(Outdated) Script for building AVR-GCC 4.5.1 on Linux

Go To Last Post
343 posts / 0 new

Pages

Total votes: 0

Hi, I was wondering how this installer script differs from the WinAVR package. I see that the newest "stable" WinAVR release consists of GCC 4.3.2 + avr-libc 1.6.4 + a lot of patches. Bingo's script uses more recent sources but with less patches. Which of these would be the more bug-free package?

WinAVR has a pretty large user base, so I guess their packages get quite a lot of testing. Also, it would be nice (sometimes even compulsory) to get the exactly similar avr hex files from both Windows and Linux development environments.

So, my question is, would it be a good idea to also provide an installer script that installs a package exactly like the WinAVR but for Linux? Or do you think that Bingo's script is in all aspects better, and instead we should use this script also in windows?

slintone wrote:
Hi, I was wondering how this installer script differs from the WinAVR package. I see that the newest "stable" WinAVR release consists of GCC 4.3.2 + avr-libc 1.6.4 + a lot of patches. Bingo's script uses more recent sources but with less patches. Which of these would be the more bug-free package?

WinAVR has a pretty large user base, so I guess their packages get quite a lot of testing. Also, it would be nice (sometimes even compulsory) to get the exactly similar avr hex files from both Windows and Linux development environments.

So, my question is, would it be a good idea to also provide an installer script that installs a package exactly like the WinAVR but for Linux? Or do you think that Bingo's script is in all aspects better, and instead we should use this script also in windows?

The script & patches i use is based on the FreeBSD repository (Jörg maintains it).

If you want to build a toolchain , that uses WinAVR patches (Eric.W/EW maintains it) , have a look here.

Its the toolchain builder that comes with FemtoOS , made by Ruud Vlaaming.
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

The choice is yours , but to build the toolchain on windows , seems like a waste of time. Since WinAVR is allready made there.

I would expect WinAVR & this script to generate the same code , but sometimes (well most of it ...) WinAVR is a bit ahead of the FreeBSD repository.

/Bingo

Hi

buildavr-no-insight.sh will not build manily because of a missing file : binutils-patch-avr25-wraparound-reloc.diff

I use zip provided above, namely
build-avr-gcc-4.3.3-libc-1.6.7-insight6.8-arch25-fix.zip

EDIT:
In file get-pathes.sh i saw the note aboute skipping wget for this patch since its a part of atm package. However, I need to research more to understand what that means..

EDIT:
I did a super guess and assumed it refferes to patch-avr25-wrap at the freebsd server. I installed this and renamed it to binutils-patch-avr25-wraparound-reloc.diff and restarted build. That seems to fix the problem. Hope it was the correct patch though, from Joerg... :roll:

Regards
Vidar (Z)

----------------------------------------------------------

"The fool wonders, the wise man asks"

@Zainka

I don't understand the above mail.

The "get-patches.sh" script vould automaticly rename the included patch file to the needed .diff file , when running.

Quote:

# The AVR Architecture 25 Relocaction wraparound patch is included in the package atm , so skip the wget
#wget -c --user-agent=MyBrowser http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvswe...
#
# Rename to our patchname
#
mv patch-avr25-wraparound-reloc.patch binutils-patch-avr25-wraparound-reloc.diff
#

The reason i included the patch in the download , was that the FreeBSD repository wasn't updated with the new patch. When i made the buildscript.

I have has several messages about the file in the first post in this thread , building succesfully.

/Bingo

Okay.. My fault I unpacked the zip and must have deleted patch-avr25-wraparound-reloc.patch, how I do not know... which it already contained. Sorry for that.

Regards
Vidar (Z)

----------------------------------------------------------

"The fool wonders, the wise man asks"

Please, for the love of all that is holy, at the top of the very first post, in all caps, add the line:

YOU MUST LOG IN TO DOWNLOAD THE SCRIPTS

I banged my head against the wall for half an hour trying to find the gorram scripts everyone kept talking about and couldn't find them anywhere. Only after I gave up and decided to create a forum account to tell you all what nasty horrible evil people you all were did I actually see the download links for the scripts. If you're not logged in you don't see them. It's incredibly frustrating for a noob. Please, save other people from this frustration.

@17-Dec-2009
Updated the ".deb" install package , w. a new avrdude binary , containing a PDI patch. (See .txt file in the download site)
Read more here

Get the package here.
http://www.wrightflyer.co.uk/avr...

/Bingo

@06-Jan-2010
Made an "interrim" release , that fixes a bug within avrdude , when using dragon and ISP

Source here

.deb here

/Bingo

@16-Jan-2010
Updated buildscript to include avrdude-5.9 , in below thread

I'll move it to this thread , when i come back to Denmark

/Bingo

If you expierence this error :

cc1: error: missing argument to "-mmcu="  

Your make is to old ,the script requires minimum "make v3.81" , see here

/Bingo

@26-jan-2010 , updated script & .deb to avrdude 5.10 , all other unmodified.

/Bingo

@Bingo600

There is a little bug that does not appear in WinAVr 20100110.

Compiling the demo for Appnote AVR1300 (ATXmega128A1) the generated code for the ISR entry sequence has a bug.
This is only when compiled on Linux by the compiler generated by your last build script. The code generated by WinAVR 20100110 does not have this error.

Listing generated on Linux

ISR(ADCA_CH3_vect)
{
 244:  1f 92         push  r1
 246:  0f 92         push  r0
 248:  0f b6         in  r0, 0x3f  ; 63
 24a:  0f 92         push  r0
 24c:  08 b6         in  r0, 0x38  ; 56
 24e:  0f 92         push  r0
 250:  18 be         out  0x38, r1  ; 56
 252:  09 b6         in  r0, 0x39  ; 57
 254:  0f 92         push  r0
 256:  19 be         out  0x39, r1  ; 57
 258:  0b b6         in  r0, 0x3b  ; 59
 25a:  0f 92         push  r0
 25c:  1b be         out  0x3b, r1  ; 59
 25e:  11 24         eor  r1, r1
 260:  0f 93         push  r16

You see at address 250, 256, and 25c that R1 (__zero_reg__) is used to clear RAMPD, RAMPX, and RAMPZ before it is initialized in 25e.

Listing generated with WinAVR 20100110 does not generate this error.

ISR(ADCA_CH3_vect)
{
 244:	1f 92       	push	r1
 246:	0f 92       	push	r0
 248:	0f b6       	in	r0, 0x3f	; 63
 24a:	0f 92       	push	r0
 24c:	08 b6       	in	r0, 0x38	; 56
 24e:	0f 92       	push	r0
 250:	09 b6       	in	r0, 0x39	; 57
 252:	0f 92       	push	r0
 254:	0b b6       	in	r0, 0x3b	; 59
 256:	0f 92       	push	r0
 258:	11 24       	eor	r1, r1
 25a:	18 be       	out	0x38, r1	; 56
 25c:	19 be       	out	0x39, r1	; 57
 25e:	1b be       	out	0x3b, r1	; 59

I think there is a patch missing.

Edit: Jörg Wunsch is currently searching for the missing patch.

... the only thing you cannot unscramble is eggs...

Ok , i'll talk to Jörg

/Bingo

Bingo,

If you are updating the script you might also want to take this request into consideration:

clawson wrote:
Bingo,

If you are updating the script you might also want to take this request into consideration:

Will see what i can do ...

/Bingo

when can we expect the 32u2 support from the last winavr.

I cant get a working avr-libc from this plus the patches from the latest winavr and now have a toolchain that claims but it has the target but the freshly rebuilt libc cant link the crtmxxx files. Jeorge just send the linux folk with this problem to your script.

I'm waiting for the WinAVR patches to be migrated over to the FreeBSD repository.
Until that happens , there is nothing i can do.

I haven't got any clue about the timeframe.

/Bingo

I started there but the only place the patches seem to be is in the Winavr source directory (which requires access to a windblows machine !#@$@!#$@!!!! )

So ...

Yeah.

Whats up with the normal patch migration?
Are we all just stuck here until atmel puts a nail in the open source and open platform coffin?

I'm sure Erik won't mind me posting the patches from the latest Winavr here , they are allready included in the exe package.

Now you can patch your own toolchain.

/Bingo

Attachment(s): 

Released a "Special Unsupported version" of avr-gcc , based on the above patches

See

/Bingo

Rereleased this version

But hope i have linked gmp & mpfr static , meaning it ought to work on 64bit also.

See here

/Bingo

This is not related to GCC , but occationally someone asks id AvrStudio can be run under Linux
This post seems to have helped people to do just that.

/Bingo

@08-03-2010
Updated the script to build with binutils 2.20

But Jörg have updated avr-gcc also 8) 8)

Now i suppose we have a toolchain that is as up to date as the latest WinAVR.

I'll have to do that later hopefully in this week

/Bingo

@09-Mar-2010
Updated the avr-gcc script , to build avr-gcc-4.3.4 and binutils-2.20.
Added 2 patches to avr-insight/avr-gdb.
Added a builtins.h file in the builddir , see readme for use

Added a package-versions file , now versions are only maintained in that file.
Added a new "automatic" way to patch binutils , gcc & insight.

Thanx to Jörg the linux (FreeBSD) build , now has the same patches as WinAVR-2010. A big thankyou to Jörg & EW.

Also uploaded as .deb package avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.deb
Get the package here (thanx to clawson for hosting).

/Bingo

I tried using the package, and I got the following error:

Error: wrong architecture 'i386'

Is there any way of fooling my machine into believing it is of this architecture :P This seems to be one of the downsides of packages.

My architecture is x86_64

If we don't have a solution, I may just have to install a very small separate version of linux for compiling, but it's a real hassle to switch OSes just to test a program.

Can you confirm it was the 23rd Feb "special" version that Bingo built according to this thread:

He had hopes that WOULD work on x64 architecture.

Or were you simply saying that dpkg barfs because of an architecture flag in the .deb metadata? If so then from "man dpkg" I note:

Quote:
--force-things | --no-force-things | --refuse-things

Force or refuse (no-force and refuse mean the same thing)
to do some things. things is a comma separated list of
things specified below. --force-help displays a message
describing them. Things marked with (*) are forced by
default.

Warning: These options are mostly intended to be used by
experts only. Using them without fully understanding
their effects may break your whole system.

and
Quote:
architecture: Process even packages with the wrong archi-
tecture.

So maybe try "dpk -i --force-things architecture
.deb"

clawson wrote:
Can you confirm it was the 23rd Feb "special" version that Bingo built according to this thread:

Should have specified. I tried the latest version:

"avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.deb"

I'll try the force flags. I was simply using the GUI version of the package manager, I'll try those options on the command line. Thanks!

clawson wrote:

So maybe try "dpk -i --force-things architecture
.deb"

I tried

sudo dpkg -i --force-things x86_64 avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.deb

and got

dpkg: unknown force/refuse option `things'

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL) [*].

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !

So then I tried

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture x86_64 avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.deb

and got

dpkg: error processing x86_64 (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
 package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
Selecting previously deselected package avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.
(Reading database ... 139633 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010 (from avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.deb) ...
Setting up avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010 (0.1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 x86_64

I get the same error when I try forcing the arch. as AMD64 (instead of x86_64). Not a very verbose error either :P

My reading of the man page is that the words literally are "--force-things architecture" not that either "things" or "architecture" is a placeholder for you to fill in with some value. All you are saying is that "usually you do an architecture check, this time skip it"

clawson wrote:
My reading of the man page is that the words literally are "--force-things architecture" not that either "things" or "architecture" is a placeholder for you to fill in with some value. All you are saying is that "usually you do an architecture check, this time skip it"

johnny@johnny-desktop:~/Installers and Packages/AVR-GCC$ dpkg -i --force-things architecture avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.deb
dpkg: unknown force/refuse option `things'

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL) [*].

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !
johnny@johnny-desktop:~/Installers and Packages/AVR-GCC$ 

You gotta love Linux man page documentation - I bet the utility's author knew what he was talking about when he wrote that - shame he's failed to convey it to the users!

Nothing wrong with the man page.

Since decades things written in bold in man pages are to be typed literally. Things in italic are placeholders. And that's how the dpkg man page is written, too.

So now guess what -force-thing means? And what architecture means in the -force-thing list of things?

And there is nothing about any kind of further parameter to -force-architecture, so why is the OP dreaming up an imaginary x86_64 argument?

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

AH! I was reading the man page on a web site not a real Linux machine and they'd failed to copy the syntax highlighting:

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man...

Its only the special static that would work on 64bit
It's based on winavr-2010 patches.

As the other versions would try to load 32bit GMP & MPFR dynamic libs.

/Bingo

Last Edited: Tue. Apr 6, 2010 - 05:32 PM

ArnoldB wrote:
Nothing wrong with the man page.

Since decades things written in bold in man pages are to be typed literally. Things in italic are placeholders. And that's how the dpkg man page is written, too.

So now guess what -force-thing means? And what architecture means in the -force-thing list of things?

And there is nothing about any kind of further parameter to -force-architecture, so why is the OP dreaming up an imaginary x86_64 argument?

Thanks for clarifying that for me, and teaching me a thing or two about manpages in the process :D

I'm relatively new to Linux. I used it at school a bit, but never to install packages (wasn't allowed), or compile massive programs from source.

There is a short thread about the 64bit version (well actually 32bit static linked version) here.

And damien_d shows how he's installing it on a 64bit AMD , and made a short succesfull compile.

/Bingo

bumping the insightver from 6.8 to 6.8-1 in package-versions fixes the tk.tcl error mentioned earlier in the thread. Both patches still apply. It now runs fine in ubuntu 9.10.
from the insight homepage:

Quote:

Updated Insight 6.8-1 available
Insight 6.8 has been available for some time, and the current release tarball has issues with newer versions of X11. As a result, I am making available a patched Inisght 6.8-1 release which should fix all outstanding issues with X11.

alohre wrote:
bumping the insightver from 6.8 to 6.8-1 in package-versions fixes the tk.tcl error mentioned earlier in the thread. Both patches still apply. It now runs fine in ubuntu 9.10.
from the insight homepage:
Quote:

Updated Insight 6.8-1 available
Insight 6.8 has been available for some time, and the current release tarball has issues with newer versions of X11. As a result, I am making available a patched Inisght 6.8-1 release which should fix all outstanding issues with X11.

Thanx for the info ...

Will prob. incorporate it in the next script release ...

Until then ... One can just do as you did

/Bingo

Hello,
i'm running Ubuntu 9.10 on 64 bit and first tried to install the current .deb (at the moment 32 bit version) by

sudo dpkg --force-install -i avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-09-mar-2010.deb

but had problems with libusb and libreadline, which couldn't be found... or with set LD_LIBRARY_PATH yields the error "wrong ELF class...".

But here, what works for me now:
- installed avr-gcc-4.3.3-avrfreaks-25-feb-2010-special-static.deb (was said that this runs for 64 bit)
- installed the package ia32-libs (for libusb-0.1-4 32 bit)
- downloaded libreadline5 (e.g. http://packages.ubuntu.com/lt/karmic/libreadline5 the i386 package!)
- not installed but unpacked the contained lib*.so-files to /lib32

I'm happy that i could getting it to run but it would be nice if there will be a out-of-the-box working .deb (i myself am only freshman).

Thanks a lot!
John

@30-apr-2010

Build a toolchain on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - i386
avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-30-apr-2010-u10.04.i386

Get it here

The only change to the toolchain is , the substitution of insight6.8 with insight 6.8.1

I will try to see if i can build an x64 version during the weekend.

/Bingo

Uploaded a "Real" x64 package . build on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - amd64

Same as above

avr-gcc-4.3.4-avrfreaks-30-apr-2010-u10.04.x64.deb

Please test ....

/Bingo

Hi all,
however I used winavr on windows, I'm a novice in using avr-gcc on Linux. Winavr gave me the comfort to forget Makefile and now I'm in trouble.
I suppose I got the message below due to the wrong setting of makefile:

steve@apa:~/projects/avr/galvan$ make
avr-gcc -I. -I/usr/local/avr/avr/include -g -mmcu=atmega16 -Os -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -funsigned-bitfields -funsigned-char -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-ahlms=galvan.lst -c galvan.c -o galvan.o
avr-gcc -Wl,-Map,galvan.out.map -mmcu=atmega16 -lm /usr/local/avr/avr/lib -o galvan.out galvan.o
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.4/../../../avr/bin/ld: crtm16.o: No such file: No such file or directory
make: *** [galvan.out] Error 1

However I've asked Google and man as well, I didn't find the proper switches and paths for the "LIBS=" line of Makefile.

Please help me to start...

Thanks,
Istvan

dircon wrote:

/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.4/../../../avr/bin/ld: crtm16.o: No such file: No such file or directory
make: *** [galvan.out] Error 1[/i]

Is this installed using one of the above .deb packages, the script, or did you apt-get the avr-gcc ?

-- Damien

Quote:

Is this installed using one of the above .deb packages, the script, or did you apt-get the avr-gcc ?

It was installed by using the .deb package.
Istvan

dircon wrote:
Quote:

It was installed by using the .deb package.
Istvan

Can you please output the following command?

damien@damien-desktop:~$ which avr-gcc
/usr/local/avr/bin/avr-gcc

Quote:

Can you please output the following command?
Code:

damien@damien-desktop:~$ which avr-gcc

Uhhh... yes, a few hours later. You know, I am working now and the problem is at my home computer. (It is a hobby project.) I will check as I get home.
Istvan

Damien,
you hit the nail on the head:

The command "which" says avr-gcc is here:
/usr/bin/avr-gcc
but there is another one in:

Perhaps the first is from an unsuccessful installation - I guess due to the old date.
steve@apa:/usr/bin$ ls -l /usr/bin/avr-gcc
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 199912 2009-11-27 15:20 /usr/bin/avr-gcc
steve@apa:/usr/bin$ ls -l /usr/local/avr/bin/avr-gcc
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 203932 2010-04-30 10:43 /usr/local/avr/bin/avr-gcc

But "apt-get remove" says there is no avr-gcc file - in contrast of "which" who says avr-gcc is here:
/usr/bin/avr-gcc

Shell I delete all avr related programs from /usr/bin/ manually?
Istvan

To find out what .deb's are installed use:

dpkg --get-selections

to filter the results maybe try

dpkg --get-selections | grep gcc

To find out which files "belong" to a specific .deb and will be removed if you either "apt-get remove" or "dpkg -r" it then use:

dpkg -L 

Quote:

To find out which files "belong" to a specific .deb and will be removed if you either "apt-get remove" or "dpkg -r" it then use:
Code:
dpkg -L

Unfortunately it does not help. It seems that avr toolchain was installed from source and was not a .deb package. I've tryed to setup a toolchain earlier and now I am probably hindered due to the rest of that unsuccesful experiment. I have no idea how to remove a program installed from source. So I guess I should
- remove Bingo's package
- then manually clean up /usr/bin directory from all avr-related programs
- and then re-install Bingo's package.
Any better idea?

dircon wrote:
. I have no idea how to remove a program installed from source. So I guess I should
- remove Bingo's package
- then manually clean up /usr/bin directory from all avr-related programs
- and then re-install Bingo's package.
Any better idea?

Technically you could make sure that /usr/local/avr/bin is on your path before the "other" place/package is.

But i'd clean out the "other" place , just to be sure.

There is no need for uninstalling the .deb
The deb only install files in /usr/local/avr , and as long as you don't touch anything there , you can leave it installed.

/Bingo

Pages