ISP Programming of Mega103

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Using the dongle from STK300 and AVR ISP V2.65 on my laptop (Samsung P133 running Win95b) plugged onto my board which has code that will run (if not held in reset). The AVR ISP claims ATmega103 not detected. Further, all attempts to read the part return FF (as if it were a blank device). PEN is pulled to +5V and ATMega has +5V on Vcc. Cabling is per
the "interface using resistors" defined in the starter kit. I can't identify the problem. The original programmer has left the company.

Hello!

Note that PEN is inverted. You enable the serial programming mode by holding this pin _low_ during a power-on reset. This is described in the device datasheet.

Morten, AVR tech. support, Atmel FAE

Hi Jack,

You say that PEN is pull to 5V - what size is the pull-up resistor? 5kOhm would do fine.

Remember that the part should be powered and the clock source should be running to be able to program it. If you have not already tried it, replace the part with a new one, to make sure that the SPIEN fuse is not programmed.

Have you tried to disable the signature check in the options->advanced menu? The signature of the part was changed some time ago, so if you have signature check enabled you can get the message device not found (or something like that).

Regards,
Jacob

admin's test signature

The cable supplied with the STK300 (and 200 for that matter) marks pin 1 (stripe) with the wiring reversed for installation outlined for In-Circuit programming. If you make pin 1 on the header on your board PE0 as the diagram indicates in the STK300 manual, you need to reverse the cable from the dongle to connect pin 1 from the dongle to pin 10 on the header (basically turn the cable around).

I'm up and running.... thanks to all.

... and you need to turn off the signature check as suggested.

Jack