Terminal program crashes win7 [solved several times...]

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
Author
Total votes: 0

(Win7 64bits Home premium)
As I mentioned in another thread I have been having some issues with my laptop crashing, not happy!

I have narrowed it down to the use of Putty at first and the ucon terminal programs. The terminal within Studio, limited as it is, doesn't seem to crash the computer.

I have the latest version of Putty 0.62 and it crashes in a strange way, the program locks up but can be terminated however the applications still show up as active but it can also be terminated, the process however cannot be terminated and the serial port is locked and no other program can use it.

Everything else seems to still work.

It's another story with ucon, the laptop simply goes into blue screen mode and stops working, when it restarts I get an error report and minidump files which are now in the hands of HP for further analysis. Apparently there is an "isssue" with ntoskrnl.exe (I think)

At first I thought that it was a combination of AS6 (of course... :? ) Adobe and the terminal because they were always open when the crash occured, but then I have been able to run AS6, including it's terminal, and Adobe all day without a crash. Either of the above mentioned terminals will crash after a short period of operation, maybe several minute.

M$ didn't want to know and passed the buck to HP which were helpful once I got in touch with them last night. The "usual" things were suggested, full memoty scan, HD scan and as a last resort reinstall windows which I can't do as no disk came with the machine.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

teraterm.. did you try with that? Or else you can get the age old hyperterminal to work with win 7 too by copying some dll.

The point is of course that I want HP or M$ to fix the "issue". :)

I have 4 terminal programs running on the XP machine without problems. The post is just in case some clever person here knows a fix and I can bypass the stupidity of trying to get M$ involved in this which, I'm sure, will be fruitless.

HP were very helpful and once I do the suggested, several hours tests, I will go back to them if nothing comes up. The support guy did find something in the minudump files I sent him, so maybe they will come up with a fix shortly.

Meantime I will need to suffer with the AS6 terminal.
hmmm may even try Hyperterminal.. :evil:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Surely there is a c terminal program that will compile with an express compiler. Teraterm is written in turbo pascal which I guess is now delphi, but no source avail. I have a trivial console app one. Anyone else want to start something on sourceforge?

Imagecraft compiler user

I had problems with my Win7 & AS4/AS6 etc. the moment I went from XP. I tracked down to a Prolific USB-RS232 adapter (in fact several of them).
It would fail with just about every terminal program. I tracked it down to Prolific having adapted the driver, which get installed by Vista/Win7, so that the driver would detect [url=http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/]Chinese copies of the USB chip[/url], which were not quite a copy, so that Prolific exploited this fact to throttle the code!
I suspect that the driver probably does this check every character however does not fail all the time, but sooner or later it does. I assume, it is a propagation delay or some such thing that they are testing for.
I fixed the problem by installing an earlier XP driver by forcing it.

It may be the cause or it may be of interest to someone.
Damn... the embedded link does not work ???
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/

This is the Prolific warning
Please be warned that counterfeit (fake) PL-2303HX (Chip Rev A) USB to Serial Controller ICs using Prolific's trademark logo, brandname, and device drivers, were being sold in the China market. Counterfeit IC products show exactly the same outside chip markings but generally are of poor quality and causes Windows driver compatibility issues (Yellow Mark Error Code 10). We issue this warning to all our customers and consumers to avoid confusion and false purchase. Prolific prohibits the distribution of any PL-2303 drivers (including download links) without written permission from Prolific.

Prolific advices end-users to only purchase vendor branded cable products with company name contact information for service and support. Prolific does not sell cables with Prolific brand and packaging. In case you suspect a counterfeit chip inside, you may also contact Prolific to provide the vendor information.

Charles Darwin, Lord Kelvin & Murphy are always lurking about!
Lee -.-
Riddle me this...How did the serpent move around before the fall?

John
Brays terminal works just fine in both Win7/32 and Win7/64 if that helps.

The other thing oyu can try is to right click on the application and select Properties and click on the COMPATIBILITY tab. THen check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:'
and select your OS from the drop down

Attachment(s): 

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than to attempt nothing and succeed. - Fortune cookie

Don't hang your hat on expectations because this often leads to disappointment.

I was about to write...CRASH!!

This the unit I have, don't know if they are using the Prolific chip, the unit is sealed and can't see anything inside.
http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pid=2005022316346005&psid=20050117102915002&pcid=20050107104554001

As I was about to say I downloaded the old Hyperterminal (they want 60 bucks for it for the non trial version, they are dreaming!!) and it run for a while. I then downloaded a newer version of ucon, just in case, and it was running for about 10 minutes and then crashed.

So the crash is definetly due to the terminal programs or the USB adaptor. Both work well with Win XP however.

I'll see if I can find another USB to RS232 dongle in the junk box just in case the issues are with the driver as Lee suggests.

I wonder how comes that the AS6 terminal doesn't crash! The developers will get a big head if they find out. :lol:

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I have W7/64bit Premium Home as well. I have & use several terminal programs and all work OK since the USB was solved.
Yes, I can recall that it always took some time and when one's confidence was high that, "whatever I did to try & fix the crashing" was now working, it would crash at the most critical aprt of a transfer or test (Murphy's law).
I don't know about ATEN. Their website does not state what chip they use.
What does Windows report as to whose driver it is , version etc.
In any case, try an XP driver. You must remove any drivers before forcing a backward driver.
A lot of my ham friends have had problems with USB crashing on updates to a new PC & Vista/W7.
AS6 might be bypassing the installed driver???

Lee -.-

Quote:
What does Windows report as to whose driver it is , version etc.
haha it is a prolific driver!! signed by M$ as hardware compatible, so looks like Altronics sold me pup.

They don't seem to have that brand in stock anymore. I think I got it 3 years ago.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I'm using WIn7 64bit. Brays HTerm and others work OK. Let's not blame the terminal program if it's indeed the USB driver.

ATEN: I've had one for years. I think it uses FTDI's chip and as we know, FTDI's drivers are correct, and, I think, built-in to the windows distributions and updates. Linux too, I think.

The 2 and 4 port Edgeport USB/Serial boxes... I've had 3 and never any driver issues, and never issues with COM numbers changing at a whim. I've found them at low cost on eBay. Digi International owns them now.

I've had many USB/serial adapters from China that were less than crap. I just cuss and toss it into the trash can and admonish myself for even trying that one. Most were ones someone gave me to use.

You wouldn't really know what was in a Jaycar unit. There is a small utility which Prolific provide for determining the version of the chip. I am not sure if it tells you it is a fake or not or whether it just tells you it is not prolific. G.. knows!
I have quite a few Chinese adapters steve and have not had a problem, until the dodgy-Prolific issue came about.
IIRC, none of the older Prolific chips will not work after W8. Something to look forward to.

Lee -.-

Pages