Online update to 7.0.1417 craves Windows update KB2978092.

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

EDIT: I could have sworn the problem described below made selecting Next in the wizard impossible. Somewhere during my trials it went enabled though the KB is still craved. Meanwhile I downloaded the offline installer (as I always have done in the past) and am currently running that. Will report on progress.

Still puzzled about the unavailability of the KB and that MS serves me something marked Windows6.1 when I claim Windows7...

Original post:

Today I attempted an online update of Atmel Studio for the first time. Telling Atmels Studio to look for updates eventually led to downloading as-installer-7.0.1417-web.exe . Upon running that it protests that I need Windows Update KB2978092:

This update is not listed in my Windows Update.

So I download according to the URL given in the sceenshot above. I carefully choose the update fitting my machine:

I end up with a file named Windows6.1-KB2978092-x64.msu . Notice the "6.1".

When I try to apply that file I am informed that it "does not apply" to my system.

Here's my system properties:

Could someone cast a second eye eon this and see if I missed something?

I tried searching for others with this problem, but came out empty. Anyone recognize this from any previous thread here?

Are you there Morten? Help!?   ;-)

This topic has a solution.

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Last Edited: Sat. May 13, 2017 - 08:15 PM
This reply has been marked as the solution. 
Total votes: 1

The warning is benign... Some of the cumulative updates from Microsoft fails to register the actual hotfix that we require/suggest (KB2978092 in this case, which fixes issues with the WARP acceleration for fallback rendering).

We have seen this a couple of times before and we try correct them retroactively (i.e too late... frown)

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Last Edited: Sat. May 13, 2017 - 07:34 PM

My copy of Windows 7 SP1 Pro has KB2978092 but its baseline was from HP approx 2015-March (after KB2978092)

Windows 7 can have patchwork updates that are consistent, patchwork updates that are not consistent, or cumulative updates (2016-Oct and subsequent)

An inconsistency is indicated by a System File Check (sfc.exe) error; if an error then attempt a fix by sfc.

Could try the System Update Readiness Tool.

Could go cumulative updates but that enables Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) (diagnostics and telemetry)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2978092/graphics-software-or-applications-crash-when-they-use-warp-for-software-rendering-in-windows

Microsoft

Microsoft

MSDN

System File Checker

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa382541%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness-tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history

https://www.microsoft.com/products/ceip/en-US/default.mspx

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Thanks for the information.

meolsen wrote:
We have seen this a couple of times before and we try correct them retroactively (i.e too late...
It's a moving target due to Microsoft Patch Tuesday that's once per month.

IIRC some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 updates are a preview of the next month's updates (gives system administrators a heads up)

Windows 10 has the Preview ring that gives software creators a heads up before an update is released.

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Hmmm, we only stop on required patches, not on suggested ones... The one you showed is optional..

SFC won't help unfortunately, it's an inconsistency in the hotpatch registration that triggers the false detection.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

Thanks Morten!

I swear the "Next" button was disabled for several attempts to install. It "magically" got enabled - something you can see in my screenshot but which I failed to observe...

I suppose the online/web install would have succeeded at that point but I was already on my way with the d/l of the offline installer. And that succeeded, so all is well that ends well.

Anyway, you're often the unsung hero re Studio, so as a small remedy I'm now humming a tune in your honor :-) I'll mark you post about the update being optional as the solution for anyone being in the same situation, and that happens to locate this thread.

Thank you!

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Hi All

I've just had exactly the same problem.

When I ran the install from a network drive the Windows Update warning appeared and the "Next" button was grey'd out.

When I moved it to the local HDD I got the warning but the "Next" button was active and the install proceeded normally.

Cheers 

Stewart

Stewart

I swear the "Next" button was disabled for several attempts to install. It "magically" got enabled

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to me; I started installing ALL the "optional updates", and at some point noticed that the "Next" button was actually active, but I'm not sure exactly when that happened.

Hello,

In my case there is an essential update missing and I have no chance to hit the button "Next", but the update *is* installed.

I tried to update to 7.0.1417 on Win 7 but it doesn't work. AS installer says that I have to update Windows KB2999226 (essential) and KB2670838 and KB2978092 (optional), but all are installed!

I tried to deinstall the 3 updates and reinstall using Windows Update - no success. AS installer doesn't finish the installation because of the missing updates.

What's going wrong and how can I install 1417?

Hans

Edit: Sorry for double posting. While updating the browser it was sent again and I don't know how to delete it. * Done. Ross *

Last Edited: Sun. Jun 18, 2017 - 12:30 AM

So here we go.   Side-by-side AS7 installer demanding particular updates, and Windows Update showing that they aren't available.

This is using the microsoft VM for Windows Explorer testing, W7 32bit (after letting it install all the mandatory updates.)

Thank you gentlemen for posting the above.  I wasted an hour or so updating (to no avail), then came here find the "Mystery of the Update Craving" revealed.  I think this has happened a time or two in the past.  I never think to just click "Next".  Thanks again!

Field the chicken, ignore the ball.