Problem to recognise AVRISP mkll programmer

Go To Last Post
15 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi

 

I just received an AVRISP mkll. I am using Windows 10. When I plug it in the computer and try to upload a code in my circuit, from the tool propreties, as option, I see only simulator and custom programming tool. I think that i should also see AVRISP mkll programmer right? but it's not there. If I choose custom programming tool, I would need to enter a custom programming tool command which I don't know what it is...

If I click next, next.. I see the error in the attached picture: cannot execute empty custom programming tool command. Please provide a command to execute and try again.

 

Also, in the device manager, I see an exclamation mark in the ports and Atmel. I think that I shouldn't see this mark if it's correctly recognised.

 

Can you help me solve this problem in order to program the microcontroller correctly?

 

Kind regards,

Attachment(s): 

Amigo Alex

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

... and what's the error message in the Device Manager (double click one of the Atmel things)?

:: Morten

 

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I just received an AVRISP mkll

A REAL Atmel unit? They have not been made for several years. Anyway as it says there the device is NOT a debugger so you can't debug with it as you are trying to do.

 

Also it is likely that you have a fake Prolific chip.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

meolsen wrote:

... and what's the error message in the Device Manager (double click one of the Atmel things)?

 

The error is:

 

This device can not start. (Code 10) The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.

Amigo Alex

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

js wrote:

I just received an AVRISP mkll

A REAL Atmel unit? They have not been made for several years. Anyway as it says there the device is NOT a debugger so you can't debug with it as you are trying to do.

 

Also it is likely that you have a fake Prolific chip.

 

I bought this from ebay. It's very possible that it's fake because it wasn't expensive. Is there any way to correct it to use it as real Atmel unit? or is it really impossible to program with this? 

 

Amigo Alex

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Amigo2 wrote:
Is there any way to correct it to use it as real Atmel unit?
No

Amigo2 wrote:
or is it really impossible to program with this?
Might be possible if the Prolific USB UART and Windows driver are functional.

The following PL2303 AVRISP is usable in AVR Studio 4 :

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/USB_AVRISP_PL

The clone AVRISP mkII :

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/USB_AVRISP_XPII

LUFA AVRISP2 is a function-like that has a signed driver by one at Atmel (pre-Microchip) :

http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/AVRISP.php

 

Waveshare AVR tools on eBay :

http://stores.ebay.com/WaveShare/Programmers-Debuggers-/_i.html?_fsub=2822958010&_sid=826039540&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

gchapman wrote:

Amigo2 wrote:
Is there any way to correct it to use it as real Atmel unit?
No

Amigo2 wrote:
or is it really impossible to program with this?
Might be possible if the Prolific USB UART and Windows driver are functional.

The following PL2303 AVRISP is usable in AVR Studio 4 :

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/USB_AVRISP_PL

The clone AVRISP mkII :

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/USB_AVRISP_XPII

LUFA AVRISP2 is a function-like that has a signed driver by one at Atmel (pre-Microchip) :

http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/AVRISP.php

 

Waveshare AVR tools on eBay :

http://stores.ebay.com/WaveShare/Programmers-Debuggers-/_i.html?_fsub=2822958010&_sid=826039540&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

 

 

Even after downloading PL2303, LUFA, and AVR Studio 4, I am still stuck and unable to correct the error. It didn't change anything for my case after testing that.

Amigo Alex

Last Edited: Thu. Oct 19, 2017 - 03:08 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I'm at a loss for alternatives; ideally, the Prolific device driver would of improved the issue (LUFA is mostly for USB megaAVR)

Might browse what data that PL device is sending.

Microsoft

Microsoft

USBView

05/23/2017

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/usbview

USBView (Universal Serial Bus Viewer, Usbview.exe) is a Windows graphical user interface application that enables you to browse all USB controllers and connected USB devices on your computer. USBView works on all versions of Windows.

...

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

gchapman wrote:

I'm at a loss for alternatives; ideally, the Prolific device driver would of improved the issue (LUFA is mostly for USB megaAVR)

Might browse what data that PL device is sending.

Microsoft

Microsoft

USBView

05/23/2017

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/usbview

USBView (Universal Serial Bus Viewer, Usbview.exe) is a Windows graphical user interface application that enables you to browse all USB controllers and connected USB devices on your computer. USBView works on all versions of Windows.

...

 

I fixed the exclamation mark for "Ports: Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COMM 15)" in device manager. There is no more exclamation for it. However, I still have an exclamation mark for "AVRISP mkll" under Atmel in device manager as in my picture ( " avrisp exclamation mark.png) from my first post. And the programmer still isn't recognised (This device can not start. (Code 10) The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.). Do you know how to solve the exclamation mark for "AVRISP mkll" under Atmel in device manager once there is no exclamation for "Ports: Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COMM 15)"  ? Thanks,

Amigo Alex

Last Edited: Sat. Oct 21, 2017 - 07:13 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Amigo2 wrote:
Do you know how to solve the exclamation mark for "AVRISP mkll" under Atmel in device manager once there is no exclamation for "Ports: Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COMM 15)"  ?
No (I have STK500, AVRJTAGICE mkII, Atmel-ICE, Power Debugger, mEDBG)

The PL2303 Waveshare AVRISP states it's for AVR Studio 4.18; likely the same for your AVRISP based on a Prolific USB UART.

Atmel Studio 7.0.1417 can interface with a STK500 via WinUSB (Jungo for before Atmel Studio 7.0.1416); maybe your AVRISP has a STK500 interface.

Your AVRISP is very likely not an Atmel AVRISP mkII, clone, or function-like.

 

https://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/DVD_AVR8_EN/data/product/USB_AVR_ISP_V30_PG-1-1.htm

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/USB_AVRISP_PL (via User Guide)

Atmel Studio

How do I get my Tool to be Recognized by Atmel Studio?

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/GUID-ECD8A826-B1DA-44FC-BE0B-5A53418A47BD/index.html?GUID-E5FD89BC-A8CB-41A4-A383-7C722586107E

 

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

So you have the COM port working, that's a good start. You can try to connect as if it was a stk500. Open AS7, go to "tools", then "Add target..." select stk500 and the COM port, COM15 I suppose.

Alternatively, go to "view"->"Available Atmel Tools", then right click on an empty space in the tool window, and choose "Add target...", then it's the same as above.

If you are lucky AS7 will recognize it.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

El Tangas wrote:

So you have the COM port working, that's a good start. You can try to connect as if it was a stk500. Open AS7, go to "tools", then "Add target..." select stk500 and the COM port, COM15 I suppose.

Alternatively, go to "view"->"Available Atmel Tools", then right click on an empty space in the tool window, and choose "Add target...", then it's the same as above.

If you are lucky AS7 will recognize it.

 

Hi,

Thank you. When I do that and press to program a circuit with ATMEGA328, I get the following error instead:

Error: Failed to enter programming mode, ispEnterProgMode: Error status received: Got 0xc0, expected 0x00 (Command has failed to execute on the tool)
My circuit is powered by 5V 
Do you know if my programmer is recognised from this error?
Do you know the cause of this error?

Amigo Alex

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Yes, that error might be because you don't have any target chip connected to the tool. Try to connect it to some chip.

 

edit: oh, sorry, disregard that, now I see you had a circuit connected. I have sometimes that error if no chip is present to program. In your case, I have no idea, sorry...

 

For example, I can reproduce that error without a target:

 

Failed to enter programming mode. ispEnterProgMode: Error status received: Got 0xc0, expected 0x00 (Command has failed to execute on the tool)

Unable to enter programming mode. Verify device selection, interface settings, target power, security bit, and connections to the target device.

Have you verified everything advised by the error? That is, the security bit, connections, etc...

 

And yes, Studio now recognizes the presence of the programmer, and is talking to it, but not getting the responses it wants.

Last Edited: Sun. Oct 22, 2017 - 06:03 PM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

El Tangas wrote:

Yes, that error might be because you don't have any target chip connected to the tool. Try to connect it to some chip.

 

edit: oh, sorry, disregard that, now I see you had a circuit connected. I have sometimes that error if no chip is present to program. In your case, I have no idea, sorry...

 

For example, I can reproduce that error without a target:

 

Failed to enter programming mode. ispEnterProgMode: Error status received: Got 0xc0, expected 0x00 (Command has failed to execute on the tool)

Unable to enter programming mode. Verify device selection, interface settings, target power, security bit, and connections to the target device.

Have you verified everything advised by the error? That is, the security bit, connections, etc...

 

And yes, Studio now recognizes the presence of the programmer, and is talking to it, but not getting the responses it wants.

 

Thank you. Maybe it's because I didn't connect anything to the pin NC 3 (picture attached). What is the meaning of NC 3 and what should I connect to it ? Is it No connection pin? If yes, what is the purpose of that pin in that case?

Attachment(s): 

Amigo Alex

Last Edited: Tue. Oct 24, 2017 - 02:48 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

That pin is not connected, it doesn't have any purpose. The problem is something else.