspect a counterfeit chip inside, you may also contact Prolific to provide the vendor information.

Charles Darwin, Lord Kelvin & Murphy are always lurking about!
Lee -.-
Riddle me this...How did the serpent move around before the fall?

John
Brays terminal works just fine in both Win7/32 and Win7/64 if that helps.

The other thing oyu can try is to right click on the application and select Properties and click on the COMPATIBILITY tab. THen check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:'
and select your OS from the drop down

Attachment(s): 

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than to attempt nothing and succeed. - Fortune cookie

George Orwell wrote about the future, and people called it fiction.

I was about to write...CRASH!!

This the unit I have, don't know if they are using the Prolific chip, the unit is sealed and can't see anything inside.
http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pid=2005022316346005&psid=20050117102915002&pcid=20050107104554001

As I was about to say I downloaded the old Hyperterminal (they want 60 bucks for it for the non trial version, they are dreaming!!) and it run for a while. I then downloaded a newer version of ucon, just in case, and it was running for about 10 minutes and then crashed.

So the crash is definetly due to the terminal programs or the USB adaptor. Both work well with Win XP however.

I'll see if I can find another USB to RS232 dongle in the junk box just in case the issues are with the driver as Lee suggests.

I wonder how comes that the AS6 terminal doesn't crash! The developers will get a big head if they find out. :lol:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I have W7/64bit Premium Home as well. I have & use several terminal programs and all work OK since the USB was solved.
Yes, I can recall that it always took some time and when one's confidence was high that, "whatever I did to try & fix the crashing" was now working, it would crash at the most critical aprt of a transfer or test (Murphy's law).
I don't know about ATEN. Their website does not state what chip they use.
What does Windows report as to whose driver it is , version etc.
In any case, try an XP driver. You must remove any drivers before forcing a backward driver.
A lot of my ham friends have had problems with USB crashing on updates to a new PC & Vista/W7.
AS6 might be bypassing the installed driver???

Lee -.-

Quote:
What does Windows report as to whose driver it is , version etc.
haha it is a prolific driver!! signed by M$ as hardware compatible, so looks like Altronics sold me pup.

They don't seem to have that brand in stock anymore. I think I got it 3 years ago.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I'm using WIn7 64bit. Brays HTerm and others work OK. Let's not blame the terminal program if it's indeed the USB driver.

ATEN: I've had one for years. I think it uses FTDI's chip and as we know, FTDI's drivers are correct, and, I think, built-in to the windows distributions and updates. Linux too, I think.

The 2 and 4 port Edgeport USB/Serial boxes... I've had 3 and never any driver issues, and never issues with COM numbers changing at a whim. I've found them at low cost on eBay. Digi International owns them now.

I've had many USB/serial adapters from China that were less than crap. I just cuss and toss it into the trash can and admonish myself for even trying that one. Most were ones someone gave me to use.

You wouldn't really know what was in a Jaycar unit. There is a small utility which Prolific provide for determining the version of the chip. I am not sure if it tells you it is a fake or not or whether it just tells you it is not prolific. G.. knows!
I have quite a few Chinese adapters steve and have not had a problem, until the dodgy-Prolific issue came about.
IIRC, none of the older Prolific chips will not work after W8. Something to look forward to.

Lee -.-

Quote:
which are now in the hands of HP for further analysis
Unless you are talking to the business side of that operation- you are wasting your time. Your grandkids know more about the internal workings of Windows than the script readers. Microsoft generally knows what they are doing, but they sold that Windows license to the oem, so they will not help you.

As a general rule, if Win7 crashes, it is most likely caused by a driver, or hardware problem. There is a utility from nirsoft called 'blue screen viewer', which can sometimes point in the right direction. If you are lucky.

I would guess you are on the right track with that usb adapter.

Quote:
as a last resort reinstall windows which I can't do as no disk came with the machine.
I may be wrong, but I think you mentioned before that you have a HP (DVx ?). If so, you have the ability to boot into a recovery partition (probably press ESC on boot, then select recovery- something like F11). You should also have the ability to create your own restore disks (somewhere in your start menu- 'create recovery disks' or something. Unless things go seriously wrong- failing hard drive or major virus infection, it is actually rare that Win7 gets to a point where a reinstall is needed (which is step #4 on the script readers 'solution' list). I would create those recovery dvd's though, as you will need them when your hard drive fails, or when you want to sell the laptop.

This is basically the procedure I used.

The Solution:

The good news is that you can still get Windows to use an older, proven, non-crippled driver you have already installed from the CD that came with your cable, or even better,
from the net. I have a suitable driver if you need it!

If you've not installed any drivers yet, see the section at the bottom of this post.
If you've installed 938 drivers over and over again and are about ready to throw your radio at the dog, fear not--you're almost there.

Disable the Internet!
In Device Manager, right-click the device and select "Update Driver Software".
Select the "Browse my computer ..." option, and on the following screen select
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

Choose an older, workable, driver from the list presented.
For Windows 7 64-bit this is version 3.2.0.0. Any number lower than this should work. Versions at about 3.3 and above are crippled.
RE-enable the Internet.
You might be asked to reboot, but basically that's it!

It is a good idea to disable the Internet as you never know what tricks Bill is up to.

Lee -.-

Windows will simply not let me install the XP driver from the CD :( and yes I have the driver version 3.3.7.131 installed by windows.

So will do a bit of complaining to Altronics, one never knows :) and get another dongle if I can't find my 2nd one which I think I had.

I just don't know what we would ever do without an off-topic forum... :mrgreen:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I hope this is not too late, but I would have initially thought if all terminal programs crash, and you are using an USB serial port, the first thing is to make sure you have upgraded the USB serial port drivers. Go directly to chip manufacturer for the drivers, not the brand of cable.

Few years back I bought tens of cables directly from FTDI, so I know what is inside, and there is no problem of someone having problems because they use a different USB chip.

This is an alternative process!
When you uninstall the driver, it does not clean the registry properly and thats why the old drivers don't work:

so you may have to do this as well

0) regedit.exe - go to hkey_local_machine/system/currentcontrolset/services find ser2pl and then export it as backup and delete it
1) if your win7 is not english (since you are Italian) set its to english language and run rapr.exe will only work in english and delete all prolific driver entries (sort by driver class "Ports (COM & LPT)" )
2) execute pl2303_prolific_gps_allinone_1013.exe - if it tells you it needs to uninstall then uninstall and reboot and run the installer again
3) copy ser2pl64.sys to c:\Windows\System32\drivers\ manually (search your windows folder for it and find the correct one should be 92160 in size)
4) plugin the adapter and dont let windows update install the driver, cancel it and it will install correctly

Lee -.-

Quote:

So the crash is definetly due to the terminal programs or the USB adaptor. Both work well with Win XP however.

It's not possible for application software to "crash windows". Like Linux, Windows is a protect mode operating system and the user applications run at Ring 3. The thing that crashes is the kernel running at Ring 0. While Microsoft get a lot of flack for their "flaky operating system" the fact is that it's almost never Microsoft core code that crashes but driver software that has attached to the kernel and also runs with Ring 0 privileges so it has the right to corrupt memory of other tasks or do wicked things like disable but then not re-enable interrupts.

So it is almost undoubtedly the device driver for the USB-RS232. All you can do is attempt to update it but if that doesn't help get a different USB-RS232 with drivers from a different company. (FTDI are almost always guaranteed to be stable apart from one release of their Linux kernel driver that I can remember that caused real problems but that was 5+ years ago).

In the distant past I had problem with blue screen crashes. My avr was belching out data and if the pc went to sleep the data was unhandled. The unhandled data created memory overflow issue. I was using a Belkin gold that had prolific chip. I wrote my own custom vt100 terminal with vb6 it requested data from avr. This solved the problem. I can share vb6 code and avr command processor example.

It all starts with a mental vision.

Quote:
I just don't know what we would ever do without an off-topic forum... Mr. Green

Now Now John, ;)

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than to attempt nothing and succeed. - Fortune cookie

George Orwell wrote about the future, and people called it fiction.

As long as you have Atmel's usb driver installed, I would be suspicious of it. It is known to be bad. This is not an AS6 problem. It has existed forever.

I have been working with my new Toshiba notebook (see http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=1028607#1028607 ) running Win7 64b home premium for 2 weeks now, using an FTDI FT232R serial to USB controller. Home made. No problem whatsoever despite lots of data and pushing it: I tweaked my ATtiny45 program and that reports its status.
Now the interesting part: since John has suffered enough IMO (AS6, Xmega ADC), I took a Prolific serial to USB of which I know it's genuine Prolific. No show ! It keeps collecting data but doesn't spitt it out on the screen. As soon as I click "Disconnect" in Br@y's terminal, the screen scrolls like nuts and spits out all data that has been waiting. For what ? I dunno.
If I wait for minutes before clicking "Disconnect", Win7 shows that Br@y is not responding. I can kill it, but you have to be patient and kill it twice :)
The drivers for the Prolific are:
< oh, ... now I need the new notebook, ... will proceed in a second >

Back again. See attached image.

My conclusion: Br@y is fine, Win7 is fine (hear hear... ), but the drivers for the Prolific chip are bad.

Nard

Attachment(s): 

Dragon broken ? Or problems with the Parallel Port Programmer ? Scroll down on my projects-page http://www.aplomb.nl/TechStuff/TechStuff.html for tips

Interesting ....
I just downloaded the latest drivers from http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41 , re-checked genuinity (ok), installed those, started Br@y, hooked up the serial out from the Tiny45 to the Prolific adapter and ....
No show !

So Lee, if you have working drivers, I'd love to get a copy of those.

Nard

Dragon broken ? Or problems with the Parallel Port Programmer ? Scroll down on my projects-page http://www.aplomb.nl/TechStuff/TechStuff.html for tips

Just need to find it on a archive drive Plons. Have you tried the Prolific utility that reports the Prolific chip version?

Lee -.-

Quote:
Have you tried the Prolific utility that reports the Prolific chip version?
Yes, I did. It reports a PL-2303 XA/HXA chip on com3.

Some browsing revealed more people having issues with these chips. Now looking for "profilic-pl2303-windows-7-64-bit-driver-3.2.0.0.zip" as that seems to be the working version.

Found it. And am testing it now. Need to find a walking, talking living AVR since I closed the Toshiba Notebook ...

So I hooked up the FT232R to the PL2303. No show.

So I re-ran the Prolific chip test and: it reports a PL2303 on both com3 and com4. That's odd, since com4 is the FTDI FT232R

I can send a file from PL to FT, ...that works, but not the other way around.
I begin to think this is not a Prolific problem, but an enum problem of Win7. And resposible for that is:
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys with version 6.1.76000.16385 (win7_rtm 090713-1255)

Yes that is the one that is very popular & seems to have the problem. If you can PM your email to me Nard. I will send it to you. PM would not allow me to attach ZIP file??.

Lee -.-

On its way :)

While waiting for Lee's email, I did some reading in Prolific's PDF on installing the driver. Detail: the PL2303XA and HXA will NOT be supported under Windows8: product has reached EOL. This is getting pathetic ! So they expect us to throw away the USB to serial converters that have that chip. Nuts ....

edit: corrected typenumber

Quote:
This is getting pathetic ! So they expect us to throw away the USB to serial converters that have that chip.

Yes, ..it is worse than that though! I have several products that use ridgy didge prolific drivers. Ie glucometer, house power monitoring which have special adapters.
In particular
- Windows 8 is NOT supported in HXA/XA chip versions (will show yellow mark Error Code 10).
- Windows 8 is supported only in following chip versions:
- PL2303HXD (HX Rev D)
- PL2303EA (ESD protection)
- PL2303RA (Built-in transceiver)
- PL2303SA (SOP8 package)
- PL2303TA (PL2303HXA/XA replacement)
- PL2303TB (12 GPIO)

The PL chip that has been cloned and has the induced driver issue is the HXA/XA and is also the one that is most prolific (pun intended) :)

You should have that file by now Plons

Lee -.-

It's still not in, Lee.
Are you sure you sent it to ?
( no worries, it's a temporary email address )

And about the support of Prolific: it's not after W8, but after W7 !

Quote:
they expect us to throw away the USB to serial converters
No they expect us to thow away serial, full stop! :mad:
And I just lost all I had typed a few minutes ago, the forum was not responding.

I can get one of these http://www.jw.com.au/search/usb%20to%20serial?osCsid=762bcad45e8996cf4c75a32862f96dc3 as the shop is just around the corner and get them to test it with Win8, just in case. A bit expensive but quick.

Last night I did more tests and it doesn't seem to be a "fake chip" issue otherwise I would be getting the yellow triangle error and the dongle would not work at all according to the Prolific site.

Just to be sure I uninstalled the existing driver and instatlled the one from the Prolific site, once I plugged the dongle back in windows reinstalled the other driver. The Prolific driver did not see the dongle at all it seems.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Seems like Opera/Gmail does not like .exe files in a .zip to be sent. Just trying to get around that!

Lee -.-

Quote:
No they expect us to thow away serial, full stop
Sure ? I just checked FTDI and found:
Quote:
Support for Windows 8
There is no official release of Windows 8, but FTDI have validated that our drivers will function correctly with the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview of Windows 8.

And that is how it should be done.

Quite expensive adapter, John. Make sure there is an FTDI chip in it. Otherwise you'll have the same problem when W10 is released. Or even W9 :(

Without fiddling the registry, I tried both the latest and the 3.2.0.0 . Both have lock-up problems and are unable to receive data from the FTDI converter.

In the meantime I did the dishes, made a coffee (espresso Italian style) and still no file, Lee.

But I am a patient guy ....

Zip the files with a password, f.i. "TheSamperiSecret"
Then they can't "inspect" it

Quote:
made a coffee (espresso Italian style)
I simply push the button on my Swiss made coffee machine. :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Plons wrote:
Zip the files with a password, f.i. "TheSamperiSecret"
Then they can't "inspect" it

That is a handy tip Nard! You learn something new every day!.
In the mean time , I worked out how to change the extension & it has been successfully sent!

Lee -.-

I received it, thanks ! , renamed the extention and ran it. Avast didn't like it :)
Then tried again with the loop-through test: no show. Darn.
I will remove all Prolific drivers and try again.

Yes, it is important to clean out the registry. I wasted a few hours before I woke up to that.

Lee -.-

First attempt failed.
I will do this tomorrow. It's after midnight here and I tend to make mistakes at these late hours.
Will let you know when I'm done (and hopefully succesfull)

Nard

And just to nail this things down once for all.

I was about to go out and buy the $35 dongle and then I remembered that I have a board I made a while ago with the FTDI chip and TTL out.

So that's now plugged in and running with ucon, see how long it lasts without crashing.

The "script reader" just told me to reinstall windows from the recovery D drive and it will fix things. I mentioned that, if it is in fact a driver problem, nothing will fix it as the driver hasn't changed since 2009. :(

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Quote:
... then I remembered that I have a board I made a while ago with the FTDI chip and TTL out.
Much better solution !

I couldn't resist, removed all drivers, cleaned the registry, installed Lee's package (without the adapter plugged in), it installed fine, plugged the adapter in, windows IMMEDIATELY went to go for the latest drivers on line. O my.
Tried it again, but no, ... no show.

I give up and have decided to solely design with FTDI for USBserial. No more Prolific for me.

Nard

I have an idea that is why they suggest going off line. Once you insert the USB device, something changes somewhere and W7 , wont try & update it. It is a can of worms.
As you say, for new designs you are better to use FTDI. But there will be legacy devices for quite a while to come.
C'est la vie.

Lee -.-

Still running! I'm so confident that I'm also doing a full back up while the terminal is running.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

@lee: I could have known Windooz would do that. Fn F8 would have prevented that (turns off wifi)

@John: Very brave :)

I hate to give up.

Disabled Wifi, ran Lee's driverpackage, plugged the Prolific back in and yessss, I can send messages from one terminal to the other. So is this done and over with ? Not at all. Sending a small text "From FTDI to Prolific " results in a framing error. Xon-Xoff protocol doesn't help. Sending a file is causing lots of frame errors. The other way around (from Prolific to FTDI) works fine. No framing errors, even without ANY handshaking protocol.

At least it works now ... more or less.

Oh, before I forget: using 5V levels messes up everything from FTDI to Prolific: no recognisable characters. Selecting 3.3V on both converters makes it work. The 5V on the USB of this notebook isn't very clean: I already saw that earlier, with my ATtiny45 fan-noise killer. So it looks that the Prolific needs a better filter on the USBpower.

A few minutes later: I plugged the Prolific is an external powered USB hub. Windooz wanted to re-install the drivers, but this time I had killed the Wifi in time. I cancelled the install, re-ran Lee's package, switched off the Prolific (this hub has switches for each of its 7 ports), switched it back on again and it appears in Device Manager as it should.

And now I can send AND receive without errors. But not with 5V levels, I still need to select 3.3V on both.

I don't know why but I can't use PrtScrn any more. I wanted to post a screenshot.

Oh well, John is happily backing-up and I am tired enough to get some sleep.

Thanks again Lee, your package does it !

Nard

PS Lee, can I put that file on-line, on my TechStuff page ? For other desperate Win7 users ?

Quote:
John is happily backing-up
Yep and the pc hasn't crashed yet!

I have just found a driver on the ATEN website which seems newer than the one Win7 has, won't do anything until the back up is finished.

Happy dreams! :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Plons,
Funny you should mention the +5Volt level problem. One of my USB adapters ( I have about 6 of various types), will not work direct on a PC, but works fine through a $3 eBay USB hub, whether the hub is PC powered or whether it is pover from a external +5 V power supply. Go figure!

Lee -.-

Putty has been running for more than 2 hours without problems, ucon ran for about 1.5 hours but then windows locked up when it was time to put a new DVD for the backup, the prompt says to insert a new DVD, I push the eject button but then a pop up appears saying that the DVD has to be closed. This never ends and I had to turn off the PC destroying my 2 DVDs.

Tried another back up without ucon running, just in case, and the same thing happened so I gave up after about 4 hours of messing around waiting to complete the back up. :evil:

ucon has been running for about an hour now so I declare the issue solved. Not thanks to M$ or useless HP. :mad:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I am sure the non-Prolific USB device will work fine. I reckon W7 is pretty good. I have never owned a HP for the good reason that most people in the know have talked me out of it. HP is not the same Hewlett Packard of years gone by.

Lee -.-

I grabbed the HP because it was "cheap" and just to run AS6 for the Atmel seminar :?

Had they been using AS4 I would still be happily chugging along with my 11YO laptop which doesn't suffer with this problem. In fact I would have never known about the Prolific driver as it has a REAL RS232 port. :)

I just got an email from the concerned HP support guy who wanted me to reinstall Windows :shock: when I knew that it wasn't going to fix anything so I'll need to be kind.

There is a new driver on the ATEN website for win7 etc. but I could not get it to work with XP so I won't bother trying it out on the laptop. I wasted enough time for a few dollars worth of hardware.

Just stay away from Prolific stuff until they fix things.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Pages