Lots of MCUs missing from AVR Studio 5's STK500 programming list

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello everyone!

I've just received my STK500 and I'm in the first steps of familiarization with it. I just hooked it up to avr studio 5 to see if my computer can see it, and it does, however in the programming window where you can select the device that you want to program, I can only see attiny13,a few members of the mega88, mega 8515, mega32 family, but for example no tiny861, no tiny85, no mega328, no tiny 84 and I want to use it mainly to program these missing microcontroller types. Can I update the list myself to have these MCUs in it, because I have seen websites and videos where folks just hook up the stk500 start the programming and they have for example attiny45 in their list, which is missing from mine? I have searched the net for info, but couldn't find anything (seems like I'm the only one with this problem).

Thanks for the help in advance!

Best regards,

szabikka

And on the 8th day, god, in his infinite wisdom, created the AVR microcontroller...

Remove AS5 and install AS7!

AS5 was a piece of trash...

Jim

:D Sounds good! But I have an old computer that can't even run AS 6, that's why I'm stuck with 5. Btw, in one of the videos a guy used AS 4 to program a mega328, so I think it should also be possible in AS5 too.

And on the 8th day, god, in his infinite wisdom, created the AVR microcontroller...

AS4.18 sp3 will work fine until you want to use one of the "newer" AVR's that is not supported by AS4. 

You can find it here:  http://www.atmel.com/tools/STUDI...

Jim

Keep in mind that a specific version of Studio might not support chip models that where released after the release of that version of Studio.

E.g. AVR Studio 5.0 was released in 2009 if my memory serves me.

The ATtimy861 was released in June 2010 (at the earliest).

Are you running AVR Studio 5.0 or 5.1?

Jim wasn't joking when he said 5.0 was trash. It is probably the worst, most full of bugs and deficiencies, version of AVR/Atmel Studio there has been. On the other hand, going for AVR Studio 4.18/19 might put you in an even worse spot with regards to supported AVR  models. Tough..

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Thanks Jim! Just one more question. Can I have both AS4 and AS 5 on my computer or having one excludes the other?

szabikka wrote:

Thanks Jim! Just one more question. Can I have both AS4 and AS 5 on my computer or having one excludes the other?

AS4 and AS5 rely on totally different Windows interfaces and libraries. They should not interfere with one another and you should be able to have both installed at the same time.

"He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack, or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track. Oh the engineers would see him sitting in the shade, Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made. People passing by, they would stop and say, "Oh, my, what that little country boy could play!" [Chuck Berry]

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Thanks for your answer Johan! I'm using 5.0 and so far I used AVR Dragon for uploading my codes to e.g. tiny861 and I could use it with AS 5, but Dragon always returned an error when I tried to parallel program mega chips, that's why I bought STK500.

How old is this PC? I have AS6_2 running on a 10+ year old machine without any fuss.

Ditch AS5 as the others have said. It was to Atmel what Vista was to Microsoft

Jim

If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue! - Kartman

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

I think my computer is from 2005 nad AS6 takes a lot of time to start on it, then, when I try to save a code or upload it, it just crashes.

If all you want to do is program a mega328, or the AVR that comes with the STK500 then just use AS4.19 until you can get a better machine.

JIm

If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue! - Kartman

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB user

Total votes: 1

Guys, thank you for all the help. It took 2 hours to install AS7 and guess what, it works flawlessly. Looks like my machine just didn't like AS6 indecision. Now in the drop-down menu of device programming there are all the MCUs that were missing in AS5. So, case is closed. Thank you! yes

szabikka wrote:
But I have an old computer that can't even run AS 6, that's why I'm stuck with 5
That does not sound right - AS5, AS6 and AS7 all have pretty similar requirements to run. If you can run one you should be able to run them all.

clawson wrote:

szabikka wrote:
But I have an old computer that can't even run AS 6, that's why I'm stuck with 5
That does not sound right - AS5, AS6 and AS7 all have pretty similar requirements to run. If you can run one you should be able to run them all.

Cliff, I think he in the mean time has managed to get AS7 up and running.

What I have seen is that AS5 and AS6 took ages and ages to start, specially compared to As4)  and that in AS7 they made significant seed improvements in the start-up behaviour.

AS5, AS6 and AS7 all have pretty similar requirements to run

The respective release notes states the system requirements for different versions of AVR/Atmel Studio. The lowest version of Windows are stated as:

AVR Studio 5:

• Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3 - all editions except Starter Edition • Windows Vista (x86) with Service Pack 1 - all editions except Starter Edition • Windows XP (x64) with Service Pack 2 • Windows Vista (x64) with Service Pack 1, • Windows 7 (x86 and x64) • Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 and x64)

Atmel Studio 6:

● Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3 - all editions except Starter Edition ● Windows Vista (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 1 - all editions except Starter Edition ● Windows 7 (x86 and x64) ● Windows 8 (x86 and x64) ● Windows Server 2003 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 ● Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 and x64) ● Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 ● Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)

Atmel Studio 7:

• Windows 7 • Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 or higher • Windows 8 / 8.1 • Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 • Windows 10

As far as I recall, the different versions of Studio (5 to 7) have been based on different version of MS Visual Studio Integrated Shell. And they, in turn, has required different versions of .Net, which in turn requires different versions of Windows.

All in all a terrible mess, and we're all hijacked by MS (through their accomplice Atmel) and Studio to eventually be forced into the dungeon that they call Windows 10.

Not advocating Java here (but I might...) but that is a platform whose updates does not require eternal transitions to new versions of operating systems. It's not technically impossible. Just sayin'...

I have not actually tried to run Studio 7 on e.g. Windows 7, but maybe I should. That might solve my problems with having a secondary system (apart from Linux Mint) virtualized to have easy access to Atmel Studio 7. So...

@szabikka: Could you report here what Windows version you're running (and perhaps what .Net version(s) you are running), please?

Johan, really do not hope they switch to Java.

might be the company programming the tolls but....

We have a couple of tools that run on Java, and with every update there for sure is something that is no longer working or started working just a bit different than before.

It even has been up to the point were we had to go to management and make sure that IT would no longer remotely update our PC's.

We now get a message from IT that a new java version is available, then we do the straw drawing to see who is going to update first and do the checking to make sure that the system did not completely crash.

again, might be the program, but knowing the troubles there always are with first updates of AS, I can imagine that we will be running into that too for AS.

that would mean people will stop using it very fast and the tool will dy.