Old unsupported equipment ATmega128L-8AU

Go To Last Post
25 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello ... Can some one help how to copy or clone my old, unsupported, discontinued hand probe equipment used ATmega128L-8AU with AT45DB Flash Ram.. What equipment is required to read and write to PC ? 

I am using two old hand probes and one of the unit stops working and MCU failed. other one is working.. Both are same and how to replace and reprogram or clone the working ATmega128L-8AU for the defective probe unit? It is having AT45DB Flash Memory accompanied with MCU..

If the protection fuses have been set, you will NEVER be able to recover the code. But if you wish to pay around US$500, there is someone in Russia offering a recovery service. I have never used it and would not gamble US$500 trying it either.

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

What is a "hand probe" ?

How do you know it's the MCU that has failed?

The cheapest way to try would to be to grab a copy of Avrdude (free) and a cheap avrusb from eBay (no more than 5USD).

If you can read the contents then you can use the same setup to program your replacement chip.

If you can't read the contents then you've only lost $5.

'This forum helps those who help themselves.'

pragmatic  adjective dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical consideration.

Hello Awneil.. No display, Which I have mentioned Not working.. Opened the cover and found ATmega128L-8AU and it have 10 pin right angle header for programming.. one jumper for program enable / disable ... ISP Header -pin details: 1-PDI, 2-3.3V, 3-LED, 4,6,8,10-GND, 5-Reset, 7-SCK, 9-PDO...  Similar on both the units... How to read the complete program in working unit and how to transfer it to not working unit?  

Palani M wrote:
How to read the complete program in working unit and how to transfer it to not working unit?  

Already sugggested..

Brian Fairchild wrote:
The cheapest way to try would to be to grab a copy of Avrdude (free) and a cheap avrusb from eBay (no more than 5USD).

This might not work if the programming header is not of standard type.

This will not work if the lock bits have been set to prevent firmware readout.

This might not work for several other reasons. You just have to try it out.

Photos of the devices might help us give better answers.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Last Edited: Tue. Jan 2, 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hello Brian Fairchild... Thanks ... How to do that?. can you please help to send the procedure and required tools to my mail ID..nppl.gm@gmail.com 

No display on the unit, Which I have mentioned Not working.. Opened the cover and found ATmega128L-8AU and it have 10 pin right angle header for programming.. one jumper for program enable / disable ... ISP Header -pin details: 1-PDI, 2-3.3V, 3-LED, 4,6,8,10-GND, 5-Reset, 7-SCK, 9-PDO...  Similar on both the units... How to read the complete program in working unit and how to transfer it to not working unit?  enclosed the drawing..

Attachment(s): 

awneil wrote:
What is a "hand probe" ?

How do you know it's the MCU that has failed?

I'm still waiting for an answer to these questions!

Pictures please.

Jim

It helps if you embed the picture in the post - so that we can see it in the post:

Instructions for doing it are here: http://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...

So does this mean that you have a full schematic for the device?

Palani M wrote:
an you please help to send the procedure and required tools to my mail ID..nppl.gm@gmail.com 

Of-course he won't.

You can get the programming hardware from e.g. EBay. Search for "USBasp". You can double-check with us here boefire you buy that it it the right stuff you are about to order.

As for the programming software, the recommended one is AVRDUDE. What to get, and how, depends on the operating system you're using.

We're still waiting for some photos. And an answer to why you are so sure it's the AVR that has failed. (If for nothing else, then to  confirm that this isn't the same old clone-a-paintball-gun stuff that we've seen here so many times..)

Besides: It's not very wise to post your email address in the open like you did above. (The spammers who are trawling the Web for email addresses will soon find it, and you'll soon get an email telling you you've inherited a couple of million. O a message from "your bank" asking to confirm your online banking password..)

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Last Edited: Tue. Jan 2, 2018 - 02:40 PM

Yes, that seems to be a standard 10 pin ISP header, so I guess you can use a USBASP clone from ebay or aliexpress and try to read the flash contents, if it's not protected.
Be careful not to erase the chip accidentally.

OK..Thanks for the feedback.. I will upload the photo of the PCB...

Hello.. Here attached the PCB and please post the procedure of how to read the program through USBASP with AVRDUDE... 

http://www.avrfreaks.net/sites/default/files/forum_attachments/Probe_0.jpg

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Thu. Jan 4, 2018 - 04:49 AM

No need for us to post anything - the instructions are all on the interwebs ready for you to read. You’ve got the keywords - usbasp and avrdude. What you want to do is not unique- zillions of others have done it before and some have written a blog or howto.

Palani M wrote:

Hello.. Here attached the PCB and please post the procedure of how to read the program through USBASP with AVRDUDE... 

Do you have a programmer? If you don't, the first think to ask us is which one you should use, depending on your requirements.

I don’t have the programmer and ordered with AliExpress usbasp.. please guide which one I have to purchase

Well, USBASP is fine. Now you just need to wait for it to arrive. Be sure it comes with a proper 10 pin cable.

Meanwhile, study how to use "avrdude", this is the software you will need to use the programmer.

edit: well, I can tell you the command to read the flash, but there is no point since you don't have the programmer yet.

It's:

avrdude -p m128 -P usb -c usbasp -U flash:r:flash.bin:r

Last Edited: Thu. Jan 4, 2018 - 03:48 PM

Great, Thanks for your kind feedback.. As soon as I received the USBASP will trouble you...which version of AVRDUDE should I download ?

Well, I use the version that comes with the Arduino IDE.

So, I have to purchase Arduino? Please tell what is the ver ... is it 6.3?......

No, it's open source, you can just dl it. But it's easier if I just post the avrdude from my Arduino IDE, it's indeed version 6.3.

Attachment(s): 

Thanks.. as soon as received my USBASP.. I will inform you and kindly help to teach how to do it..

Yes, but remember post #3:

valusoft wrote:
If the protection fuses have been set, you will NEVER be able to recover the code. But if you wish to pay around US$500, there is someone in Russia offering a recovery service. I have never used it and would not gamble US$500 trying it either.

Maybe the chip is protected, maybe not. We will see.

Yes.. thanks