Running AVRStudio on Linux

Go To Last Post
77 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

Is anyone interested in running AVRStudio on Linux? Version 4.12.490 Service Pack 3 runs perfectly using Fedora Core 5 with Wine 0.9.19. It also works along with WINAVR 20050214.

Attachment(s): 

I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Very interesting!

Quote:
It also works along with WINAVR 20050214.

Will you test it out with the recent WinAVR distribution?

Do you own a STK-500, and if so, can you control it with this setup?

Is that dog in your avatar mooning at me? :)

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I tried my STK500 board here at work, but it didn't respond, I'm not sure if it isn't broke though. I'll try my STK500 at home, and my serial ISP. I know AVRStudio was sending data on the serial port, but this darn STK board wasn't responding.

I'll try the latest WINAVR tomorrow.

Yes, that's my Jack Russell terrorist mooning everybody. He is mildly insane, so you'll have to forgive him.

John

Well, I am running Avrstudio 4.12 on Linux since a while ago (from Wine 0.9.14 I think) and I can confirm that JTAG-ICE and Avrprog (for avr910 programmers) are working correctly. However, there are some prerequisites for Avrstudio to run on linux such as Internet Explore (5,6,etc) and at least one native dll (msxml3 I think).
John, can you post more details regarding software dependencies, native dlls, etc, needed for Avrstudio on your workstation?

Daniel

ninevoltz9 wrote:
Is anyone interested in running AVRStudio on Linux? Version 4.12.490 Service Pack 3 runs perfectly using Fedora Core 5 with Wine 0.9.19. It also works along with WINAVR 20050214.

Would you be so kind to describe step by step how to install AVR Studio on FC5? Maybe a small HOWTO?
Have you used Wine rpms from FC distribution?
TIA.

Here's my how-to as requested.

Attachment(s): 

Looking in the PFD you posted, I see your comment about not installing the USB driver as it probably won't work. So AVR Studio won't be able to work with AVR JTAGICE mk II or AVR Dragon. Pity. :cry:

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

I mainly use AVRStudio for simulation, I don't have an ICE so for me it isn't an issue, but gdb+AVRDUDE might work better in Linux for that sort of thing.

I'm happy to report that the serial ISP and STK500 will both work perfectly with AVRStudio running in Linux.

Hi,
Thanks for the guide. I followed it and now I have build 498 running under wine in FC6.
There were some steps I had to do and which were not in your doc:

• version 4.07 of avrstudio can be found on the net if you don't have it on CD
  • there's no need to uninstall it when installing 4.12. Just tick checkbox to continue 4.12 installation, when prompted
  • msxml3.dll had to be set to (native/builtin) in order to get 498 build to start
Hope it helps.
BR,
Chris

Does anyone have a link to Avrstudio 4.07 - Closest I can find is v4.06 from a very slow source.

I found this link to 4.07, hope it helps

http://www.51kaifa.com/zxxz/File...

I´m in the process of installing this on Xubuntu Feisty, will let you know if it works.

Thanks for a great guide and a wonderful forum!

thanks for the howto!

i used this link for the 4.07:
http://www.sl.com.cn/down/downlo...

Additionally i had to put the files from
http://www.sweetpotatosoftware.c...
in the install- and ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Atmel/AVR Tools/AvrStudio4-directory to avoid R6034-Error messages
(wine-bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug....).

Thank you for the great howto.
I'm now running AvrStudio4.13. But I can't connect to the
Stk500, it seems that AvrStudio can't find the Board.
The serial connection should be ok, avrdude works.

Chris

edit: Problem solved. I forgot to change the rights on /dev/ttyS0...

Hi,
On the weekend I had to reinstall linux(now using FC7) and I cannot get 4.13(nor 4.12) to install. :(
It gives error R6034(msvc80 problem) during installation. I tried to copy the files from the ZIP above to install dir, but still during the install process there's a popup, that one of the libs cannot be registered.
Could you please write a few sentences, that how you managed to install AvrStudio 4.13? Do you set wine to emulate WinXP or Win98?
Thanks,
Chris

Hate to jump in on an old thread, but I got WGAed to death and I'm not buying another copy of windows XP(I won't even consider Vista) I still have one pc with windows XP, but I'm paranoid about changing any hardware and it's my only gaming system(all I use it for now).

Any suggestions for a native Linux development environment(assembly)? USB is not implemented in Wine so My Dragon is out.

I will try to get Studio to work under Wine 9.42(latest) and OpenSuse 10.2 (why do I need to install IE first?) what version of Wine did you use? was it before 9.38?

Just An FYI avrstudio 4.13 with IE4linux (IE5)installed on Opensuse 10.2 with wine 9.42 installs fine, However I am unable to run due to the lack of MDAC 2.8
I'm not messing with my XP as I have been burned by WGA to many times(I have three licensed copies that I paid full retail for! for only one pc)

Anyone know of a source for these files? Other than M$ of course.

Quote:

why do I need to install IE first?

Because Studio uses MSXML which, with Microsofts usual logic, is distributed with IE?

> Any suggestions for a native Linux development environment(assembly)?

Basically whatever you prefer. Gnome (IMHO) and KDE both have their own
software development IDEs, but there are plenty in Unix. This starts
with the classical candidates Emacs and VIM (which are much more than a
simple text editor, and once you got used to them, you ask yourself how
you could develop software before with all those poor-featured editor
widgets), there's a distinct set of happy Eclipse users where there's an
AVR plugin for (but you'll probably better have 1 GiB of RAM for that),
and there are certainly many more.

Usually, you'll assign a hotkey to start the build process, which in
turn simply calls "make all". All of these should come with reasonable
GDB support, so you can hook up the Dragon to GDB through AVaRICE.
AVR-GDB lacks a bit of love (iow., it doesn't have any active maintainer),
so some nice features are missing (like a decent symbolic access to the
IO ports), but it comes with other features you won't find in any of the
klicki-bunti debuggers, like arbitrary C expressions in any print and
assignment statements.

Jörg Wunsch

Please don't send me PMs, use email if you want to approach me personally.

Thanks people for your responses!
Currently I'm using Emacs(not my favorite, but I learned on it back in the stone age so at least I'm not lost) as I manage a computer store for a friend I have a nice PC so I'll give Eclipse a try. I will miss the one application development environment of AVRStudio though.

AAARG!
I tried to get this to go all yesterday without success:
In wine with both debian package and the version from git, I could not install AVRStudio 4.07, and 4.12 gave the R6034 errors . I copied boththe folder and the contents thereof into the AVRStudio4 directory without success.
Crossover office gets me to the splash screen then no further.
In all cases to get anywhere I had to set the windows environment to win98 to get as far as I did.

It has been a while since the oiginal howto came out. I was hoping to say "This is the new way now..." no way, so ime back asking for advise

tia

Jasper

With wine 0.9.44 and wine-doors I was able to install and run AvrStudio4.13 with ease. Primarily I did two things:
a. Install all of windows specific fonts, runtime libraries from wine-doors.

b. Put msxml3.dll, ole32.dll, oleaut32.dll, rpcrt4.dll in native mode. These builtin dlls have some functions which are not yet implemented/buggy.

With these I was able to get AvrStudio to run. I will try out WinAvr or avr-gcc tonight and see if they work too.

cheers
:D

I forgot to mention in step a select IE6 too in wine-doors gui.

Hmmm, I hvae no such luck.
I uninstalled wine from git and installed 0.9.44 debian package frm winehq, installed wine-doors.
Ran wine doors, got a few errors that didnt seem to matter. Installed IE6 from the wine-doors gui.
Installed AvrStudio4.13
set native dlls... ... download the dll's and put in the AvrStudio4 directory.
run AvrStudio, and get the rot... error in creating avr framework. removed the native dll thingees and I get the splash screen, then it errors out.
I wonder if its the version of dll that I got from dllarchive. I tried adding the dll's from the link above, but same thing.
Is it possible to try your .wine dir to see if thats the issue or its a debian/wine related thing.

cheers \\
Jasper

Can I post my entire Wine dir in this forum? It is few megabytes.

I think there is size limit to what I can post. Try these:

a. Delete old wine dir and using wine-doors 0.1 install everything Microsoft specific - dcom98, mdac etc. Please make sure wine-doors doesnt give out any error and installs everything (though it might spew lots of garbage while doing so).

b. Wine-doors will automatically put odbc32 and odbccp32 dlls in native mode. Use winecfg to check that.

c. From a windows machine get all the four dlls. I have an XP machine which I dont use so I copied all the four dlls from there. It is important you take the dlls from a running machine.

It should work.
FYI: I am using Puppy Linux 2.17 and I had to compile almost everything to get the thing running.

:D

GadNabbit!
I just cant force the damned thing to work.
Doing as you say, delete .wine, reinstall every windows component and font with only the Y:\\Desktop thing errors which I dont think matter. Some things produce error but dont when they are installed after others, so it seems the order is important...
Anyway, with all that done and the dll's provided by wine-doors I get the splash screen then errors and starts the debugger. The error seems to be about msxml:

fixme:msxml:bsc_QueryInterface interface {79eac9e4-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b} not implemented
fixme:msxml:xmlnode_get_xml 
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x4c898f (thread 001b), starting debugger...

So I copied the dll's from dllarchive including msxmls and rcpsomething to the AvrStudio4 dir, and set them native, and it errors out way before the splash screen.

I have compiled wine from source to eliminate debian as the problem, and have included the dll's if you could try them and see if avrstudio continues to work.

Wine-doors would seem to give us a very convinient way to install avrstudio, once we figure out how to make it work... Assuming that the problem isn't gross negligence or mental deficiency...
Could you post your dll's as well so I can try them and see if things improve. My w.wine dir is 229Meg so not mch good to uplad when the limit is 1Meg, and no .bz files allowed...

Attachment(s): 

Looks like I need to create a how-to to get AVRStudio working in one shot. I changed Y: to C: in system.reg and user.reg files inside wine to be sure that these are not causing the problem. I am not sure if it really helped my cause. I will try your dlls tommorow but looks like they are of different date and size than mine. That might well be the reason why it is failing. Can you reboot your wine through wineboot command and send me the log which gets generated when you try to run AVRStudio?

FYI: I was able to run WinAVR from within AVRStudio with some tweaking of registry files and using Portable WinAVR instead of regular WinAVR. I downloaded my first code to AVR Butterfly via serial cable and it worked!!! Believe me I find AVRStudio much much better than all the opensource IDEs and plugins available on Linux. I wish wine and wine-doors are able to come out with a version which can do away with MS dlls.

Please put the native dlls in .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory and do a wineboot. Otherwise wine will use built in dlls and it will not solve your problem. Wine log should not display fixme:ole:xxxxx, fixme:msxml:xxxx etc messages since the calls are made to native version and wine loses execution control for those calls.

Looks like my msxml3 is a bit dodgy...

Attachment(s): 

The problem is that ole32 and oleaut32.dll being used is builtin not native. Using winecfg to make ole32 oleaut32 rpc4rt msxml as native only (no native, builtin). Do a wineboot and it should work.

BTW also make sure that you are copying these dlls in system32 folder and register them using regsvr32. Also please delete the system folder which is there inside the wine. If there are files in system folder copy them to system32 folder. Create a soft link called system which points to system32 folder.

Hi,
I tried the steps you described, the 4.13 is installed OK, but whenever I start it I get the "Cannot connect to ROT" messages.
Do you use win98 or win2k emulation?
Thanks,
Chris

I use default win2k. Just post me logs so that i can see which dll is creating problem. Also please try putting msvcrt.dll msvcrt40.dll and msvcrt80.dll in native mode. Which Linux are you using?

Hi,
I get following error:

Quote:

[ganyaik@DeepThought AvrStudio4]$ ./AVRStudio.exe
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC"
fixme:win:WIN_CreateWindowEx Parent is HWND_MESSAGE
fixme:reg:RegOpenUserClassesRoot (0xc0, 0x0, 0x2000000, 0x33ef4c) semi-stub
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionGuid 00000001 (null) 4 {e1436b4e-bb62-4f9e-b60e-473a82a239b6} 0x33ef20
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionGuid 00000001 (null) 4 {e1436b4e-bb62-4f9e-b60e-473a82a239b6} 0x33eecc
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionGuid 00000001 (null) 4 {e1436b4e-bb62-4f9e-b60e-473a82a239b6} 0x33e840
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x40e206 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x0040e206).
Register dump:
CS:0073 SS:007b DS:007b ES:007b FS:0033 GS:003b
EIP:0040e206 ESP:0033f1c0 EBP:0033f208 EFLAGS:00010206( - 00 - RIP1)
EAX:00000000 EBX:00000000 ECX:00000000 EDX:781c3b84
ESI:00602e68 EDI:00000000
Stack dump:
0x0033f1c0: 0043379f 3eb1d565 ffffffff 00602e68
0x0033f1d0: 00000000 00000000 00602e68 0033f1c8
0x0033f1e0: 0033f27c 0033f1bc 0033f1c0 009441e0
0x0033f1f0: 00602e68 009441b0 0033f1c4 0033f27c
0x0033f200: 00555614 00000002 0033f288 004496ae
0x0033f210: 3eb1d5e5 ffffffff 00602e68 00000001
Backtrace:
=>1 0x0040e206 in avrstudio (+0xe206) (0x0033f208)
2 0x004496ae in avrstudio (+0x496ae) (0x0033f288)
3 0x30303932 (0x2e302e36)
4 0x00000000 (0x00000000)
0x0040e206: movl 0x0(%eax),%edx
Modules:
Module Address Debug info Name (97 modules)

There's something wrong with the msvcrt8.
Chris

Execution path seems to be different than mine. I hope you are using win2k emulation and not win98.

My guess it is not able to instantiate COM object belonging to AVRStudio AvrRot3.dll. Use regedit to search for avrrot3.dll inside registry. Make sure path is c:\Program Files\Atmel\Avr Tools\xxxx. Wine is not able to laod either this dll or its dependent dll(s). There is a utility called depends.exe which you can use to figure out what all dependent dlls are for a windows executable or dll. Do you have some place where I can post my entire wine folder just to check whether its a system issue or config issue?

All in all I know its a big pain to make AVRStudio run. I guess its high time somebody started AVRStudio4Linux project.

SUCESS!!!
What a F*ing Idiot I have been!!!
When you said put ole32 and oleaut32 in native mode I thought, yea yea, whatever Ive done that what kind of fool do you think I am.... Well I didnt read very carefuly and I was putting obdc32 and obdcc32 instead of ole32 and oleaut32.

SO my procedure:
wine and wine-doors from git/svn (not sure if nescesarry)
run wine doors, and install all the fonts and microsoft components, keeping a backup of .wine every step in case one fails. when one fails restore the backup and try nother microsoft component. Eventually they all install without failing
do a wine reboot.
set msxml3, ole32, oleaut32, and rpcrt4 to native mode. No need to get the dll's from anywhere else. They come from the m$ stuff installed above.
wineboot -r
then install avrstudio 4.13 (build 528)

wineboot -r

Now it workes. All I want now is for it to talk to the dragon I want to get...

Is this what you have done ganyaik? If not could you try it and see if what skhare suggested forms a method. Then if so we could figure out the wine-doors xml thing and try and get avrstudio added to the repository (If ive understood how it wolks from my very cursory look at it.)

Dammit! The Y:\Desktop thing!
I have no file browser, so cant load or save anything.
Where does wine keep its settings for the Desktop integration? I cant find where this is set. I tried to make a symlink for Y: pointing to my home directory, but didnt work.

Go to system.reg and user.reg and change y: to c:. Create a directory named Desktop inside .wine/drive_c/. Wineboot -r and it should solve the problem.

Worked perfectly, cheers.
(I symlinked Desktop to ~/Desktop)

If you like the one stop shop feel of studio have a look at kontrollerlab from www.cadmanic.org.

HTH

Scarletpimpernal wrote:
Worked perfectly, cheers.
(I symlinked Desktop to ~/Desktop)

Hi,
Sorry for being quiet, didn't have internet so far. :(
Followed the steps you described previously and this one and AvrStudio now starts up!
Only minor problem is, that when browsing directories from "Open Project file" window, sometimes the whole thing hangs. Apart from this so far so good.
Thank you very much for your help!
Chris

Hallo Leute,

ich habe es zwar noch nicht geschafft avrstudio unter wine stabil ans laufen zu bringen, aber schon mal vielen Dank fuer eure Tipps!

ich konnte allerdings eure Links auf die 4.07 nicht oeffnen, habe aber einen Link auf 4.08 gefunden:

http://www.gaw.ru/html.cgi/txt/s...

viele Gruesse, sebastian

Well, it took me a few days but I managed to install AVRStudio 4.14 under Ubuntu 8.04. I must admit that I haven't tested thoroughly yet but it seems to work fine at least for the time being. I wrote a HOWTO explaining all the steps I made to install it successfully, who knows, it make come handy for some of you.

Attachment(s): 

So, now I know how ICs work:
they work with smoke.
Cause every time you let the smoke come out of an IC, it stops working.
I can prove it, too...

Thanks Aor_Dreamer for your great HOWTO. it is very helpful
but what about WINAVR??? Did you install it?? and if yes, how??
I'm using FC8, and hope everything will go smoothly as in your HOWTO.
many thanks again

Ahmed

Yes, I did install WINAVR, just download the latest one and run:

$wine WinAVR-2008xxxx-install.exe

Hopefully you'll install it normally like in a Windows platform.

they work with smoke.
I can prove it, too...

Very nice How-To.

BTW What theme are you using with Ubuntu? It looks nice

@Trollicus_Rex (from earlier in the thread)

Even if Wine won't play well with USB, you can use AVRdude to talk to your dragon.

I have Emacs and AVRdude talking to an STK500 happily on an old laptop. On my very fast Ubuntu machine I use Eclipse and Emacs.

I think as long as you can cofigure your own build process with a Makefile, it doesn't really matter what IDE, text editor etc you are happy using. At worst you have a terminal window open with "make all" ready to be entered ;)

Atmel is already using Eclipse for the AVR32 Studio, hoopefully one day they will move AVRStudio to it as well. I only say this so I can have a native Linux AVRstudio - not as any attack on the AVRStudio product as it currently is.

Dingo_aus wrote:
Very nice How-To.

BTW What theme are you using with Ubuntu? It looks nice

Thanks, the theme I'm using is Cillop-Midnite found in http://art.gnome.org

Quote:
Atmel is already using Eclipse for the AVR32 Studio, hoopefully one day they will move AVRStudio to it as well. I only say this so I can have a native Linux AVRstudio - not as any attack on the AVRStudio product as it currently is.

The new AVR-Eclipse 2.2 plugin supports MCU burning with avrdude from within the IDE, which is really handy. Who knows, maybe one day we'll see AVRStudio based on Eclipse, although I doubt it since AVRStudio is really good as it is.

they work with smoke.
I can prove it, too...

Just in case somebody was looking for avr studio 4.07:
http://kn.ict.pwr.wroc.pl/~vic/f...
http://cid-2106db9a775c2af0.skyd...
(second link is basicly the first one copied to my skydrive account)
also some useful files here: http://kn.ict.pwr.wroc.pl/~vic/i...

I am so glad to have AVR Studio now on Linux! Thanks Aor_Dreamer!
But now I take a look to run "Hapsim" on Wine! It is a LCD- Simulator which can integrated to AVR-Studio! It is also a free Software and can be download on Web! But on Wine it doesn't run! A Error-message open which means "Device list not found" Have anyone an idea how it can run?

Pages