Into to programming atmel chips

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Author
Total votes: 0

Does any one know where I can find a good tutorial or two on programming Atmel chips in either c or c++? I'm not new to programming, I know enough c++ to get me by but when it comes to programming chips it beats me.
Any help would be great, thanks.
Brian

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

Some of those helped me a bit but I'm looking for a straight up AVR c tutorial as I know how to program but I don't understand all the terms and stuff for programming an Atmel or other chip in c/c++. There's a link on there for AVR c tutorial but it's no longer around. Thanks though.

Have you bothered to scroll down the page I provided and check every related link?

Warning: Grumpy Old Chuff. Reading this post may severely damage your mental health.

When you say 'programming', do you mean transferring the hex file to the avr to be burned in flash? Or do you mean typiing c source code into an ascii file to be compiled? Compiling can be done using avrstudio, free download from atmel.com. Burning can be done using avrstudio and an avrisp mkii $35 from atmel store.

Imagecraft compiler user

no I haven't clicked on every link as not every link is going to help me. I checked everything under beginners sites and learning AVR assembly as well as learning c and tutorials and good manual entries. Like said some of it explained stuff to me and I got a better look at what I was trying to figure out.
I somewhat understand addressing on the chips now (still have to read up more on it) and other stuff like that.
I'm still confused on all of the different terms with programming it, like DDRD and PORTB and all that jazz for doing simple I/O stuff, I'll get into more advanced later.
I don't get what those terms mean or exactly how to use them. I get that you say, for example DDRB = 0xFF to set pins as outputs, but exactly what pins and what writing that does I don't know.

By programming I mean writing c code, sorry. I know how to use AS4, make hex files and transfer code to chips, I just don't know how to write the code for the chips.

Try reading the "C in 16 pages" chapter in the imagecraft help file in the demo version of the compiler.

Imagecraft compiler user

He did even better - has read the "Newbie" tutorial in 14 minutes since I posted the link :lol:

You need to read the datasheet for the chip you are using. It will tell you what "DDRD and PORTB and all that jazz" is.

7Dswinger wrote:
I just don't know how to write the code for the chips.
You don't need to - any code already exists on the Internet. Just google for it and enjoy :lol:

Pages